* RE: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-02  9:23 Fleischer, Karsten (K.)
From: Fleischer, Karsten (K.) @ 2001-04-02  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Robert Collins', cygwin

> What's missing in the pthread implementation? Give me a direction or
> particular function list and I'll see what I can do.

A quick grep on the posix.cc source file gives the following functions:

pthread_attr_create
pthread_attr_delete
pthread_attr_destroy
pthread_attr_init
pthread_attr_setdetachstate
pthread_attr_setprio
pthread_attr_setschedparam
pthread_attr_setstacksize
pthread_cond_broadcast
pthread_cond_destroy
pthread_cond_init
pthread_cond_signal
pthread_cond_timedwait
pthread_cond_wait
pthread_create
pthread_delay_np
pthread_detach
pthread_exit
pthread_get_expiration_np
pthread_getspecific
pthread_init
pthread_join
pthread_key_create
pthread_keycreate
pthread_mutex_destroy
pthread_mutex_init
pthread_mutex_lock
pthread_mutex_unlock
pthread_self
pthread_setprio
pthread_setschedattr
pthread_setschedparam
pthread_setspecific
pthread_yield

* Re: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-02 10:26 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-04-02 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fleischer, Karsten (K.); +Cc: 'Robert Collins', cygwin

"Fleischer, Karsten (K.)" wrote:

> > What's missing in the pthread implementation? Give me a direction or
> > particular function list and I'll see what I can do.
>
> A quick grep on the posix.cc source file gives the following functions:

This isn't what Robert asked.  He asked what is missing for your build.
Robert is well aware of what is already existing as he is currently
maintaining the PTHREAD routines for Cygwin.  He is trying to get
information about what you need to add it to Cygwin on an as needed
basis.  He doesn't have time to fit all of PTHREAD in the library all at
once.

Earnie.

* Re: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-12 16:25 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-04-12 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: K.Fleischer, cygwin

I've done some research.

Draft version 10 was adopted with minor variations as the posix
standard. I've been coding off the single unix specification version2,
which is a superset of the posix standards.

So you can assume cygwin is draft version 10, and you won't be far off.

The next cygwin snapshot to be released (Dated after Apr -10) will have
nearly all the functions from that spec. Not all actually _do_ anything
:]. They all return appropriate errors if they aren't supported. The
only missing function is pthread_atfork, and the main missing
functionality is the core of pthread_cancel*. The cancel functions do
work, they just don't do anything. There's around 30 other library
functions that have to be updated to provide full cancellation point
support so that is a long term project.

In short: if you get a snapshot with this code in it, miniORB should
build OOTB. If it doesn't.. please let me know (via the list).

Rob

From: Karsten Fleischer @ 2001-04-04 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> sched_yield is in the current snapshots for cygwin. I implemented it a
> couple of weeks ago :]

Good. We can then assume draft version 10, which is the highest number I

@ 2001-04-04 17:01 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-04-04 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Karsten Fleischer @ 2001-04-04 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > Which pthread draft version do we have on Cygwin?  At least 8, I
> think...
> > Robert?
>
> The original work - I have no idea.

Me neither. I was just guessing. Assuming version 8 seems reasonable to me
(pthread_attr_setdetachstate is/will be implemented in Cygwin and
pthread_yield is called rather than sched_yield from OmniORB).

> I'm working of the documentation at www.opengroup.org (searching on
> google is the easiest way to a good entry point). They don't mention
> draft versions there.. I'm goping to have to dig up the current IEEE
> specs I can see.

Hmm, as I mentioned before I'm not very familiar with pthreads but somehow I
remember seeing the term "draft" in this context more than once. HP-UX
headers? Dunno. I'll do a quick search on the HP-UX and SunOS systems at
work tomorrow.

> If the project uses autoconf...

Nope. OmniORB doesn't use autoconf. You have to select your building system
manually. In case of Cygwin, you have to write your own makefile or derive
one from the existing ones.

Personally, I don't think that the Python issue (which was the start of this
thread) is the biggest problem in building OmniORB as it is shipped with a
prebuilt Python (with or without thread support, that shouldn't matter since
it is needed only for building OmniORB itself and the IDL compiler omniidl
uses it as a backend for output). It has always been the incomplete pthreads
or, mixing Cygwin/POSIX and Windows stuff. I might be wrong since it's about
nine months ago I tried to build OmniORB with Cygwin.
Bruno, could you try it out with the prebuilt Python?
I will make another attempt at compiling OmniORB as soon as Robert has put
in the missing parts into pthreads.

Karsten

* Re: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-04 15:43 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-04-04 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fleischer, Karsten (K.), cygwin

From: Fleischer, Karsten (K.) @ 2001-04-04  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

> X> pthread_detach (draft <= : arg is pthread_t *, otherwise pthread_t)

Oops, it should read "... draft <= 6 ...".

