* Something is rotten in recent snapshots
@ 1999-06-16 11:49 Chris Faylor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-16 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers; +Cc: vzell, cygwin

There is some kind of memory corruption in recent snapshots.  I'm
tracking down the cause now.  Unless you want to track down the problem
for me, you'd all probably be well-advised not to use any snapshot from
the last week or so.

Just in case anyone cares, the problem I see is that an attempt to close
all of the open handles in the spawn_guts() function uncovers the fact
that the heap is corrupted.  I'm trying to find out where the corruption
occurs now.

I don't suppose that Electric Fence has been ported to cygwin?

--
cgf@cygnus.com
http://www.cygnus.com/

* Re: Something is rotten in recent snapshots
@ 1999-06-16 12:26 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-06-16 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor, cygwin-developers; +Cc: vzell, cygwin

> There is some kind of memory corruption in recent snapshots.  I'm
> tracking down the cause now.  Unless you want to track down the problem
> for me, you'd all probably be well-advised not to use any snapshot from
> the last week or so.
>
> Just in case anyone cares, the problem I see is that an attempt to close
> all of the open handles in the spawn_guts() function uncovers the fact
> that the heap is corrupted.  I'm trying to find out where the corruption
> occurs now.
>
> I don't suppose that Electric Fence has been ported to cygwin?

I tried porting it then put aside.  i tink my X is more important now.

Suhaib

@ 1999-06-23  7:41 ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-06-23  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Chris Faylor

On 16 Jun 1999 at  2:50PM (-0400) Chris Faylor wrote:

> There is some kind of memory corruption in recent snapshots.
>
> I don't suppose that Electric Fence has been ported to cygwin?

< http://www.fay.nc.us/~glenn/cygwin/efence-cyg-2.2.2.tar.gz >

Please let me know if it compiles and operates properly.

-glenn

--
 )      Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, U. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |

* Re: Something is rotten in recent snapshots
@ 1999-06-25  1:19   ` Laurent CHARLES
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Laurent CHARLES @ 1999-06-25  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: glenn, cygwin; +Cc: cgf, CHARLES, Laurent

glenn@gs.fay.nc.us wrote:
> On 16 Jun 1999 at  2:50PM (-0400) Chris Faylor wrote:
> > There is some kind of memory corruption in recent snapshots.
> > I don't suppose that Electric Fence has been ported to cygwin?
> < http://www.fay.nc.us/~glenn/cygwin/efence-cyg-2.2.2.tar.gz >
>
> Please let me know if it compiles and operates properly.

I tried it and got some problems.

First, it compiles perfectly. Well, I didn't notice any problem, and
installed it with my /usr/local stuff (with the cygwin packages). I ran
'make all install prefix=/usr/local' from efence/cygwin directory.

I have a simple hello-world with a single 'char* p=(char*)malloc(10);'
line.
I compile it with 'gcc hello.c -o hello.exe -lefence'.

It crashes with a 'instruction references memory at "0x00000000"' error.
A simple debug session with gdb shows that it crashes at '0x61006cd2 in
_size_of_stack_reserve__()', before main.

Did you experience the same problem?
Maybe I have a bad compiler? 'egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)'

Thankx for your help.

--Laurent

* Electric Fence for Cygwin
@ 1999-06-25 10:25     ` Glenn Spell
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-06-25 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

(Subject changed from "Re: Something is rotten in recent snapshots".)

On 25 Jun 1999 at 10:16AM (+0200) Laurent CHARLES wrote:

> glenn@gs.fay.nc.us wrote:
>
> > On 16 Jun 1999 at 2:50PM (-0400) Chris Faylor wrote:
> >
> > > I don't suppose that Electric Fence has been ported to cygwin?
> >
> > < http://www.fay.nc.us/~glenn/cygwin/efence-cyg-2.2.2.tar.gz >
> >
> > Please let me know if it compiles and operates properly.
>
> I tried it and got some problems.
>
> First, it compiles perfectly. Well, I didn't notice any problem,
> and installed it with my /usr/local stuff (with the cygwin
> packages). I ran 'make all install prefix=/usr/local' from
> efence/cygwin directory.

Thanks.

> I have a simple hello-world with a single 'char*
> p=(char*)malloc(10);' line.  I compile it with 'gcc hello.c -o
> hello.exe -lefence'.
>
> It crashes with a 'instruction references memory at "0x00000000"'
> error.  A simple debug session with gdb shows that it crashes at
> '0x61006cd2 in _size_of_stack_reserve__()', before main.

I don't understand any of this. I'm not a programmer. I know that the
memory location is related to cygwin. I know that all references I
can find on the net to "_size_of_stack_reserve__()" relate to cygwin
or mingw (and Mumit reads them all!) or some articles on memory
management at Microsoft.

> Did you experience the same problem?

Actually, I haven't used it... I don't know how. I'm hoping my
legwork will help others who do know how to use it. Also, I don't
know if by "problem" you refer to the debugging information or the
crash.

Should efence be compiled with "-ggdb -gstabs" instead of "-g"?

Thanks for any help.

