* RE: How do I UNMOUNT '/' mount point?
@ 1999-11-16 14:45 Prakash Dhavali
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Prakash Dhavali @ 1999-11-16 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'earnie_boyd@yahoo.com',
	Prakash Dhavali, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'
  Cc: 'cgf@cygnus.com'

Earnie Boyd,

I do not want any kind of mounts on my NT workstation. I do not want
C:/ mapped to '/', no matter which drive you are on. I want / to point
to the current drive letter by default. I know that it's hard to imagine
such a requirement in a typical UNIX environment, but STILL we are on
on NT and NOT a UNIX box, so I was expecting NT behaviour not to be
_entitrely_ overridden by other UNIX emulation softwares.

Thanks
-Prakash

From: Dan Oelke @ 1999-11-16 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali; +Cc: cygwin

But - when I am at a bash prompt - I want it to be as Unix like as possible.
Mapping / to the current drive is just ugly IMHO, not to mention the
vast majority of Unix utilities that would be broken by such a scheme.

Of course - the source is out there - go ahead and modify it if you want.

Dan

@ 1999-11-17  4:39   ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 1999-11-17  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

100% agreed. Cygwin gave me the chance to still use UNIX tools (and a decent
command interpreter -- bash -- instead of the restrictive cmd.exe) now that
I'm forced to work with M$-Winblows after 5 years of development with UNIX,
and, aside from problems with RCS, I'm quite happy with it and wouldn't like
it to change a single bit.

Costa
--
André Oliveira da Costa
(costa@cade.com.br)

* Re: How do I UNMOUNT '/' mount point?
@ 1999-11-17  8:46 ` Steve Coleman
From: Steve Coleman @ 1999-11-17  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Prakash Dhavali wrote:

> I want / to point to the current drive letter by default.

If this is really the behavior you are looking for then it is my
suggestion that you look at some other tool kits that are out there.
There are many versions of bash, ls, etc. that merely sit on top of
DOS/Win32 and perform no "real" Unix runtime emulation.

Cygwin on the other hand is specifically designed to emulate Unix as
closely as possible, so closely in fact that most Unix source code will
actually compile and run without changes. This in and of itself is an
amazing feat that should be duly recognized as "magic" (hats off
folks!). I often port software between a variety of Unix systems that
have at least as much difficulty in portability if not more than Cygwin,
which successfully hides most if not all the non POSIX quirks of the
Microsoft operating system world. I personally look forward to the day
when Cygwin has full posix threading support too.

--
Steve Coleman     <Steve.Coleman@jhuapl.edu>   http://www.jhuapl.edu/
 High Performance, fault tolerant, distributed, real-time computing

* RE: How do I UNMOUNT '/' mount point?
@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` Prakash Dhavali

@ 1999-11-30 23:39   ` Steve Coleman
From: Steve Coleman @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-11-30 23:39     ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

@ 1999-11-30 23:39   ` Dan Oelke
From: Dan Oelke @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'
  Cc: 'cgf@cygnus.com'

@ 1999-11-30 23:39   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

--- Prakash Dhavali <PrakashD@ambernetworks.com> wrote:
> Hi Cygwin users,
>
> I DO NOT want cygwin to mount anything on my NT workstation as /. Currently
> when I run mount, it shows me following mount which I just AM NOT ABLE
> TO REMOVE IT ( I want to use '/' to refer to the current driver letter
> inside
> some of my applications)
>
> C:\CYGWIN\etc>mount
> Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> C:                    /                       user          textmode
>
> C:\CYGWIN\etc>
>
> I tried using all the following options to REMOVE the above mount from C:,
> even
> then I could NOT unmount /
>
> umount --remove-all-mounts
> umount --remove-auto-mounts
> umount --remove-user-mounts
> umount --remove-system-mounts
> umount -s /
>
> PLEASE HELP. I really need to FIX this problem as soon as possible. I do not
> have local administrator privileges on my  NT machine.

cd </path/to/bin/dir> && ./umount / && ./mount '<drive-letter-you-want>:\' /

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
Cygwin Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

* How do I UNMOUNT '/' mount point?
@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` Prakash Dhavali
From: Prakash Dhavali @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

[...]

I am using CygWin1.0 on NT workstation service pack 4

Thanking you in advance

* Re: How do I UNMOUNT '/' mount point?
@ 1999-11-30 23:39   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 02:02:57PM -0800, Prakash Dhavali wrote:
>I think users SHOULD be able to install the cygwin as a TOOLKIT and NOT
>as a UNIX OS wrapper around win32. I think that some of the users like me
>may want CygWin Toolkit with standalone unix utilities and applications.
>I know CygWin is sold as a UNIX/LINUX environment to customers, but I
>would have appreciated if there was a CygWin Toolkit(maybe similar to
>MKS toolkit) as well.
>
>Hard mounting C:/ to / is a deviation from default NT behaviour. I think
>ALL the cygwin tools and utilities must have recognised some environment
>variables(e.g CYGWIN_ROOT_DIR) to mean $CYGWIN_ROOT_DIR as the root and
>not C:/. In my case this deviation breaks my application(s). You may ask
>why I bought CygWin in the first place., I just wanted the Unix Utilities
>in my NT environment.
>
>What do other users on this list feel about the above topic?

This marketing information is duly noted.  Please note that this has
also been raised relatively recently in this newsgroup by another
similarly indignant user.

FYI, the whole purpose of the Cygwin project is to provide an emulation
environment for Windows which is as close as possible to UNIX.  UNIX
does not support the concept of "drives" in any way that is similar
to MS-DOS, so we made no effort to support MS-DOS notation or concepts.

That said, however, you do have the source code and if you should manage
to make Cygwin work in the manner that you describe without breaking
anything else, we will gratefully inspect your patch.

Otherwise, it is unlikely that we will be modifying each tool that
we provide to support MS-DOS concepts of drives and directories.

-Christopher Faylor
-Cygwin Engineering Manager
-Cygnus Solutions

From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali, cygwin

I also had to umount / to remount it in binary mode once, to fix an odd
behavior with RCS. All I had to do was

umount /
[path-to-mount.exe]/mount -b c: /

(note that, after umounting /, you have to use the path to mount.exe so that
it can be found)

cygwin complained about '/' not existing when I tried the remount, but it
_did_ mount the drive as supposed. So, you should be able to umount / but,
as for mounting it with another name, you'll probably have to fix the PATH
environment variable so that the binaries can be found. Anyways, you'll
probably need /bin, /tmp, /usr and /etc directories (I'm not sure, though --
any words from the gurus? ;) ).

HTH,

Regards,

--
André Oliveira da Costa
(costa@cade.com.br)

@ 1999-11-16 14:18 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-11-16 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'
  Cc: 'cgf@cygnus.com'

@ 1999-11-16 14:17 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-11-16 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-11-16 14:00 Prakash Dhavali

@ 1999-11-16  6:51 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-11-16  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-11-16  6:14 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-11-16  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-11-16  4:45 ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 1999-11-16  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Dhavali, cygwin

I also had to umount / to remount it in binary mode once, to fix an odd
behavior with RCS. All I had to do was

umount /
[path-to-mount.exe]/mount -b c: /

(note that, after umounting /, you have to use the path to mount.exe so that
it can be found)

cygwin complained about '/' not existing when I tried the remount, but it
_did_ mount the drive as supposed. So, you should be able to umount / but,
as for mounting it with another name, you'll probably have to fix the PATH
environment variable so that the binaries can be found. Anyways, you'll
probably need /bin, /tmp, /usr and /etc directories (I'm not sure, though --
any words from the gurus? ;) ).

HTH,

Regards,

--