* FW: Can not config sshd
@ 2000-05-25 13:00 Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2000-05-25 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

-----Original Message-----
From: Prentis Brooks [ mailto:prentis@aol.net ]
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 3:11 PM
To: tomcw@localnet.com
Subject: RE: Can not config sshd

check your permissions on ssh_host_key  That is a pretty common mistake...
also, when you ssh, do an ssh -v, it will give you more information...

Now, in my case, I am not able to get the OpenSSH to accept rhost
authentication or RSA...

Here is what I have.  sshd is running out of inetd, and is working fine as
far as that goes, works great for password authentication.

I have put .shosts in the users directory and I have added the client's
ssh_host_key to the /etc/ssh_known_hosts file, with appropriate FQDN
preceeding the actually key.  I have gone over the permissions and can't
find any holes.  Setup duplicates existing Unix ssh configuration and
"should" work.  I am using Corinna's binaries, do I need to re-compile?

From: Prentis Brooks @ 2000-05-25 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just for more information, the log entry in the App Log is -> Failed rsa for
<usr> from <IP> port <port>

[...]

* Re: FW: Can not config sshd
@ 2000-05-25 15:00 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-05-25 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prentis Brooks; +Cc: cygwin

Prentis Brooks wrote:
> Now, in my case, I am not able to get the OpenSSH to accept rhost
> authentication or RSA...
>
> Here is what I have.  sshd is running out of inetd, and is working fine as
> far as that goes, works great for password authentication.
>
> I have put .shosts in the users directory and I have added the client's
> ssh_host_key to the /etc/ssh_known_hosts file, with appropriate FQDN
> preceeding the actually key.  I have gone over the permissions and can't
> find any holes.  Setup duplicates existing Unix ssh configuration and
> "should" work.  I am using Corinna's binaries, do I need to re-compile?

I mentioned that in the README which comes with the
binary package:

This is for NT:
You can use RSA and/or rhosts authentification ONLY if
sshd is already running under that users account. This is
due to the NT authentification method. If you want to use
sshd from LocalSystem account (or another account which has
the appropriate rights) and you want to be able to logon
to different accounts, you ONLY can use password authentification.
You can't mix that methods. Recompiling will not help
here.

Personally I'm the only user on my system, so I'm starting
sshd as stand-alone service under my own user account. This
enables me to use RSA authentication.

BTW: Starting sshd from inetd is not common pratice. This
is because sshd needs to generate the server key before it
can respond to the first users authentication request.
This may take much time! If you start sshd as daemon,
it has the chance to generate the server key prior to
the first user intervention.

Perhaps another problem is that I have patched openSSH so
that identity files are always opened in binary open mode.
If you use an identity file of another ssh which was
created on a text mode mounted directory, it's probably
unusable if not converted.
I have choosen binary for identity files to allow usage
of copied identity.pub files on foreign boxes without
need to convert.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Developer

* RE: FW: Can not config sshd
@ 2000-05-25 20:04   ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2000-05-25 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am running it as the user I want to RSA as.  I also have all my system
mounts set to binary.  Could the files still be in text mode?  What I am
trying to do is a bit odd, I am sure as I need both worlds.  I have created
two entries in my services file for sshd... or rather sshd and sshbak (sshd
at 22 sshbak at 26) Then created two entries in inetd each with a different
config file.  One config allows RSA and the other allows password only.  As
I understood, this should be all I need to do, beyond the basics for rhosts
and RSA.  If this is starting to sound real complicated and you have time to
go into detail with me, I will send you details of my config directly.

Thanks for your help

@ 2000-05-26  1:21     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-05-26  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prentis Brooks; +Cc: cygwin

Prentis Brooks wrote:

> I am running it as the user I want to RSA as.  I also have all my system
> mounts set to binary.  Could the files still be in text mode?  What I am

They can if you have created them as text mode files. Copying
to a binary mount doesn't change the line endings. If so,
simply convert with vim/tr/recode/whateveryouwant.

> trying to do is a bit odd, I am sure as I need both worlds.  I have created
> two entries in my services file for sshd... or rather sshd and sshbak (sshd
> at 22 sshbak at 26) Then created two entries in inetd each with a different

Careful! Which user account is starting your inetd? Please, read
again what I have written in my previous mail. If you want to use
RSA you MUST start sshd under YOUR user account. Is inetd running
under your user account? If so, you must have appropriate privileges
to let the other sshd do it's password authentication.

Besides that (and the usage of inetd), it doesn't sound odd.

> config file.  One config allows RSA and the other allows password only.  As
> I understood, this should be all I need to do, beyond the basics for rhosts
> and RSA.  If this is starting to sound real complicated and you have time to
> go into detail with me, I will send you details of my config directly.

