* Minor issues running ssh/sshd under NT
       [not found] <937511820.24304.ezmlm@sourceware.cygnus.com>
@ 1999-09-16 13:21 ` Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 1999-09-16 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

These are all cygwin ports, so I guess this is the right list...

I've just installed ssh/sshd 1.2.26, plus rsync 2.2, under NT4/SP5 (all
downloaded from Sergey's Web site). I now have them all working fine except
for two minor things.

1) When I run ssh1 to connect to my machine (called mortgage), it connects
and logs on fine, but I get the following warning message displayed before
the command prompt:

/usr/X11R6.4/bin/xauth: (stdin):2:  bad display name "mortgage/unix:1.0" in
"add
" command
$

Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

2) I've set sshd1 up to run as an NT service using invoker. This works, and
runs, but every time I reboot my machine I get an error box telling me about
a service not starting, and the event log displays the message:

The SSH Daemon service terminated with the following error:
The system could not find the environment option that was entered.

(note - the SSH Daemon is actually running fine!)

Again, this is very minor, but if anyone knows how to stop this happening,
I'd be very grateful.

By the way, I also tried ssh 2.0.13, but when I try to run the programs I
get complaints about not finding the entry point "_ctype_" in cygwin1.dll.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard Stanton

* Re: Minor issues running ssh/sshd under NT
@ 1999-09-16 15:18   ` Steve Coleman
From: Steve Coleman @ 1999-09-16 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stanton; +Cc: cygwin

Richard Stanton wrote:

> 1) When I run ssh1 to connect to my machine (called mortgage), it connects
> and logs on fine, but I get the following warning message displayed before
> the command prompt:
>
> /usr/X11R6.4/bin/xauth: (stdin):2:  bad display name "mortgage/unix:1.0" in
> "add
> " command
> $
>
> Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

Gee, and I thought I was the only one with this problem. :->

I think the offending line(s) of code is in sshd.c

#ifndef CRAY
                        /* Cray xauth cannot take host/unix:0 as
displayname *
                        fprintf(f, "add %.*s/unix%s %s %s\n",
                                cp - display, display, cp, auth_proto,
                                auth_data); */
#endif

The #ifndef... could probably be changed to:

#if !defined(CRAY) && !defined(__CYGWIN32__)
#endif

I just commented it out and my problem went away. It also had the side
effect of fixing a client connection timeout problem I was having too,
but that's another story.

--
Steve Coleman     <Steve.Coleman@jhuapl.edu>   http://www.jhuapl.edu/
<<--------->> Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory <<---------->>

* Re: Minor issues running ssh/sshd under NT
@ 1999-09-30 23:42     ` Steve Coleman
From: Steve Coleman @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stanton; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-09-30 23:42   ` Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

* gcc - no messages re unresolved symbols
@ 2000-02-23 16:47     ` Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 2000-02-23 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm having an odd problem with gcc (cygwin version 2.95) on my NT machine.
If I compile/link a program that has some unresolved symbols, the linker
doesn't tell me about them, which makes tracking them down more than a
little hard...

For example, here's what happens when I compile a program that has a missing
main():

[c:\miscprog]gcc -o amput amput.c
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

For comparison, here's what happens when I do the same thing on a unix
(SunOS 5.6) machine:

socrates% gcc -o ttt amput.c -lm
main
/usr/local/egcs-1.1.2/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-su
solaris2.6/egcs-2.91.66/crt1.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to ttt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
socrates%

Any idea what's wrong? I'm pretty sure this used to work at one point.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Richard Stanton

* RE: gcc - no messages re unresolved symbols
@ 2000-02-24  7:05       ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 2000-02-24  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stanton, cygwin

Hi Richard,

this matter was discussed on the list some time ago. Apparently there's a
problem with collect2.exe that makes it swallow any error output from the
linker and don't send it back to stderr. I had this same problem, and the
gurus gave me a couple of suggestions:

[1] rename collect2.exe to something else (e.g. _ collect2.exe) - OR -
[2] edit the specs file of gcc and change the line that refers to collect2
so that it refers to ld directly

I went for option [2]. I'm not fully aware of the consequences of that
(performance loss, maybe?), but seemed more like TheRightThing (TM) to do.
Anyway, things are working ok for me now. My installation is a snapshot of
19991123, so there might be a chance that this has already been fixed on
recent snapshots. Can anybody confirm that?

(OBS.: collect2.exe and the specs file are on
/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95.2 on my
system)

HTH.

Regards,

Andre
--
André Oliveira da Costa
(costa@cade.com.br)

@ 2000-02-24  7:22         ` Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 2000-02-24  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Andre.

What seems very strange is that it all works fine on my W95 laptop, which as
far as I know has the identical cygwin/gcc setup.

Regards,

Richard Stanton
Associate Professor of Finance
Haas School of Business
U.C. Berkeley
545 Student Services Building #1900
Berkeley, CA 94720-1900

tel. (510) 642-7382
fax. (510) 643-1420
email: stanton@haas.berkeley.edu
Web: http://haas.berkeley.edu/~stanton

* cygwin tar program won't create directories on NT machine
@ 2000-03-16 11:56         ` Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 2000-03-16 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have the full cygwin package (20.1) installed on two machines, a Win95
laptop and a NT4 desktop. I've just noticed that the tar.exe program that
comes with the installation refuses to create directories on my NT machine,
but runs fine on my laptop. For example, trying the command

tar -xvf hyperref.tar

(which runs fine on my Win95 machine), I get the following errors on my NT
machine:

tar: hyperref: Could not create directory: Permission denied
hyperref/hyperref.dtx
tar: hyperref/hyperref.dtx: Could not create file: No such file or directory
hyperref/nameref.dtx
tar: hyperref/nameref.dtx: Could not create file: No such file or directory
hyperref/.zipped

etc.

Any ideas what's going on? If I manually create the appropriate directories,
tar will extract the files OK. It's just the directory creation that is a
problem. By the way, the command

md hyperref

typed at the command line works fine, so there's no real problem creating
directories.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard Stanton