* Cygwin x86 end-of-life instructions worked really well
@ 2023-02-10 17:27 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2023-02-10 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

Just to say: the instructions at
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2022-November/010810.html
work really well. I used the following single command at the Command Prompt:
"setup-x86-2.924.exe --allow-unsupported-windows
--site http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2022/11/23/063457
-P package1,package2,..,packageN"
(all on one line) to recover completely my original Cygwin32 platform
(being Base + list of required additions).
PS1: If you visit this page there is an intrusive word "option" in the instruction
.. '--allow-unsupported-windows option --site circa_URL' ..
PS2: Can't actually remember where or how I got the required executable
setup-x86-2.924.exe

* Re: Cygwin x86 end-of-life instructions worked really well
@ 2023-02-12 16:35 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-02-12 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/02/2023 17:27, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
> Just to say: the instructions at
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2022-November/010810.html
> work really well.

You're welcome.

> I used the following single command at the Command Prompt:
> "setup-x86-2.924.exe --allow-unsupported-windows
> --site http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2022/11/23/063457
> -P package1,package2,..,packageN"
> (all on one line) to recover completely my original Cygwin32 platform
> (being Base + list of required additions).
> PS1: If you visit this page there is an intrusive word "option" in the instruction
> .. '--allow-unsupported-windows option --site circa_URL' ..

Yes, there's an unfortunate typo in that mail.  I've since fixed it on
the installer page [1], but I am lacking a time machine to fix the
original email :)

[1] https://cygwin.com/install.html#unsupported

> PS2: Can't actually remember where or how I got the required executable
> setup-x86-2.924.exe

If you didn't have it already, it's linked a bit a bit further down that
page, after "You have been warned... if you really need a 32-bit Cygwin...".