* Cygwin's CVS - can it be a network server?
@ 2001-08-13 12:40 James L. Ash
From: James L. Ash @ 2001-08-13 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Can the implementation of CVS provided with Cygwin be used as a remote
server as well as a local repository? Can remote clients (UNIX) connect
to such a repository running on an NT machine? Is cvsnt a better
alternative? Are there known issues?

thanks.

* Re: Cygwin's CVS - can it be a network server?
@ 2001-08-13 12:44 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-08-13 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James L. Ash; +Cc: cygwin

"James L. Ash" wrote:

> Can the implementation of CVS provided with Cygwin be used as a remote
> server as well as a local repository? Can remote clients (UNIX) connect
> to such a repository running on an NT machine?

The pserver code is there, and compiled in.  However, nobody has
rigorously tested it AFAIK.

> Is cvsnt a better
> alternative? Are there known issues?

Dunno.  I'd welcome test reports (and bugfixes/solutions) if you've got
'em.

--Chuck
cvs volunteer maintainer
for cygwin.

* Cygwin
@ 2001-08-14  7:39   ` T.Phan
From: T.Phan @ 2001-08-14  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

  Is there a Cygwin Perl mailing list?  Or are there any users
  using Cygwin perl?

  I have a lot of question regarding Cygwin Perl which I do not
  which list is the correct list to post.  THanks!

From: T.Phan @ 2001-08-14  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

  Where is the pserver or what is the setup procedure using pserver and cvs?
  Thanks!

@ 2001-08-14  9:24     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-08-14  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.Phan; +Cc: cygwin

T.Phan wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Where is the pserver or what is the setup procedure using pserver and cvs?
>   Thanks!

AFAIK, you are breaking new ground: very few people have tried this (no
one?) on cygwin.  You'll have to figure out how to do it on your own.  I
suggest looking at non-cygwin sources of documentation, like the stuff
at this website:

http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs-index.html

You'll probably need to get inetd started first; read
/usr/doc/Cygwin/inetd.README.

--Chuck

* Re: Cygwin's CVS - can it be a network server?
@ 2001-08-14  9:37       ` Mark Paulus
From: Mark Paulus @ 2001-08-14  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

What would be wrong with looking at the CVS documentation at:
http://www.cvshome.org ?

@ 2001-08-21 23:02 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-08-21 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 06:50:01PM -0500, ASH, JAMES (SBCSI) wrote:
> I believe I have answered my own question. The answer is, yes, it can run as
> a remote server.
>
> I am running the cvs 1.11 from the cygwin distribution on an NT box and am
> able to access it from the AIX box I am using, as well as from other NT
> boxes with cygwin installed. I write this in case someone else can benefit
> from this.
>
> I still have an issue. I am able to do this if:
> 1) I run the inetd on the server as 'Administrator'
> 2) I login from the remote cvs client to the cvs pserver as 'Administrator'.
>
> This account is setup on the NT server as an NT user with no password via
> NT's User Manager.
>
> The inetd is currently not running with ntsec.
>
> If I try to connect as anything but 'Administrator', I get the message
> setuid failed:not owner. (I created a new NT account and attempted to
> connect using that account, having setup the appropriate pserver passwd,
> etc...)
>
> In all cases, if the inetd is running under the same account as the cvs
> account I have created, all works fine.
>
> My question is this: What is "setuid failed: Not owner" trying to tell me?
> Which process is trying to accomplish a setuid? Is it the inetd or the cvs
> pserver?

It's cvs. Inetd never changes user context. setuid failed since
you have to use ntsec and you have to care for your /etc/passwd
and /etc/group files to switch user context.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: Cygwin's CVS - can it be a network server?
@ 2001-08-21 16:50 ASH, JAMES (SBCSI)
From: ASH, JAMES (SBCSI) @ 2001-08-21 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

@ 2001-08-21 14:52           ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-08-21 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Young; +Cc: cygwin

On 21 Aug 2001 13:48:55 -0600, Warren Young wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >
> > Actually, maybe just a symbolic link in /etc to the correct services
> > file would be better.
>
> I came to that conclusion too, and tried it.  It does work, and it's
> more natural than my original solution.
>
> > It would have to be added as a post-install script, though, obviously.
>
> How does Cygwin's post-install system work?  If there's a Bourne shell
> script you can modify, add this:

There is. We probably need hosts as well though...

if [ "$OS" = "Windows_NT" ]
then
	servdir="`cygpath -u $SYSTEMROOT`/SYSTEM32/DRIVERS/ETC"
else
 	servdir="`cygpath -u $WINDIR`/SERVICES"
fi
ln -s $servdir/SERVICES /etc/services
ln -s $servdir/HOSTS /etc/hosts

Rob

* Re: Cygwin's CVS - can it be a network server?
@ 2001-08-21 12:48         ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2001-08-21 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Actually, maybe just a symbolic link in /etc to the correct services
> file would be better.