Karsten

* RE: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-04  5:38 Fleischer, Karsten (K.)
From: Fleischer, Karsten (K.) @ 2001-04-04  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I had a closer look at OmniORB's posix.cc source file.

There is a macro "PthreadSupportThreadPriority" which toggles use of thread
priority. If undefined,following functions are never needed:
> pthread_attr_setprio
> pthread_attr_setschedparam
> pthread_setprio
> pthread_setschedattr
> pthread_setschedparam

Here are the functions that are always needed:
X> pthread_cond_broadcast
X> pthread_cond_destroy
X> pthread_cond_signal
X> pthread_cond_timedwait
X> pthread_cond_wait
X> pthread_exit
O> pthread_setspecific
X> pthread_mutex_lock
X> pthread_mutex_unlock
X> pthread_self
X> pthread_mutex_destroy
X> pthread_join

The following are available on some OS's only. Alternatives for other OS's
are given, just have to choose the right one.
> pthread_get_expiration_np
> pthread_delay_np

These are used only if we have a pthread draft 4 implementation:
> pthread_attr_create
> pthread_attr_delete
??> pthread_keycreate

Otherwise these are used instead:
X> pthread_attr_destroy
X> pthread_attr_init
O> pthread_key_create

The following have different calling conventions along different versions of
the pthread draft:
X> pthread_create (draft 4: second arg is pthread_attr_t, otherwise
pthread_attr_t *)
X> pthread_detach (draft <= : arg is pthread_t *, otherwise pthread_t)
O> pthread_getspecific (draft <= 6: void return type, needs second arg of
type void **; draft > 6: void * return type, no second arg)
X> pthread_yield (if draft == 6: called with NULL arg, elif draft < 9: no
arg, else: call sched_yield)

These two are called with second arg = 0 for draft version != 4. With draft
version 4 the second arg is
pthread_mutexatrr_default/pthread_condattr_default:
X> pthread_cond_init
X> pthread_mutex_init

This one is used only if draft version == 8:
X> pthread_attr_setdetachstate

This one is used only if NeedPthreadInit is defined
> pthread_init

This one, the only you marked as "can't be done", is used only if
!defined(__linux__)
C> pthread_attr_setstacksize

Which pthread draft version do we have on Cygwin?  At least 8, I think...
Robert?

Undefining the NoNanoSleep macro gets rid of pthread_delay_np. This forces
use of the nanosleep function instead in omni_thread::sleep.

Nothing has to be done to get rid of pthread_get_expiration_np. Use of
clock_gettime in omni_thread::get_time will happen automatically.

So for building OmniORB one has to
	- undefine PthreadSupportThreadPriority
	- undefine NeedPthreadInit
	- define PthreadDraftVersion to 8(?)
	- undefine NoNanoSleep
in the makefile.

This is done by setting
OMNITHREAD_POSIX_CPPFLAGS = -UPthreadSupportThreadPriority -UNeedPthreadInit
-DPthreadDraftVersion=8 -UNoNanoSleep
in the platform specific makefile.

The only change which is necessarily needed in posix.cc is to change line
537 from

#if !defined(__linux__)

#if !defined(__linux__) && !defined(__CYGWIN__)

Hope this helps...

Karsten

* Re: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-03 14:51   ` bruno patin (travail)
From: bruno patin (travail) @ 2001-04-03 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. J. Farrell; +Cc: groupe cygwin

Hi,

I agree with you I think there is a bug. My question was not on what the
definition of X_OK is but why it is as indicated by robert collins.

As a matter of fact, to end with mico, I only made the modification
indicated in my other mail and the compilation posed no other problem.
So I return to omniORB.

J. J. Farrell wrote:

>> From: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
>>
>>> From: bruno patin (travail) [ mailto:bruno.patin@wanadoo.fr ]
>>>
>>> as a matter of fact, I'll speak of Mico. There is at least
>>> one problem
>>> with the porting. In the file mico/include/mico/os-misc.h,
>>> there is in
>>> an enumerate an initialisation with the value X_OK. But the file
>>> unistd.h (in sys) define this value as : define X_OK
>>> _cygwin_X_OK and it
>>> is not an integer so you have an error at the compilation of
>>> the file in
>>> mico that include os-misc.h. I replace X_OK directly by the
>>> value of one
>>> (not a great feat and subject to other error I know). But what is the
>>> meaning of this define of X_OK in cygwin ?
>>
>> It's exported from libcygwin.a
>> (look in unistd.h - you should see
>> extern const unsigned _cygwin_X_OK;)
>

> That looks like an implementation bug - X_OK is supposed to be
> defined as a constant in <unistd.h>.
>

> --

* Re: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-03  8:06 ` J. J. Farrell
From: J. J. Farrell @ 2001-04-03  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-04-02 18:15 Karsten Fleischer
From: Karsten Fleischer @ 2001-04-02 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> More importantly, if you could see what calls are actually _required_
> and what calls are _preferred_.
>
> I.E. the setpri0 calls are almost certainly not _needed_ as they related
> to priority, not to data storage. useing these calls as an example, they
> may not be #ifdef'ed today, but if you #ifdef them omniORB should still
> work.
>
> If you can do this it will let me focus on whats required.

