* equivalent to su or sudo?
@ 2018-08-17 13:08 Ulli Horlacher
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Ulli Horlacher @ 2018-08-17 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I need to run some scripts with full administrator rights (for chown,
chmod, setfacl).
Is there a cygwin equivalent to su or sudo?

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK

* Re: equivalent to su or sudo?
@ 2018-08-17 13:36 ` john doe
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: john doe @ 2018-08-17 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4090301/root-user-sudo-equivalent-in-cygwin

--
John Doe

* Re: equivalent to su or sudo?
@ 2018-08-17 14:36   ` Ulli Horlacher
From: Ulli Horlacher @ 2018-08-17 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri 2018-08-17 (12:29), john doe wrote:
> On 8/17/2018 12:01 PM, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
>
> > I need to run some scripts with full administrator rights (for chown,
> > chmod, setfacl).
> > Is there a cygwin equivalent to su or sudo?
> >

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4090301/root-user-sudo-equivalent-in-cygwin

None of these answers work for me.
For example "cygstart --action=runas id" pops up a windows for
milliseconds without any chance to read it.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK
Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher@tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/
REF:<4abc3f66-5669-ca5d-d20f-17ef27176644@mail.com>

* Re: equivalent to su or sudo?
@ 2018-08-17 17:15 ` Andrey Repin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-08-17 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulli Horlacher, cygwin

Greetings, Ulli Horlacher!

> I need to run some scripts with full administrator rights (for chown,
> chmod, setfacl).
> Is there a cygwin equivalent to su or sudo?

If by that you mean "run privileged program inside a user terminal", no.
This is inherently insecure and not supported under Windows.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: equivalent to su or sudo?
@ 2018-08-17 18:55 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-08-17 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ulli Horlacher writes:
> I need to run some scripts with full administrator rights (for chown,
> chmod, setfacl).

Whatever runs these scripts must already have aquired administrative
rights.

> Is there a cygwin equivalent to su or sudo?

No, you can only start out with administrative rights and then drop them
when no longer needed (cygdrop --help).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: equivalent to su or sudo?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-08-18  3:50 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2018-08-18  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> I need to run some scripts with full administrator rights (for chown,
> chmod, setfacl).
> Is there a cygwin equivalent to su or sudo?

I use the following shell script to start a command as Administrator. I mainly just use it to start mintty.

#!/bin/bash
cmd="$(cygpath -da "$1")"; shift
if [ $# -gt 0 ]; then
  powershell Start-Process "$cmd" -ArgumentList \""$@"\" -Verb RunAs -WindowStyle Hidden
else
  powershell Start-Process "$cmd" -Verb RunAs -WindowStyle Hidden
fi

* Re: equivalent to su or sudo?
@ 2018-08-18 14:28   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-18 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/17/2018 4:33 PM, David Rothenberger wrote:
> Ulli Horlacher wrote:
>> I need to run some scripts with full administrator rights (for chown,
>> chmod, setfacl).
>> Is there a cygwin equivalent to su or sudo?
>>

> I use the following shell script to start a command as Administrator. I mainly just use it to start mintty.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> cmd="$(cygpath -da "$1")"; shift
> if [ $# -gt 0 ]; then
>   powershell Start-Process "$cmd" -ArgumentList \""$@"\" -Verb RunAs -WindowStyle Hidden
> else
>   powershell Start-Process "$cmd" -Verb RunAs -WindowStyle Hidden
> fi

You don't need powershell for that.

<file name="/usr/local/bin/runas">
#!/bin/sh
export PS1="% "
cygstart --action=runas mintty --title=Admin -e /bin/bash -il
</file>

The export of PS1 is to mark that the terminal window is in
administrative rights.  You can modify the shell program to dash, ash
zsh or whatever you favorite shell is.  Make sure to issue the
interactive and login support for the shell.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: equivalent to su or sudo?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-09-30 14:40 ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2018-09-30 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 6:01 AM, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> I need to run some scripts with full administrator rights (for chown,
> chmod, setfacl).
> Is there a cygwin equivalent to su or sudo?

I've actually found that after installing and configuring sshd as a
service, "ssh localhost" gives me an elevated shell without any hassle
(I'm part of the local admins group; you may have to modify to "ssh
admin@localhost").  If you want to use this as a replacement for
'sudo' without having ssh open to the network, modify your sshd
configuration to only accept localhost connections and as an added
layer, make sure your firewall denies all incoming network traffic to
sshd

-- Erik

--
"I do not think any of us are truly sane, Caleb. Not even you. Courage
is not sanity. Being willing to die for someone else is not sanity."

-- Alexandria Terri in "Weaving the Wyvern" by Alexis Desiree Thorne