* X11 for cygwin B20.1 ???
@ 1999-09-19 14:33 Kevin L. McWhirter
From: Kevin L. McWhirter @ 1999-09-19 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

Does there exist a HOWTO or FAQ for X11 for cygwin B20.1 ?

There seems to be a plethora of options but not one easily found
solution.  Some distributions require B19,  other apps require other
stuff, etc.....

'preciate the pointer.
Kevin

* Re: X11 for cygwin B20.1 ???
@ 1999-09-19 16:42 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-09-19 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin L. McWhirter; +Cc: cygwin list

Right now there is no HOWTO or FAQ for X11.
I will put Web pages for Cygwin-Xfree which will have a
HOWTO and FAQ for X11R6, XFree86 porting issues and
other stuff related to X under Cygwin.
For general info on X you may check http://www.rahul.net/kenton .

What are exactly your questions?  Obviously B19 stuff is for Cygwin
B19.  Which apps require which stuff, please elaborate?

At the moment all the X11 clients and libraries require an X11R6.x
compliant X-server.  Many Cygwin users
attempt to use MI/X because it was a freeware (now it costs
$25.00).  MI/X cannot do multi-windowing and is X11R5
based therefore most modern apps under MI/X will crash.  Beside, it is a
very simple server with only stdin/stdout capbility.  Most X
applications need more then
a stdin/stdout crap.  Therefore attempts to do some serious work with
MI/X would be a waste of time.

Suhaib

PS: to discourage UCE, the return address is invalid, post your reply
only to list please.

"Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:

> Does there exist a HOWTO or FAQ for X11 for cygwin B20.1 ?
>
> There seems to be a plethora of options but not one easily found
> solution.  Some distributions require B19,  other apps require other
> stuff, etc.....
>
> 'preciate the pointer.
> Kevin
>
> --

* Re: X11 for cygwin B20.1 ???
@ 1999-09-19 17:05   ` Kevin L. McWhirter
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Kevin L. McWhirter @ 1999-09-19 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

To be honest I do not recall all of the brick walls I encountered while
trying to get this going this weekend.

I messed with MI/X a year or so ago and realized then that it was useless.
I would like to get Xvnc working as a cheap X server.  That compile died a
violent death as the patch available is a version or so behind the oldest
available version of vnc.

I was hoping that there was a doc somewhere to get me started.  I really do
not want to spend weeks trying to re-port already ported software every step
of the way.

After all .... all I really want is a version of gvim that will work with
Perforce!  That's what started all of this.  After failing to find one that
was compiled for WIN32 native (read non-X) and failing to get it to compile
(after 3 hours of trying) quickly,  I decided I needed to get my environment
a little more in line with what seems to be the *norm* [I hate that word].
It seems that this means (among other things) gcc-2.95,  B20.1,  and X11R6.4
(or X11R6.3 not sure which is the better choice yet),  and binary moint
points (I have been using text for about a year now).

If you could put a web page outline the basic things to get and where they
are and a rough set of steps to follow I would be grateful!

Thanks for the reply.
Kevin

"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:

> Right now there is no HOWTO or FAQ for X11.
> I will put Web pages for Cygwin-Xfree which will have a
> HOWTO and FAQ for X11R6, XFree86 porting issues and
> other stuff related to X under Cygwin.
> For general info on X you may check http://www.rahul.net/kenton .
>
> What are exactly your questions?  Obviously B19 stuff is for Cygwin
> B19.  Which apps require which stuff, please elaborate?
>
> At the moment all the X11 clients and libraries require an X11R6.x
> compliant X-server.  Many Cygwin users
> attempt to use MI/X because it was a freeware (now it costs
> $25.00).  MI/X cannot do multi-windowing and is X11R5
> based therefore most modern apps under MI/X will crash.  Beside, it is a
> very simple server with only stdin/stdout capbility.  Most X
> applications need more then
> a stdin/stdout crap.  Therefore attempts to do some serious work with
> MI/X would be a waste of time.
>
> Suhaib
>
> PS: to discourage UCE, the return address is invalid, post your reply
> only to list please.
>
> "Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:
> >
> > Does there exist a HOWTO or FAQ for X11 for cygwin B20.1 ?
> >
> > There seems to be a plethora of options but not one easily found
> > solution.  Some distributions require B19,  other apps require other
> > stuff, etc.....
> >
> > 'preciate the pointer.
> > Kevin
> >
> > --
>
> "Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:
> >
> > Does there exist a HOWTO or FAQ for X11 for cygwin B20.1 ?
> >
> > There seems to be a plethora of options but not one easily found
> > solution.  Some distributions require B19,  other apps require other
> > stuff, etc.....
> >
> > 'preciate the pointer.
> > Kevin
> >
> > --

