* shift: can't shift that many
@ 2000-06-11 18:09 John A. Turner
From: John A. Turner @ 2000-06-11 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've successfully built a cygwin version of XEmacs 21.2.34

however, during make install, I get lots of msgs from bash related
to the shift built-in - as in the subject:

shift: can't shift that many

e.g.:

shift: can't shift that many
/usr/bin/install -c lib-src/make-path.exe /usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.2-b34/i686-pc-cygwin/make-path.exe
shift: can't shift that many
/usr/bin/install -c lib-src/wakeup.exe /usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.2-b34/i686-pc-cygwin/wakeup.exe
shift: can't shift that many
/usr/bin/install -c lib-src/profile.exe /usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.2-b34/i686-pc-cygwin/profile.exe
shift: can't shift that many
/usr/bin/install -c lib-src/make-docfile.exe /usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.2-b34/i686-pc-cygwin/make-docfile.exe
shift: can't shift that many
/usr/bin/install -c lib-src/digest-doc.exe /usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.2-b34/i686-pc-cygwin/digest-doc.exe
shift: can't shift that many

and the installation is incomplete

I tried things like echoing $# in the makefile, but didn't make
much headway in figuring out where the problem might lie.

Has anyone else run into this sort of thing?  Is it bash, cygwin,
or the XEmacs build process?  I suspect cygwin just because I've
never run into this on other platforms, but it's difficult to tell.

thanks..

-John Turner

* Re: shift: can't shift that many
@ 2000-06-13  4:58 ` John A. Turner
From: John A. Turner @ 2000-06-13  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John A. Turner" wrote:

> I've successfully built a cygwin version of XEmacs 21.2.34
>
> however, during make install, I get lots of msgs from bash related
> to the shift built-in - as in the subject:
>
> shift: can't shift that many

never mind - I can't believe this, but I've been bitten by the
"sh is really ash" feature in cygwin

I've been using cygwin long enough to know better, but somehow
after an update I forgot to fix that

* RE: shift: can't shift that many
@ 2000-06-13 11:30   ` Dan Holmsand
From: Dan Holmsand @ 2000-06-13 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually, I think cygwin's sh is quite right - xemacs' installexe.sh tries
to shift three args where there's only two. Changing "shift 2" to just
"shift" in line 12 gets rid of the error message.

/dan

@ 2000-06-13 12:13     ` Bob McGowan
From: Bob McGowan @ 2000-06-13 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Holmsand wrote:

> Actually, I think cygwin's sh is quite right - xemacs' installexe.sh tries
> to shift three args where there's only two. Changing "shift 2" to just
> "shift" in line 12 gets rid of the error message.
>
> /dan

The following script:

  echo $#
  shift 3
  echo $#
  echo shifting two more:
  shift 2
  echo $#

Produces the following output for sh (ash) and bash:

  $ sh shiftest a b c d
  4
  1
  shifting two more:
  shift: can't shift that many
  1

  $ bash shiftest a b c d
  4
  1
  shifting two more:
  1

The only difference is the error message generated by ash.  The final
result is the same, the last shift did not change the argument count.

I don't think this is a bug in either of shells, unless you want to
count not printing an error as the bug.  It is a bug in the original
script, however.

--
Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer

* Re: shift: can't shift that many
@ 2000-06-13  9:17 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-13  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 05:17:08AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- "John A. Turner" <john.turner@pobox.com> wrote:
>>"John A. Turner" wrote:
>>>I've successfully built a cygwin version of XEmacs 21.2.34
>>>
>>>however, during make install, I get lots of msgs from bash related to
>>>the shift built-in - as in the subject:
>>>
>>>shift: can't shift that many
>>
>>never mind - I can't believe this, but I've been bitten by the "sh is
>>really ash" feature in cygwin
>>
>>I've been using cygwin long enough to know better, but somehow after an
>>update I forgot to fix that
>
>Rather than using a workaround, why not submit a patch to ash for this
>feature?

We'll accept a patch if this actually fixes behavior within the goal
of ash but not if this adds something to make it compatible with bash.

cgf

* Re: shift: can't shift that many
@ 2000-06-13  5:17 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-13  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- "John A. Turner" <john.turner@pobox.com> wrote:
> "John A. Turner" wrote:
> >
> > I've successfully built a cygwin version of XEmacs 21.2.34
> >
> > however, during make install, I get lots of msgs from bash related
> > to the shift built-in - as in the subject:
> >
> > shift: can't shift that many
>
> never mind - I can't believe this, but I've been bitten by the
> "sh is really ash" feature in cygwin
>
> I've been using cygwin long enough to know better, but somehow
> after an update I forgot to fix that

Rather than using a workaround, why not submit a patch to ash for this feature?

Regards,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >