From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Problem with output from gawk software in recent Cygwin installation
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:08:07 -0600	[thread overview]

On 2020-07-28 09:32, Bryan VanSchouwen via Cygwin wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 12:06 AM Brian Inglis wrote:

>> gawk
>>> No problem with awk or gawk:
>>> $ for ((i = 0; i < 10; ++i))
>>>   do
>>>     printf "%d %d %d %d\n" $((i+1)) $((i+2)) $((i+3)) $((i+4))
>>>   done > test.txt
>>> $ awk '{print($1, $2, $3)}' test.txt
>>>     1 2 3
>>>     2 3 4
>>>     3 4 5
>>>     4 5 6
>>>     5 6 7
>>>     6 7 8
>>>     7 8 9
>>>     8 9 10
>>>     9 10 11
>>>     10 11 12
>>> So the issue appears to be with your command line, script, or input data
>>> file: please show the command line used to execute the script, attach
>> the
>>> complete awk script, and input data file for diagnosis, or selections of
>> the
>>> latter piped through or output using cat -A to show control characters.
>>> Here they are (attached). The script was executed with the following
>>> command:> gawk -f peak_intensity_correln_plot_compile.awk
>> Input files have <CR><LF> \r\n <ctrl-M><ctrl-J> line terminators and those
>> are
>> carried thru at the ends of the string fields:
>>
>> $ gawk -f peak_intensity_correln_plot_compile.awk
>> $ file *cPuMP*.dat
>> 2NH2-cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:            ASCII text, with CRLF
>> line
>> terminators
>> cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:                 ASCII text, with CRLF
>> line
>> terminators
>> Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat: ASCII text, with CR, LF
>> line
>> terminators
>> $ cat -A Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat | head
>> 1571697^M 1716833^M 224$
>> 2672863^M 2894992^M 225$
>> 2184902^M 9710015^M 226$
>> 4393362^M 4095908^M 227$
>> 3828609^M 4218978^M 229$
>> 6285045^M 4008320^M 233$
>> 3936959^M 4104667^M 234$
>> 1698322^M 1942553^M 237$
>> 4144791^M 4346435^M 238$
>> 2546328^M 2804338^M 239$
>>
>> You could change your input line terminators to "\r\n" e.g. option
>> -vRS="\r\n",
>> insert '{ sub( /\r$/, ""); before each 'split(x, s, " ")', convert your
>> input
>> fields from strings to numbers by adding zero i.e. cai[i] += 0; rpi[i] +=
>> 0; or
>> use belts, braces, and suspenders with all three, e.g.
>>
>> $ gawk -vRS="\r\n" -f peak_intensity_correln_plot_compile.awk
>> $ file *cPuMP*.dat
>> 2NH2-cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:            ASCII text, with CRLF
>> line
>> terminators
> [...]

If you had over 3 year old Cygwin packages on your Windows 7 system, as
changes for POSIX compatibility were made in the builds for test releases of
gawk, grep, sed coordinated and announced together in:

	https://cygwin.com/legacy-ml/cygwin/2017-02/threads.html#00152

Perhaps the issue is in whatever generated/s the files, or whatever you had
installed and in your path on Windows 7. Msys and Mingw versions of gawk may
ignore extra <CR>s on input, and may possibly also be included with Git for
Windows, or other Windows Unix-like packages.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]