I would prefer that you first check each method for itself.
As you mentioned, you are able to run sshd for password
authentication. Ok. Deacvtivate 'em, then start sshd with your
RSA related config file from the command line in debug mode:

	sshd -d

The try to authenticate from another shell on the same machine:

	ssh -v 127.0.0.1

Now you can see what happens. This is much better then trying
to debug a service session!

Corinna

--

@ 2000-05-26  5:27       ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2000-05-26  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I think I found the problem, if not the solution.  They are not textmode,
unless vim automatically creates textmode files, I will check that also.
What I have found is that since this user has his home dir as / when openssh
tries to create the /.ssh directory it does so with the following notation:
//.ssh  which fails.  to give another for instance if I do an ls -la // the
resulting output returns "No such file or directory" for everything except
the mount points I created for other harddrives.  It further looks like
openssh may be looking for //.shosts to resolve rhost authentication, does
this sound right?  Is the behavior relating to // correct on my box or does
this happen to clue someone into what I have done wrong *grin*.  And yes,
the user I am using to run inetd and sshd is the user I am trying to login
as, and also has all appropriate rights to login as someone else for the
password authentication.  I have shutdown inetd and am running sshd -d on
all further tests until I resolve this issue.  ideas, clues, comments?

@ 2000-05-26  5:39         ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2000-05-26  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

To answer the textmode question:

cat -A of .shosts and /etc/ssh_known_hosts show each line ending with $

Does that denote a binmode or textmode file  (ie is binmode $ or ^M?)

@ 2000-05-26  5:56         ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2000-05-26  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prentis Brooks; +Cc: cygwin

Prentis,

Prentis Brooks wrote:
> What I have found is that since this user has his home dir as / when openssh
> tries to create the /.ssh directory it does so with the following notation:
> //.ssh  which fails.

I'm not sure whether or not this is relevant but I found a HOME
directory anomaly in 1.1.1 that did not exist in 1.1.0 and earlier.
This may be related to your problem or may be not...

Given that I mount H: as /home/jt, if I set HOME=H:\ via the control
panel, then within Cygwin (eg, bash) my HOME becomes /home/jt/ (note
the extra slash at the end).  If I now set HOME=H: (note no backslash),
then within Cygwin my HOME becomes /home/jt.

In your case since HOME is /, may be due to the above problem you are
getting an extra slash too.  Hence, your HOME within Cygwin is becoming
//.  The // notation is interpreted by Cygwin as a network share (or a
drive letter).  So for example, when openssh tries to access //.ssh,
it can't find a share called ".ssh" and fails.

Hope the above helps and sorry if it is just a distraction to the real
problem.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

* RE: FW: Can not config sshd
@ 2000-05-26  6:07           ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2000-05-26  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Tishler; +Cc: cygwin

I have not defined this user's home dir in the environment, only in
/etc/passwd.... if there is no home dir defined in ENV, does it default to
//?

@ 2000-05-26  6:17             ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2000-05-26  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Found it... ok all, tell me what you all think about this and how to handle
it:

This user needs to have his home directory pointing at /, however, as Jason
pointed out, if I set the user's home dir to /, when apps look at it, they
add a second /, creating // which is interpreted as a network share.  This
breaks everything.  What I did was set the user's home to /c/cygwin (which
is where / is mounted), and the problems went away, I have RSA and shost
authentication working.  Now, I guess my next question would be, is this
prefered behavior or is it being corrected, since this looks like a cygwin
1.1.1 issue?

Thanks for all the help!!!

@ 2000-05-26  6:50               ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2000-05-26  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prentis Brooks; +Cc: cygwin

DJ Delorie wrote:
> > H:\>bash
> > bash-2.03$ pwd
> > /home/jt/
> >         ^
> >         +--- extra slash
>
> Probably a similar bug, but this one looks harmless (ha!).

I guess that the "ha!" was accurate...

Jason

--

@ 2000-05-26  7:29 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-05-26  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prentis Brooks, Jason Tishler; +Cc: cygwin

--- Prentis Brooks <prentis@aol.net> wrote:
> I have not defined this user's home dir in the environment, only in
> /etc/passwd.... if there is no home dir defined in ENV, does it default to
> //?

No, bash defaults HOME to / and then that get's prepended to the path name
after it resolves the tilde character ~ sor ~/myfile bcomes //myfile.  Now the
problem with //myfile is that // is translated to \\ and \\myfile as a server
doesn't exist.  The time it takes to eventually time out is directly related to
the number of domains your associated with * the timeout period * the number of
retries.  This is the reason we now have /cygdrive instead of using // to
denote an unmounted device/directory.

Cheers,

=====
---