* all commands start up sloooooow......
@ 2000-06-15 15:50 Frank Merenda
From: Frank Merenda @ 2000-06-15 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hello all!
I was using an older version of CYGWIN, "uname -a" gave me:

CYGWIN_NT-4.0 WS-VEX-010 20.1 (0.3/1/1) 1998-12-3 20:39:18 i686 unknown

I just installed the new version. "uname -a" gives me:

CYGWIN_NT-4.0 WS-VEX-010 1.1.2(0.21/3/2) 2000-06-06 22:20 i686 unknown

there's loads more here, and I can't wait to use it all. but EVERY tool that
I start up starts extremely slowly. There's delays in every command. I also
notived that when I do a "ls" on a directory with a lot of files there's  a
large delay, but the second time I do a "ls" the files list quickly.

can anyone help me with this? I would love to be able to move on to the new
version. Thanks in advance!

Thanks,
Frank Merenda | Senior Software Engineer
VetExchange   | http://www.VetExchange.com
fmerenda@VetExchange.com

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

-- Roger Caras

* Re: all commands start up sloooooow......
@ 2000-06-15 16:52 ` Carl Thompson
From: Carl Thompson @ 2000-06-15 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Merenda; +Cc: Cygwin List

Frank Merenda wrote:

> there's loads more here, and I can't wait to use it all. but EVERY
> tool that I start up starts extremely slowly. There's delays in every
> command. I also notived that when I do a "ls" on a directory with a
> lot of files there's  a large delay, but the second time I do a "ls"
> the files list quickly.
>
> can anyone help me with this? I would love to be able to move on to
> the new version. Thanks in advance!

I've noticed the same thing myself, but I believe it happens for any program
you run, not just those that come with Cygwin.  It's just more noticeable
when programs are run from the bash prompt.  Once a program is started,
subsequent startups are reasonably fast.

The interesting thing I've noticed is that it happens on only one of my two
Windows 2000 machines.  The are both identical recent installs of the OS and
Cygwin.  The only difference I can think of is that on the "slow" one I have
installed VC++ 6.0 but on the "normal" I have not.  Are you running VC++ or
any other Microsoft development software?

> Thanks,
> Frank Merenda | Senior Software Engineer

Carl Thompson

* Re: all commands start up sloooooow......
@ 2000-06-16  0:24 ` Bill Karh
From: Bill Karh @ 2000-06-16  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Frank Merenda

Hey Frank,

I think I have the same post cygwin1.1.2 upgrade problem.

I've noticed that the traffic LEDs on the hub I use flicker when
cygwin starts to slow down.  Is it possible that cygwin is trying to
perform some kind of windows networking?  Heavens, could windows be
looking for a domain controller?  I think the next command is quick
because windows may cache the result of the domain controller lookup
for a little while.

I've tried to look for mounts or environment variables containing
'\\'.  The only one found was an env var named LOGONSERVER, and I
don't think UNIX would use that...

CYGWIN_NT-4.0 KARH 1.1.2(0.21/3/2) 2000-06-06 22:20 i686 unknown

Regards,
Bill

fm> -----Original Message-----
fm> To: cygwin at sourceware dot cygnus dot com
fm> Subject: all commands start up sloooooow......
fm> From: Frank Merenda <FMerenda at vetexchange dot com>
fm> Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 18:50:38 -0400
fm>
[snip]
fm> there's loads more here, and I can't wait to use it all. but EVERY
fm> tool that I start up starts extremely slowly. There's delays in
fm> every command. I also notived that when I do a "ls" on a directory
fm> with a lot of files there's a large delay, but the second time I
fm> do a "ls" the files list quickly.
[snip]
fm> Thanks, Frank Merenda | Senior Software Engineer VetExchange |
fm> http://www.VetExchange.com fmerenda@VetExchange.com

* RE: all commands start up sloooooow......
@ 2000-06-19 11:45 Frank Merenda
From: Frank Merenda @ 2000-06-19 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I don't have my HOME set to that, so I don't know if it's still a problem or
not.....
my HOME is set to D:\, which is mounted as "/", so I don't know if that's
the same thing or not.
If it is, then it's no longer a problem, since I am not experiencing delays
anymore. :)

@ 2000-06-19  8:02 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-19  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-06-19  7:52 Frank Merenda
From: Frank Merenda @ 2000-06-19  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norling, Gunnar, cygwin

one thing I was told from Larry Hall was to make sure that your HOME
environment variable was set, and it wasn't set to "/".
Also check to make sure that you don't have any mounts starting with "\\" or
environment variables that start with "\\".

You may also have a networked path in your environment path, which is being
checked by bash before your "/usr/bin" directory. This would cause your
shell to check your network paths before it checks your local paths, which
would cause the delay you stated. try a "echo $PATH" and see what you
get....

hope that helps a bit.

@ 2000-06-19  6:20 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-06-19  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norling, Gunnar; +Cc: cygwin

"Norling, Gunnar" wrote:

> Hey,
> I experience this behaviour as well. Every time I execute, e.g. a simple
> 'ls' it seams as if some networking is done. This also happens if I try to
> start notepad from inside Bash. (My dial-up monitor flashes).
>
> And for me, this is very noticable, because I'm using a dial-up connection.
> My NT-logon goes via this dial-up connection, i.e. I'm not logged in
> locally.
>
> What is happening? Some kind of authentication?

Yup. The problem is related to some calls to get account information,
needed for ntsec. Some code parts are called with ntsec OFF by
mistake, which are relying on the availability of the logon server.
So usually you can't see those delays if you use a local account.

I'm just patching that to call the related stuff only if ntsec is
ON as well as trying to get the account information from the local
machine first and to molest the logon server only when the info
isn't available locally.

I hope you will see the changes in the next net release. I will
check that into the cvs perhaps this week.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Developer

* RE: all commands start up sloooooow......
@ 2000-06-19  3:46 Norling, Gunnar
From: Norling, Gunnar @ 2000-06-19  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bill Karh', cygwin; +Cc: Frank Merenda

@ 2000-06-16  8:44 Frank Merenda
From: Frank Merenda @ 2000-06-16  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, Carl Thompson, Frank Merenda; +Cc: Cygwin List

that also helped more, thanks!
setting my CYGWIN variable also helped a lot.

thanks everyone for your help!

@ 2000-06-16  6:48 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-16  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Thompson, Frank Merenda; +Cc: Cygwin List

@ 2000-06-16  4:45 Frank Merenda
From: Frank Merenda @ 2000-06-16  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Thompson; +Cc: Cygwin List

Carl,
I am not running any MS development software on this box, just some Java
development tools (JBuilder Foundation a little, TextPad most of the time).
The delay is several seconds, up to 20 seconds or so, not the normal second
or so delay that I expect every once in a while :).
I don't have my CYGWIN environmental variable set, and someone else pointed
out to me that it may be the problem. I have hit the user's manual, but am
still at a loss as how to set the variable. Is it a "regular" windows
variable, that I set in my environment, or should I set it in my cygwin.bat
file? and what should my settings be for a "regular" windows NT 4.0 box? how
do I set multiple settings for this variable, should I just seperate them
with the ":" character?
Sorry that these are such newbie questions, but I'm a newbie! :) I have
RTFM, and am still at a bit of a loss.

Thanks again for any help that can be provided.