OK, I'll try it out. But I have to admit that I'm not too familiar with
pthreads. I'm having a day off tomorrow, so don't expect anything before,
hmm, Thursday, OK?

Karsten

* RE: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-02 18:01 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-04-02 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Karsten Fleischer @ 2001-04-02 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Karsten Fleischer @ 2001-04-02 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> This isn't what Robert asked.  He asked what is missing for your build.
> Robert is well aware of what is already existing as he is currently
> maintaining the PTHREAD routines for Cygwin.  He is trying to get
> information about what you need to add it to Cygwin on an as needed
> basis.  He doesn't have time to fit all of PTHREAD in the library all at
> once.

Earnie,
I'm quite aware that Robert can't do this spontanously.
As I said this was just a quick grep along the OmniORB sources.
And it was not me who asked for a build, I just wanted to share *my*
experiences on building OmniORB on Cygwin with you.
All I said was that OmniORB isn't usable with Cygwin at the moment, but once
pthreads are implemented with all the functions I grepped it should be quite
easy.

Karsten

* RE: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-02 16:16 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-04-02 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-04-02 14:43           ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-04-02 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: groupe cygwin

From: Robert Collins @ 2001-04-02 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fleischer, Karsten (K.), cygwin

> > What's missing in the pthread implementation? Give me a direction or
> > particular function list and I'll see what I can do.
>
> A quick grep on the posix.cc source file gives the following
functions:

Thanks.
    Are they all critical, or are any of them tested for?

I've marked below the status (from memory - it's not gospel) of cygwin.
X - done, bug reports accepted
C - can't be done, or very hard to do.  Should be critical regardless -
consider patching the source to not need this.
O - coded, but possibly not available in cygwin snapshots.

I suspect that some of your closely named function there are #if tested
across several platforms (ie whats the difference betwen
pthread_attr_delete and _destroy?

I'm going to make an effort this week to get a backlogged patch tidied
up and resubmitted which will cover the functions marked O, I'll post
here once that's in a snapshot.

IMO that should make your program compilable and useable (it may not
have relative priorities between threads, but that should not be a
showstopper.

Rob

> pthread_attr_create
> pthread_attr_delete
X> pthread_attr_destroy
X> pthread_attr_init
X> pthread_attr_setdetachstate
> pthread_attr_setprio
> pthread_attr_setschedparam
C> pthread_attr_setstacksize
X> pthread_cond_broadcast
X> pthread_cond_destroy
X> pthread_cond_init
X> pthread_cond_signal
X> pthread_cond_timedwait
X> pthread_cond_wait
X> pthread_create
> pthread_delay_np
X> pthread_detach
X> pthread_exit
> pthread_get_expiration_np
O> pthread_getspecific
> pthread_init
X> pthread_join
O> pthread_key_create
?? typo ??> pthread_keycreate
X> pthread_mutex_destroy
X> pthread_mutex_init
X> pthread_mutex_lock
X> pthread_mutex_unlock
X> pthread_self
> pthread_setprio
> pthread_setschedattr
> pthread_setschedparam
O> pthread_setspecific
X> pthread_yield

* Re: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-02 14:25         ` bruno patin (travail)
From: bruno patin (travail) @ 2001-04-02 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edward; +Cc: groupe cygwin

My first compilation gives me an error on the dii.cc. It declares
that :

in mico/include/mico/os-misc.h at line 217 : enumerator value for
ACCESS_EXEC not integer constant

strange because the initalisation is made by X_OK a classical define.

thanks for your help

edward wrote:

> [...]

* Re: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-02 14:04         ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2001-04-02 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edward; +Cc: bruno patin (travail), groupe cygwin

Edward,

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 02:28:34AM -0400, edward wrote:
> [...]

I had hoped so -- thanks for confirming it.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

* Re: port of omniorb
@ 2001-04-02 14:02         ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2001-04-02 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: bruno patin (travail), groupe cygwin

Rob,

@ 2001-04-02 10:27 Fleischer, Karsten (K.)
From: Fleischer, Karsten (K.) @ 2001-04-02 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2001-04-02  7:52 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-04-02  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fleischer, Karsten (K.), cygwin

From: Fleischer, Karsten (K.) @ 2001-04-02  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

> I too briefly looked into building a Cygwin omniorb.  But,
> when I realized
> that they did not support the CORBA 2.3 spec (i.e., POA) and that they
> did *not* use autoconf, I elected not to spend the time to attempt the
> port.

OmniORB 3 supports POA. However it is not yet completely CORBA 2.3
compliant. In the README they say:

-->8--
omniORB3 is not yet a complete implementation of the CORBA core. The
following features are not supported in the current release.

- Support for IDL type longlong, longdouble, wchar, wstring, fixed,
  valuetype

-->8--

> I found it ironic that they required Cygwin to build their Win32
> version but they did not have a Cygwin version.  Searching their
> archives, I found that someone asked how to build a Cygwin version in
> the past.  Unfortunately, no one ever responded.

They do not require a complete Cygwin to build. They require gmake, a
/bin/sh and  some tools (cp, mv, rm, I think). They provide wrappers around
the MSVC compiler, archiver and linker.

I believe the main reason that there isn't a Cygwin version of OmniORB is
that Cygwin's pthread support isn't finished yet. They use native Windows
threads instead. There's a lot of #ifdef __WIN32__ stuff in the sources.
But, you can't compile it with the -mno-cygwin option, because it's written
in C++. And this is turn the reason why you can't use the precompiled
OmniORB libraries for linking with GCC (different name mangling schemes).
Sigh...
So if you'd carefully tweak those #ifdef's I think you could build a Cygwin
version. I tried it once but gave up...

@ 2001-04-01 23:27       ` edward
From: edward @ 2001-04-01 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Tishler, bruno patin (travail); +Cc: groupe cygwin

@ 2001-03-31 21:26       ` Robert Collins

From: Jason Tishler @ 2001-03-31 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruno patin (travail); +Cc: groupe cygwin

@ 2001-03-31  0:45   ` bruno patin (travail)
From: bruno patin (travail) @ 2001-03-31  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason.Tishler; +Cc: groupe cygwin

First, thanks for your help,

Jason Tishler wrote:

> Bruno,
>
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 10:20:33PM +0200, bruno patin (travail) wrote:
>
>> I try to port omniorb on the cygwin platform. To do this, I'm first
>> porting python. I don't know why but I can't compile python with the
>> thread support and so I have problems with omniorb. Has someone
>> attempted such a thing.
>

> I noticed a while ago that omniorb needed Python to build their toolset.
> Are you sure that you need a Python with threading or just the ability
> to run Python scripts?  If the latter, then note that Python 2.1b2 builds
> OOTB under Cygwin if you configure as follows:
>
>     $ configure --with-threads=no

I did it before and it compile. But in the port of omniorb itself, the
omniidl command needs some Python software that it can't see. I wrote to
the omniorb mailing list and they ask me if cygwin could create .so
libraries. I didn't observe the gcc -shared command but I think you made
it identical with the other gcc on the other platforms. They ask for
knowing which platform to choose for the compilation as the cygwin one
doesn't exist. I took the glibc2.1 platform. Do you think it is right (I
regard the gcc version for this choice).

My choices :

to return to the python compiling and introduce a correct support thread
to use the native win32 omniorb implementation (is it possible and how)
to use another orb that is already ported on cygwin (do you know one)

As it is essential to my work I'm ready to make this effort as I think
it is really interesting to have a Broker present and native for the
cygwin platform in order to further banalize the windows os inside unix
environment (as a matter of fact your work is really good).

> Sorry, but Cygwin Python's support of threads is not ready for prime
> time.
>
> Jason

Thanks a lot

* Re: port of omniorb
@ 2001-03-30 13:39 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2001-03-30 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruno patin (travail); +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-03-30 12:02 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-03-30 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruno patin (travail), cygwin

At 03:20 PM 3/30/2001, bruno patin (travail) wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I try to port omniorb on the cygwin platform. To do this, I'm first porting python. I don't know why but I can't compile python with the thread support and so I have problems with omniorb. Has someone attempted such a thing.
>
>As a matter of fact, I really want to port my programs that use omniorb but I don't know how to use directly the windows dll of omniorb directly with a complation of my programs.

Cygwin has limited thread support, although allot of work has been done on
it recently.  See the messages from Rob Collins in the email archives over
the last couple of weeks to get yourself familiar with what's there (or
look at the source if you dare!;-)).

* port of omniorb
@ 2001-03-30 11:55 bruno patin (travail)
From: bruno patin (travail) @ 2001-03-30 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I try to port omniorb on the cygwin platform. To do this, I'm first
porting python. I don't know why but I can't compile python with the
thread support and so I have problems with omniorb. Has someone
attempted such a thing.

As a matter of fact, I really want to port my programs that use omniorb
but I don't know how to use directly the windows dll of omniorb directly
with a complation of my programs.

thanks for the help.