* get windows messages
@ 2000-12-20  4:59 flav
From: flav @ 2000-12-20  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hello,
	I would like to know if it is possible to get the windows
message and if it is possible, how to get them (without using the
windows
main loop)

thanks a lot
--
flav

* Re: get windows messages
@ 2000-12-20  5:13 ` Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-20  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flav, cygwin

On 20 Dec 2000, at 13:58, flav wrote:

> hello,
> 	I would like to know if it is possible to get the windows
> message and if it is possible, how to get them (without using the
> windows
> main loop)

hooks?  It's been a while...  There are a few other ways to do it...
inserting a parasite in the Windows DLLs... there are some
knowledge base articles on how to do this in Visual C++ or msdn.

> thanks a lot
> --
> flav
>
> --

* Re: get windows messages
@ 2000-12-20  5:13 ` Corinna Vinschen
       [not found]   ` <200012240409.UAA20384@cygnus.com>
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-20  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wednesday 20 December 2000 14:58, flav wrote:
> hello,
> 	I would like to know if it is possible to get the windows
> message and if it is possible, how to get them (without using the
> windows
> main loop)

From the Cygwin source code:

===== SNIP =====
The following unix-style calls are supported:

        open ("/dev/windows", flags, mode=0)
                - create a unix fd for message queue.
                  O_NONBLOCK flag controls the read() call behavior.

        read (fd, buf, len)
                - return next message from queue. buf must point to MSG
                  structure, len must be >= sizeof (MSG). If read is set to
                  non-blocking and the queue is empty, read call returns -1
                  immediately with errno set to EAGAIN, otherwise it blocks
                  untill the message will be received.

        write (fd, buf, len)
                - send a message pointed by buf. len argument ignored.

        ioctl (fd, command, *param)
                - control read()/write() behavior.
                ioctl (fd, WINDOWS_POST, NULL): write() will PostMessage();
                ioctl (fd, WINDOWS_SEND, NULL): write() will SendMessage();
                ioctl (fd, WINDOWS_HWND, &hWnd): read() messages for
                        hWnd window.

        select () call marks read fd when any message posted to queue.
===== SNAP =====

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: get windows messages
@ 2000-12-23 20:08   ` Dave Sainty
       [not found]   ` <200012240409.UAA20384@cygnus.com>
From: Dave Sainty @ 2000-12-23 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: dave

Corinna Vinschen writes:

> On Wednesday 20 December 2000 14:58, flav wrote:
> > hello,
> > =09I would like to know if it is possible to get the windows
> > message and if it is possible, how to get them (without using the
> > windows
> > main loop)
>
> =46rom the Cygwin source code:
>
>         open ("/dev/windows", flags, mode=3D0)
>                 - create a unix fd for message queue.

I know this is a bit after the fact, but wouldn't some kind of special
"socket" domain/family have been more appropriate here?

x = socket(PF_WINMSG, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);

Cheers,

Dave

* Re: get windows messages
       [not found]   ` <200012240409.UAA20384@cygnus.com>
@ 2000-12-24  1:50     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-24  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 05:10:29PM +1300, Dave Sainty wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > from the Cygwin source code:
> >
> >         open ("/dev/windows", flags, mode=3D0)
> >                 - create a unix fd for message queue.
>
> I know this is a bit after the fact, but wouldn't some kind of special
> "socket" domain/family have been more appropriate here?
>
> x = socket(PF_WINMSG, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);

The /dev/windows implementation is made by Sergey Okhapkin once
when he still has contributed to Cygwin.

I have in fact no opinion here. The joke is that both solutions
(device/socket) aren't inconsistent with each other in Cygwin.

Feel free to contribute a special socket code for the windows
message queue.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.