* Removing netcat from Cygwin
@ 2021-02-16 17:05 Rodney Kissee
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Rodney Kissee @ 2021-02-16 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

My company identifies netcat as a hacking tool and is requiring it to be removed from our version of Cygwin.  How can it be removed or can Cygwin be downloaded without netcat included?

Rodney Kissee
Application Architect
Information Technology
Health Care Service Corp.
kisseer@hscil.com

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication is confidential, private, proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only for the use of the addressee.  Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately.

* Re: Removing netcat from Cygwin
@ 2021-02-16 17:20 ` Thomas Wolff
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2021-02-16 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 16.02.2021 um 18:05 schrieb Rodney Kissee via Cygwin:
> My company identifies netcat as a hacking tool and is requiring it to be removed from our version of Cygwin.  How can it be removed or can Cygwin be downloaded without netcat included?
There is no netcat cygwin package. You must have installed it separately.

> Rodney Kissee
> Application Architect
> Information Technology
> Health Care Service Corp.
> kisseer@hscil.com

> Disclaimer
>
> The information contained in this communication is confidential, private, proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only for the use of the addressee.  Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately.
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

* Re: Removing netcat from Cygwin
@ 2021-02-16 17:21 ` matthew patton
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: matthew patton @ 2021-02-16 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 12:05:32 PM EST, Rodney Kissee via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

 > My company identifies netcat as a hacking tool and is requiring it to be removed from our version of Cygwin.
aside from beating the moron with clue-by-four or locking him in the tape safe, rename binary to 'catnip' andalias nc=/usr/bin/catnip
easy. But the beatings would be my first choice. I mean by their logic, cars kill, and cars have wheels, so slash the tires of the moron in IT so he can't kill anyone.

* Re: Removing netcat from Cygwin
@ 2021-02-16 17:29 ` Stephen John Smoogen
From: Stephen John Smoogen @ 2021-02-16 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodney Kissee; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 12:22, Rodney Kissee via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> My company identifies netcat as a hacking tool and is requiring it to be
> removed from our version of Cygwin.  How can it be removed or can Cygwin be
> downloaded without netcat included?

Run setup,
Click 'view Full'
scroll down to nc
move Keep to Uninstall

click Next, click Next
Done.

> Rodney Kissee
> Application Architect
> Information Technology
> Health Care Service Corp.
> kisseer@hscil.com

> Disclaimer
>
> The information contained in this communication is confidential, private,
> proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only for the use of
> the addressee.  Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying is
> strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
> communication in error, please notify the sender immediately.
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Stephen J Smoogen.

* Re: Removing netcat from Cygwin
@ 2021-02-16 17:35   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2021-02-16 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Stephen wrote:
> Click 'view Full'
> scroll down to nc
Ah, right, it's called nc, but it's not in the base category. Maybe it
slipped in as a depency of some other package?

>> Rodney Kissee
>> Application Architect
>> Information Technology
>> Health Care Service Corp.
>> kisseer@hscil.com

>> Disclaimer
>>
>> The information contained in this communication is confidential,
>> private, proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only
>> for the use of the addressee.  Unauthorized use, disclosure,
>> distribution or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
>> If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
>> sender immediately.
>> --
>> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
>> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
>
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

* Re: Removing netcat from Cygwin
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-02-16 17:39 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-02-16 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16.02.2021 18:05, Rodney Kissee via Cygwin wrote:
> My company identifies netcat as a hacking tool and is requiring it to be removed from our version of Cygwin.  How can it be removed or can Cygwin be downloaded without netcat included?

I assume you are talking of

/usr/bin/nc

$ cygcheck -f /usr/bin/nc
nc-1.107-4

Solution:
   do not install the "nc" package or remove it if
   already installed

Or are you installing everything ?

https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.setup.everything

* Re: Removing netcat from Cygwin
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-02-16 17:40 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-02-16 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-02-16 10:05, Rodney Kissee via Cygwin wrote:
> My company identifies netcat as a hacking tool and is requiring it to be
> removed from our version of Cygwin.  How can it be removed or can Cygwin be
> downloaded without netcat included?
Package netcat is obsolete and has been replaced by nc; more modern replacements
socat and socat2 support more protocols and faster links; none are base packages
or dependencies of other packages so must be explicitly requested.

Many programs can be used as hacking tools: they can also be used as recovery
tools. The above are the software equivalent of patch cables, used to work
around when some parts of your network are not working because of
misconfiguration or failure without backup links and you need to recover.

They may be particularly useful if your systems have been pwned by ransomware,
much of your network is unusable or inaccessible, and your proprietary network
restore tools don't work on what you still can use.
Worth bearing such considerations in mind in health care organizations. ;^>

* Re: Removing netcat from Cygwin
@ 2021-02-16 18:05     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-02-16 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16.02.2021 18:35, Thomas Wolff wrote:

> Am 16.02.2021 um 18:20 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
>> Am 16.02.2021 um 18:05 schrieb Rodney Kissee via Cygwin:
>>> My company identifies netcat as a hacking tool and is requiring it to
>>> be removed from our version of Cygwin.  How can it be removed or can
>>> Cygwin be downloaded without netcat included?
>> There is no netcat cygwin package. You must have installed it separately.
> Stephen wrote:
>> Click 'view Full'
>> scroll down to nc
> Ah, right, it's called nc, but it's not in the base category. Maybe it
> slipped in as a depency of some other package?

Nope. not pulled by any package

$ cygcheck-dep -S -q -n nc
  nc: is needed for ( )