* Re: X11 for cygwin B20.1 ???
@ 1999-09-19 17:28     ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-09-19 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin L. McWhirter; +Cc: cygwin list

To get gvim compiled on Windows, you are going a long way.  All you need
to do, go to http://www.vim.org and download
the Windows native (win32/with OLE) GVIM.  I use it all the time and it
is SIMPLY perfect.  You can even cut and paste
(crtl+c, crtl+v) plus all the other Windows keyboard short-cuts.  It
even has the ability to recognize C/C++ syntex and highlight the code
with various colors.

The differences between X11R6.3 and X11R6.4 are usually minor for most
users.  X11R6.3 (aka Broadway) allows to open
X apps in a web browser.  X11R6.4 enghnaces various netwrok capabilities
and polished the Broadway technology.  However one need to port
X-swallow to Cygwin (or Win32) to open
X applications on Win32 Web-browser.

X11R6.4 is backward compatible, that means applications linked to
X11R6.3 librqaries should work with X11R6.4.

Vnc is not an X-server.  It can be an alternative to X-server but only
with limited capabilities. VNC has its own server and a viewer.  You can
run an application on a system where VNC is installed and view it
remotely using VNC viewer.  I do not think VNC can be a replacement for
an X-server.

Suhaib

"Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:

> [...]
> > a stdin/stdout crap.  Therefore attempts to do some serious work with
> > MI/X would be a waste of time.
> >
> > Suhaib
> >
> > PS: to discourage UCE, the return address is invalid, post your reply
> > only to list please.
> >
> > "Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:
> > >
> > > Does there exist a HOWTO or FAQ for X11 for cygwin B20.1 ?
> > >
> > > There seems to be a plethora of options but not one easily found
> > > solution.  Some distributions require B19,  other apps require other
> > > stuff, etc.....
> > >
> > > 'preciate the pointer.
> > > Kevin
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > "Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:
> > >
> > > Does there exist a HOWTO or FAQ for X11 for cygwin B20.1 ?
> > >
> > > There seems to be a plethora of options but not one easily found
> > > solution.  Some distributions require B19,  other apps require other

* Re: X11 for cygwin B20.1 ???
@ 1999-09-19 17:38     ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-09-19 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin L. McWhirter; +Cc: cygwin list

For Gvim Win32 native:

ftp://ftp.home.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/

get the file gvim55ole.zip.

Suhaib

"Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:

> [...]
> > a stdin/stdout crap.  Therefore attempts to do some serious work with
> > MI/X would be a waste of time.
> >
> > Suhaib
> >
> > PS: to discourage UCE, the return address is invalid, post your reply
> > only to list please.
> >
> > "Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:
> > >
> > > Does there exist a HOWTO or FAQ for X11 for cygwin B20.1 ?
> > >
> > > There seems to be a plethora of options but not one easily found
> > > solution.  Some distributions require B19,  other apps require other
> > > stuff, etc.....
> > >
> > > 'preciate the pointer.
> > > Kevin
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > "Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:
> > >
> > > Does there exist a HOWTO or FAQ for X11 for cygwin B20.1 ?
> > >
> > > There seems to be a plethora of options but not one easily found
> > > solution.  Some distributions require B19,  other apps require other

* Re: X11 for cygwin B20.1 ???
@ 1999-09-19 18:07       ` Kevin L. McWhirter
From: Kevin L. McWhirter @ 1999-09-19 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

Hi! Thank for the reply.

However...

 I have also been using gvim win32 for a couple of revisions (recently upgraded to
5.4).  What I want is a gvim compiled with the cygwin B20.1 libs so that it will
work with Perforce's p4 command (also compiled with cygwin B20.1).

When I issue a 'p4 resolve' (to resolve merge conflicts) I am presented with an
oppurtunity to edit the merged source.  p4 will then operate on that edit
(checking the editted version into the repository for instance).  The native gvim
does not understand the file path that p4 passes it.

I did find some one who had ported an earlier version of gvim using the UNIX/X11
sources.  That is why I started pursuing installing X11.  I was contemplating
reworking the port for vim 5.4

I do not agree with you about VNC however.  They provide there own X server
(Xvnc).  This X server is meant to be used with vncserver and vncclient but is an
honest to God X server (unlike MI/X). I have used it quite successfully under
Linux! It seems to be based on X11 sources (make World to build).