-glenn

--

@ 1999-06-26  1:22     ` tjoen
From: tjoen @ 1999-06-26  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Richard wrote:

> A simple debug session with gdb shows that it crashes at '0x61006cd2 in
> _size_of_stack_reserve__()', before main.
>
> Did you experience the same problem?
> Maybe I have a bad compiler? 'egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)'

I experienced the same in the Ace test-set, but after main in the
same function. But I think it is in the libs:
I used the 1.1 compiler with the 1.1.2 libs

Biggest frustration: there were no problems with VC6

* Re: Electric Fence for Cygwin
@ 1999-06-26 11:01       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-26 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 01:24:56PM -0400, Glenn Spell wrote:
>> I have a simple hello-world with a single 'char*
>> p=(char*)malloc(10);' line.  I compile it with 'gcc hello.c -o
>> hello.exe -lefence'.
>>
>> It crashes with a 'instruction references memory at "0x00000000"'
>> error.  A simple debug session with gdb shows that it crashes at
>> '0x61006cd2 in _size_of_stack_reserve__()', before main.
>
>I don't understand any of this. I'm not a programmer. I know that the
>memory location is related to cygwin. I know that all references I
>can find on the net to "_size_of_stack_reserve__()" relate to cygwin
>or mingw (and Mumit reads them all!) or some articles on memory
>management at Microsoft.

Actually this memory location indicates an error that is *not* in
cygwin.  It seems that gdb spits this out in some circumstances when
it doesn't know the symbolic name for an address.  gdb should always
know symbolic names for addresses in the DLL.

cgf

* Re: Electric Fence for Cygwin
@ 1999-06-26 15:31     ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-06-26 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 25 Jun 1999 at 10:16AM (+0200) Laurent CHARLES wrote:

> glenn@gs.fay.nc.us wrote:
> >
> > Please let me know if it compiles and operates properly.
>
> I tried it and got some problems.

I could not get it to work either. I removed it from the webpage.

> I have a simple hello-world with a single 'char* p=(char*)malloc(10);'
> line.
> I compile it with 'gcc hello.c -o hello.exe -lefence'.
>
> It crashes with a 'instruction references memory at "0x00000000"' error.
> A simple debug session with gdb shows that it crashes at '0x61006cd2 in
> _size_of_stack_reserve__()', before main.
>
> Did you experience the same problem?

Using GNU Hello I could not get the efence library to run.

(gdb) run
Starting program: /hello/hello-1.3/hello/build/./hello.exe
bff30000://C/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/GDI32.DLL
bff60000://C/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/USER32.DLL
bff70000://C/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/KERNEL32.DLL
bfec0000://C/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/ADVAPI32.DLL
61000000:/BIN/CYGWIN1.DLL

0x61006bbe in _findenv ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x61006bbe in _findenv ()
#1  0x61006c23 in getenv ()
#2  0x402236 in initialize () at ../efence.c:303
#3  0x402c2d in malloc (size=16) at ../efence.c:869
#4  0x61019eba in malloc ()
#5  0x6101a217 in malloc_init ()
#6  0x610183e6 in heap_init ()
#7  0x61004110 in dll_crt0_1 ()
#8  0x610043c0 in dll_crt0 ()
#9  0x403292 in cygwin_crt0 ()
(gdb)

Remove calls to getenv() and it loops and crashes elsewhere.

I tried all I know to do but still can't get it to work.
Again, I removed it from the webpage. Sorry for any inconvenience.

-glenn

--

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Chris Faylor

@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers; +Cc: vzell, cygwin

There is some kind of memory corruption in recent snapshots.  I'm
tracking down the cause now.  Unless you want to track down the problem
for me, you'd all probably be well-advised not to use any snapshot from
the last week or so.

Just in case anyone cares, the problem I see is that an attempt to close
all of the open handles in the spawn_guts() function uncovers the fact
that the heap is corrupted.  I'm trying to find out where the corruption
occurs now.

I don't suppose that Electric Fence has been ported to cygwin?

--
cgf@cygnus.com
http://www.cygnus.com/

* Re: Something is rotten in recent snapshots
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` Laurent CHARLES
From: Laurent CHARLES @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: glenn, cygwin; +Cc: cgf, CHARLES, Laurent

@ 1999-06-30 22:10       ` tjoen
From: tjoen @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor, cygwin-developers; +Cc: vzell, cygwin

> There is some kind of memory corruption in recent snapshots.  I'm
> tracking down the cause now.  Unless you want to track down the problem
> for me, you'd all probably be well-advised not to use any snapshot from
> the last week or so.
>
> Just in case anyone cares, the problem I see is that an attempt to close
> all of the open handles in the spawn_guts() function uncovers the fact
> that the heap is corrupted.  I'm trying to find out where the corruption
> occurs now.
>
> I don't suppose that Electric Fence has been ported to cygwin?

I tried porting it then put aside.  i tink my X is more important now.

Suhaib

> --
> cgf@cygnus.com
> http://www.cygnus.com/
>
> --

* Electric Fence for Cygwin
@ 1999-06-30 22:10       ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

(Subject changed from "Re: Something is rotten in recent snapshots".)

On 25 Jun 1999 at 10:16AM (+0200) Laurent CHARLES wrote:

> glenn@gs.fay.nc.us wrote:
>
> > On 16 Jun 1999 at 2:50PM (-0400) Chris Faylor wrote:
> >
> > > I don't suppose that Electric Fence has been ported to cygwin?
> >
> > < http://www.fay.nc.us/~glenn/cygwin/efence-cyg-2.2.2.tar.gz >
> >
> > Please let me know if it compiles and operates properly.
>
> I tried it and got some problems.
>
> First, it compiles perfectly. Well, I didn't notice any problem,
> and installed it with my /usr/local stuff (with the cygwin
> packages). I ran 'make all install prefix=/usr/local' from
> efence/cygwin directory.

Thanks.

@ 1999-06-30 22:10         ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)