* Need a ghostscript maintainer
@ 2001-06-28 19:15 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-06-28 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Anyone interested in being the new ghostscript maintainer?

The old one is too busy currently.

Send me private email (?!?) if you're interested.

cgf

* Re: Need a ghostscript maintainer
@ 2001-06-29 14:43 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-06-29 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:15:47PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Anyone interested in being the new ghostscript maintainer?
>
>The old one is too busy currently.
>
>Send me private email (?!?) if you're interested.

No takers?  Isn't anyone even curious about this?  I'll have to remove
ghostscript from the distribution if we can't get a maintainer.

@ 2001-07-01  0:43   ` Dmitry Timoshkov
From: Dmitry Timoshkov @ 2001-07-01  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:15:47PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >Anyone interested in being the new ghostscript maintainer?
> >
> >The old one is too busy currently.
> >
> >Send me private email (?!?) if you're interested.
>
> No takers?  Isn't anyone even curious about this?  I'll have to remove
> ghostscript from the distribution if we can't get a maintainer.

Since ghostscript is fairly well supported for native win32 builds (binaries
could be found quite easy too) and presumely doesn't use any unix specific
functionality, it could be possible to not provide it with Cygwin at all.
--
Dmitry.

* Re: Need a ghostscript maintainer
@ 2001-07-01  4:09     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-07-01  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Timoshkov, cygwin

> > On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:15:47PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > >Anyone interested in being the new ghostscript maintainer?
> > >
> > >The old one is too busy currently.
> > >
> > >Send me private email (?!?) if you're interested.
> >
> > No takers?  Isn't anyone even curious about this?  I'll have to remove
> > ghostscript from the distribution if we can't get a maintainer.
>
> Since ghostscript is fairly well supported for native win32 builds
(binaries
> could be found quite easy too) and presumely doesn't use any unix specific
> functionality, it could be possible to not provide it with Cygwin at all.

In fact it didn't use to be provided. Users asked for it. Check the
archives. (Native ghostscript doesn't support cygwin paths for starters &&
what about X support).

Rob

* Re: Need a ghostscript maintainer
@ 2001-07-01  5:03       ` Dmitry Timoshkov
From: Dmitry Timoshkov @ 2001-07-01  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

"Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au> wrote:

> > > No takers?  Isn't anyone even curious about this?  I'll have to remove
> > > ghostscript from the distribution if we can't get a maintainer.
> >
> > Since ghostscript is fairly well supported for native win32 builds
> (binaries
> > could be found quite easy too) and presumely doesn't use any unix specific
> > functionality, it could be possible to not provide it with Cygwin at all.
>
> In fact it didn't use to be provided. Users asked for it. Check the
> archives. (Native ghostscript doesn't support cygwin paths for starters &&
> what about X support).

Well, cygwin path is not the crucial argument for a user working in the win32
environment, is it? An X support is not so critical either, while we are not
talking about remote displays.
--
Dmitry.

* Re: Need a ghostscript maintainer
@ 2001-07-01  5:44         ` Jerome BENOIT
From: Jerome BENOIT @ 2001-07-01  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Timoshkov; +Cc: Robert Collins, cygwin

Cygwin path unixlike and the ability to use GS in scripts are crucial
at least for `teTeX' if one want manipulate figures (for example):
futhermore is hard to say what is crucial or not for an arbitrary user.
As other basic tools, GS is needed to a get a good unixlike environment.

@ 2001-07-02 22:28       ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-07-02 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: Dmitry Timoshkov, cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:

> In fact it didn't use to be provided. Users asked for it. Check the
> archives. (Native ghostscript doesn't support cygwin paths for starters &&
> what about X support).

Actually, until cygwin-xfree becomes an official part of the
setup.exe-supported cygwin platform, ghostscript should not be built
with X support at all.  If ghostscript has X support, then it will
*require* that users download & install the huge cygwin-xfree package
(without the assistance of setup.exe) -- or else gs.exe will complain of
missing dll's.

Thus, the "official" ghostscript package shouldn't have X
support/dependency.

For the rest of the question, "Why provide a cygwin ghostscript?",
Jerome's answer is good (paraphrase):

The ability to understand and use unixlike cygwin path constructs, and
to call gs.exe from scripts are crucial in many cases, especially 'teTeX'.

--Chuck

* Re: Need a ghostscript maintainer.
@ 2001-07-01  8:59 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-07-01  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ghostscript has already been built successfully.  Check the archives.

However, this really doesn't help in my quest for a maintainer.

I did have one (1) response to my query.  I hope that this person was
serious and is setting up the environment now for building ghostscript
now.  I'll be very happy if that is the case.

cgf

@ 2001-07-01  8:42 Ronald W. Cook