From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Problem with output from gawk software in recent Cygwin installation
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 14:17:18 -0600	[thread overview]

On 2020-07-27 11:50, Michel LaBarre wrote:
>> On July 27, 2020 12:52 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> On 7/27/2020 11:47 AM, Bryan VanSchouwen wrote:

>>> I just tried executing an awk script using the most recent version of
> gawk,
>>> but the output did not turn out the way that it was supposed to.
>>>
>>> This script uses the following command to print the output data to the
>>> output file:
>>> print(cai[i], rpi[i], i) >
>>> "Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat"
>>>
>>> and previously, this command always printed the values of the three
>>> variables on a single line, separated by spaces; however, now the gawk
>>> software is automatically adding hard-returns between the values,
> resulting
>>> in the three values being printed on separate lines within the data
> file.
>>>
>>> What is going on here, and how do I permanently make it stop??

>> Here's a wondering: Could it have to do with line endings?  If Windows
>> CRLF is getting in there, then the variables might get a CR in them,
>> which might do weird things.  This assumes those are string variables,
>> not numeric.

> Better yet, how about an example using manifest constants
> in a one line sample to eliminate impact of arrays or changes in input data
> as in:
>    gawk 'BEGIN {print(1,2,3)}'
> or
>   gawk 'BEGIN {print(1,2,3) > "xxx.txt"}'

No problem with awk or gawk:

$ for ((i = 0; i < 10; ++i))
  do
    printf "%d %d %d %d\n" $((i+1)) $((i+2)) $((i+3)) $((i+4))
  done > test.txt
$ awk '{print($1, $2, $3)}' test.txt
1 2 3
2 3 4
3 4 5
4 5 6
5 6 7
6 7 8
7 8 9
8 9 10
9 10 11
10 11 12

So the issue appears to be with your command line, script, or input data file:
please show the command line used to execute the script, attach the complete awk
script, and input data file for diagnosis, or selections of the latter piped
through or output using cat -A to show control characters.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]