Thanks for your input on the X11R6.3/X11R6.4 differences.  I guess either one will
suit my needs.

Thanks again for the reply!
Kevin

* Re: X11 for cygwin B20.1 ???
@ 1999-09-19 18:20         ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-09-19 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin L. McWhirter; +Cc: cygwin list

Have you tried getting X11R6.4 from my URL?
http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Forum/6298
and LessTif binaries for Cygwin? I provide
LessTif precompiled binaries via LessTif.org ( http://www.lesstif.org ).
Install all the X11 and lessTif in /usr/X11R6

get the gvim UNIX code from
ftp://ftp.home.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/
You will need

gvim-5.5-rt.tar.gz and vim-5.5-src.tar.gz (I think so).

Then use

./configure --with-x --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib --disable-gtk
--with-motif-lib=/usr/X11R6/lib

If you have Perl for Cygwin installed then you can
add --enable-perlinterp

I have not compiled gvim under Cygwin, yet.  The gvim code is
very much system independent, therefore I assume it should
compile with very little efforts.

"Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:

> [...]
> > > not want to spend weeks trying to re-port already ported software every step
> > > of the way.
> > >
> > > After all .... all I really want is a version of gvim that will work with
> > > Perforce!  That's what started all of this.  After failing to find one that
> > > was compiled for WIN32 native (read non-X) and failing to get it to compile
> > > (after 3 hours of trying) quickly,  I decided I needed to get my environment
> > > a little more in line with what seems to be the *norm* [I hate that word].
> > > It seems that this means (among other things) gcc-2.95,  B20.1,  and X11R6.4
> > > (or X11R6.3 not sure which is the better choice yet),  and binary moint
> > > points (I have been using text for about a year now).
> > >
> > > If you could put a web page outline the basic things to get and where they
> > > are and a rough set of steps to follow I would be grateful!

* Re: X11 for cygwin B20.1 ???
@ 1999-09-30 23:42       ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin L. McWhirter; +Cc: cygwin list

"Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:

> [...]
> > a stdin/stdout crap.  Therefore attempts to do some serious work with
> > MI/X would be a waste of time.
> >
> > Suhaib
> >
> > PS: to discourage UCE, the return address is invalid, post your reply
> > only to list please.
> >
> > "Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:
> > >
> > > Does there exist a HOWTO or FAQ for X11 for cygwin B20.1 ?
> > >
> > > There seems to be a plethora of options but not one easily found
> > > solution.  Some distributions require B19,  other apps require other
> > > stuff, etc.....
> > >
> > > 'preciate the pointer.
> > > Kevin
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > "Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:
> > >
> > > Does there exist a HOWTO or FAQ for X11 for cygwin B20.1 ?
> > >
> > > There seems to be a plethora of options but not one easily found
> > > solution.  Some distributions require B19,  other apps require other

* Re: X11 for cygwin B20.1 ???
@ 1999-09-30 23:42         ` Kevin L. McWhirter
From: Kevin L. McWhirter @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin L. McWhirter; +Cc: cygwin list

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin L. McWhirter; +Cc: cygwin list

From: Kevin L. McWhirter @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin L. McWhirter; +Cc: cygwin list

"Kevin L. McWhirter" wrote:

> Does there exist a HOWTO or FAQ for X11 for cygwin B20.1 ?
>
> There seems to be a plethora of options but not one easily found
> solution.  Some distributions require B19,  other apps require other
> stuff, etc.....
>
> 'preciate the pointer.
> Kevin
>
> --

* Re: X11 for cygwin B20.1 ???
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin L. McWhirter, cygwin list

--- "Kevin L. McWhirter" <klmcw@earthlink.net> wrote:
-8<-
> After all .... all I really want is a version of gvim that will work with
> Perforce!  That's what started all of this.  After failing to find one that
> was compiled for WIN32 native (read non-X) and failing to get it to compile
-8<-

Excuse me; but isn't a "Win32 native" gvim available from http://www.vim.org ?
I think I remember using it.  Didn't I use it?  Or was I dreaming?  I could be wrong...
===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

From: Kevin L. McWhirter @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

Wow! I created a lot of confusion with my use of Win32 native.  What I was refering to was
actually a cygwin/Win32 executable that does not use X.  Sorry for the confusion...

Kevin

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin L. McWhirter, cygwin list

Could be because on this list "Win32 native" means without cygwin; i.e. uses
the crtdll or msvcrt runtimes.  This should be made an entry in the
FAQ/Documentation if it isn't already.

Earnie.

@ 1999-09-20  9:42 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-20  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)