* 3.Using Cygwin, Special filenames, Invalid filenames
@ 2011-01-28 11:13 Masaki_Takasu
From: Masaki_Takasu @ 2011-01-28 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello;

Cygwin1.7.7 has a problem that incorrect to interpret the files created by Macintosh.

Steps
(1) Create a '"' in name of a file using Macintosh.(Mac OS X 10.6.6)
(2) To transfer file(created at step (1)) to Windows from Macintosh by SMB protocol.
(3) '"' in name of a file is converted to Unicode 0xF020 according to SMB protocol.
(4) To verify the file transferred to Windows using Cygwin "ls"command.
(5) Cygwin interprets Unicode 0xF020 as ' '(Spaces) in name of a file.

  ※ Character conversion table mapping code in SMB protocol
     References   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q117258/

     Macintosh ANSI  Unicode
     --------------------------------
     0x01-0x1F       0xF001-0xF01F
     "               0xF020
     *               0xF021
     /               0xF022
     <               0xF023
     >               0xF024
     ?               0xF025
     \               0xF026
     |               0xF027

Thanks.

---
Masaki_Takasu
  mailto:takasu_masaki@soarsystem.co.jp
---

[-- Attachment #2: cygcheck.out --]

* Re: 3.Using Cygwin, Special filenames, Invalid filenames
@ 2011-01-28 11:41 ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2011-01-28 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

2011/1/28 Masaki_Takasu :
> Hello;
>
> Cygwin1.7.7 has a problem that incorrect to interpret the files created by Macintosh.
>
> Steps
> (1) Create a '"' in name of a file using Macintosh.(Mac OS X 10.6.6)
> (2) To transfer file(created at step (1)) to Windows from Macintosh by SMB protocol.
> (3) '"' in name of a file is converted to Unicode 0xF020 according to SMB protocol.
> (4) To verify the file transferred to Windows using Cygwin "ls"command.
> (5) Cygwin interprets Unicode 0xF020 as ' '(Spaces) in name of a file.
>
>  ※ Character conversion table mapping code in SMB protocol
>     References   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q117258/
>
>     Macintosh ANSI  Unicode
>     --------------------------------
>     0x01-0x1F       0xF001-0xF01F
>     "               0xF020
>     *               0xF021
>     /               0xF022
>     <               0xF023
>     >               0xF024
>     ?               0xF025
>     \               0xF026
>     |               0xF027

Deja vu. You may be out of luck:
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-12/msg00178.html

See also: http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2008-04/msg00410.html
Macintosh. Think different!

Csaba

* Re: 3.Using Cygwin, Special filenames, Invalid filenames
@ 2011-01-28 11:45   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-01-28 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jan 28 11:14, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> 2011/1/28 Masaki_Takasu :
> > Hello;
> >
> > Cygwin1.7.7 has a problem that incorrect to interpret the files created by Macintosh.
> >
> > Steps
> > (1) Create a '"' in name of a file using Macintosh.(Mac OS X 10.6.6)
> > (2) To transfer file(created at step (1)) to Windows from Macintosh by SMB protocol.
> > (3) '"' in name of a file is converted to Unicode 0xF020 according to SMB protocol.
> > (4) To verify the file transferred to Windows using Cygwin "ls"command.
> > (5) Cygwin interprets Unicode 0xF020 as ' '(Spaces) in name of a file.
> >
> >  ※ Character conversion table mapping code in SMB protocol
> >     References   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q117258/
> >
> >     Macintosh ANSI  Unicode
> >     --------------------------------
> >     0x01-0x1F       0xF001-0xF01F
> >     "               0xF020
> >     *               0xF021
> >     /               0xF022
> >     <               0xF023
> >     >               0xF024
> >     ?               0xF025
> >     \               0xF026
> >     |               0xF027
>
> Deja vu. You may be out of luck:
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-12/msg00178.html
>
> See also: http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2008-04/msg00410.html
> Macintosh. Think different!

It's kind of idiotic that SFM uses another, incompatible mapping
than SFU.  Cygwin supports the SFU mapping, so you have to do
a second mapping using some perl script or so.  For the mapping
used in Cygwin, see
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-specialchars

Like SFU, Cygwin just transposes the charatcers into the 0xf0XX
range by adding 0xf000 to the ASCII value.

Note that you're out of luck when using slashes or backslash.  You have
to convert these filenames into names with different chars.

Corinna

Red Hat

* filenames with BANG
@ 2011-11-16 23:35     ` pen
From: pen @ 2011-11-16 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Need help, Cant access html file from lynx, even though its readable by other
commands.

$ ls -l "test bay#, wwid"
-rw-r--r--+ 1 test Users 50999 Nov 17 03:22 test bay#, wwid
$ file "test bay#, wwid"
test bay#, wwid: HTML document, ASCII text, with very long lines
$ head -2 "test bay#, wwid"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"

$ lynx -dump "test bay#, wwid"

Can't Access `file://localhost/cygdrive/e/test%20bay#,%20wwid'
Alert!: Unable to access document.

lynx: Can't access startfile

Played around and found that if i create any file with "#, " lynx cant
understand it.

Appreciate your help.

* Re: filenames with BANG
@ 2011-11-16 23:45       ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2011-11-16 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/16/2011 04:35 PM, pen wrote:

> Played around and found that if i create any file with "#, " lynx cant
> understand it.

Not answering your question, but it would help if your subject matched
your body: BANG is !, not # (the latter is hash, sharp, pound, or
octothorpe, depending on who you ask).

* Re: filenames with BANG
@ 2011-11-16 23:47         ` pen
From: pen @ 2011-11-16 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Oops sorry made a mistake.

eblake wrote:

> On 11/16/2011 04:35 PM, pen wrote:
>>
>> Played around and found that if i create any file with "#, " lynx cant
>> understand it.
>
> Not answering your question, but it would help if your subject matched
> your body: BANG is !, not # (the latter is hash, sharp, pound, or
> octothorpe, depending on who you ask).
>
> --
> Eric Blake   eblake@redhat.com    +1-919-301-3266

* filenames with BANG