* Postgresql 6. 5 runs on cygwin (the complete story)
@ 1999-06-19  3:27 Christian Jullien
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christian Jullien @ 1999-06-19  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I can confirm that Postgresql 6.5 works on NT. With all cards in hand, it's
not so complex.
I've heard that the current snapshot contains a README.nt which is not on
the official release, here is the roadmap that I used to make it run.

1) Prerequisit:
   Postgresql requires the following tools:

	cygwin B20.1 (I guess you know where to get full.exe :->)
	cygwin32_ipc-1.03.tar.gz (can't remember where I downloaded mine).
	libcrypt-cygwin-b20.1.tar.bz2
		ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/xfree (~8Kbytes)
      or 	ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/aux/cygwin-b20-local.tar.bz2
(~4.5Mbytes for just libcrtpt.a)

   ./configure should test that those packages are already installed.

2) launch bash

   Check if you have a valid /etc/passwd with your user entry.

   Check if you have a valid /usr/local directory

   bash$ mkdir /usr
   bash$ mkdir /usr/local

3) uncompress postgresql using tar and gzip (winzip does not create empty
dummy.s file)

   bash$ gzip -d -c postgresql-6.5.tar.gz | tar xvf -

3) check that MAKE_MODE is set to UNIX otherwise 'if' shell command will try
   execute cmd.exe but not /bin/sh 'if' shell.

   bash$ export MAKE_MODE=UNIX

4) inform the user to change or check Makefile.global to reflect its current
   installation. For example; my system didn't defined /sw directory for
bison files

5) Try configure

   bash$ sh configure

5) call the build process using 'make'

   bash$ make

   If this one hangs after fews minutes after try to find libcrypt.a check
that libcrypt.a in in your path.

8) Install the software

   bash$ make install

   Everything goes to /usr/local/pqsql

9) Setup environment variables in your .bashrc

   PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/pgsql/lib
   PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
   PGLIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/pgsql/lib:/usr/local/lib
   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH PGDATA PGLIB

   bash$ source .bashrc

10) initialize the system

   initdb --username=<login>

   where <login> is already set in /etc/passwd (see point 2)

11) Edit the file /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf, such as:

   host        all     163.17.11.109   255.255.255.0   trust

12) Launch /usr/local/bin/ipc-daemon.exe and postmaster in background

    bash$ ipc-daemon.exe&
    bash$ postmaster -i&

    you're ready to play with postgresql

    bash$ psql -h host_name template1

    Then I got :

    Error semaphore semaphore not equal 0
    Error semaphore semaphore not equal 0
    Error semaphore semaphore not equal 0
    Error semaphore semaphore not equal 0

    But I can create, insert, select, drop a new database

Thanks, to all people that helps me to understand what's was needed by this
port and specially Joost Kraaijeveld

Eligis: Christian Jullien (OOP consultant)
10, RUE REJANE - 95120 ERMONT (France)
Eligis@wanadoo.fr - +33 130.72.98.20

* Re: Postgresql 6. 5 runs on cygwin (the complete story)
@ 1999-06-21 16:39 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-06-21 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Jullien; +Cc: cygwin

> I can confirm that Postgresql 6.5 works on NT. With all cards in hand, it's
> not so complex.
> I've heard that the current snapshot contains a README.nt which is not on
> the official release, here is the roadmap that I used to make it run.

Hello Cristian,

I suppose many people would like to refer to your roadmap in next future. If you
would be so kind to set up an standard HTML3 version out of it we would like to
add it to our HOWTO section within our project's web site.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany

From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-06-21 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Jullien; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Christian,

does the latest PostgreSQL 6.5 port for Cygwin require binary mounts? And does
it work on Windows 9x based Cygwin environments too?

If so, I would like to add it to my WISH-LIST for the upcoming Cygwin DEV CD
Distribution beside mSQL.

Regards,
Stipe

--