I came to that conclusion too, and tried it.  It does work, and it's
more natural than my original solution.

> It would have to be added as a post-install script, though, obviously.

How does Cygwin's post-install system work?  If there's a Bourne shell
script you can modify, add this:

if [ "$OS" = "Windows_NT" ]
then
	servdir="`cygpath -u $SYSTEMROOT`/SYSTEM32/DRIVERS/ETC"
else
	servdir="`cygpath -u $WINDIR`/SERVICES"
fi
ln -s $servdir/SERVICES /etc/services

--
= Warren -- ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m

* Re: Cygwin's CVS - can it be a network server?
@ 2001-08-21 10:16       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-21 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 10:42:17AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>David Starks-Browning wrote:

>> > Correct. It uses the services file of the OS:
>> >
>> > 9x/ME:        ${WINDIR}\\SERVICES
>> > NT/W2K:       ${SYSTEMROOT}\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\services
>>
>> I've been meaning to add this to the FAQ, BTW.  Will try to get to it soon.
>
>Perhaps it would also be good if Cygwin set up an /etc/services file
>with only comments in it, telling the user where to find the services
>file that is actually used.  It might also be good to say _why_ Cygwin
>doesn't use /etc/services.  ("Because it's simpler to use Winsock's
>getservbyname() than to roll our own, that's why.")

Actually, maybe just a symbolic link in /etc to the correct services
file would be better.

It would have to be added as a post-install script, though, obviously.

cgf

* Re: Cygwin's CVS - can it be a network server?
@ 2001-08-21  9:42     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2001-08-21  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

= Warren -- Video articles: http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/video/
=

@ 2001-08-21  2:19   ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2001-08-21  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Saturday 18 Aug 01, Corinna Vinschen writes:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 01:47:48PM -0500, ASH, JAMES (SBCSI) wrote:
> > Through many hours of experimentation, it seems that cygwin doesn't require,
> > or use, the /etc/services file. (Is this statement correct?)
>
> Correct. It uses the services file of the OS:
>
> 9x/ME:	${WINDIR}\\SERVICES
> NT/W2K:	${SYSTEMROOT}\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\services

I've been meaning to add this to the FAQ, BTW.  Will try to get to it soon.

Regards,
David
(Cygwin FAQ maintainer)

* Re: Cygwin's CVS - can it be a network server?
@ 2001-08-18 13:08 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-08-18 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 01:47:48PM -0500, ASH, JAMES (SBCSI) wrote:
> Through many hours of experimentation, it seems that cygwin doesn't require,
> or use, the /etc/services file. (Is this statement correct?)

Correct. It uses the services file of the OS:

9x/ME:	${WINDIR}\\SERVICES
NT/W2K:	${SYSTEMROOT}\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\services

However, you can create a convenience link in /etc if you like.
E.g. for 9x/ME:

    ln -s /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/SERVICES /etc/services

It's easier if you want to edit the file.

> P.S. BTW, how does one pronounce Cygwin? Is it Cy- as in cyborg?

It's Ci- as in Cinema.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: Cygwin's CVS - can it be a network server?
@ 2001-08-18 11:47 ASH, JAMES (SBCSI)
From: ASH, JAMES (SBCSI) @ 2001-08-18 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I followed all the directions in the /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README.
I've gotten the inetd running. I can telnet to my box now, so I'm pretty
sure that the inetd is configured correctly. This is cygwin-nt4 1.3.2.

The cvs documentation from Fogel ( http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html )
explains how to set up pserver by making an entry in the /etc/services file.
Through many hours of experimentation, it seems that cygwin doesn't require,
or use, the /etc/services file. (Is this statement correct?)

My question is, how do I install a cvs pserver to listen on port 2401? Does
the inetd need to be hard-coded in order to do this?

Thanks.

       [not found] <997833795.4654.ezmlm@sources.redhat.com>
@ 2001-08-15  4:55 ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2001-08-15  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: T.Phan

The cvs client works wonderful, with pserver and ssh also.

But for the CVS server on cygwin the problems will be the
current affairs with rcs which AFAIK still requires \r\n textfiles.

anyone plans to port a cygwin compliant rcs?
my MSVC version only works with textmode \r\n files.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

* Re: Cygwin's CVS - can it be a network server?
       [not found] <200108141640.MAA03457@smtpsrv1.isis.unc.edu>
@ 2001-08-14 13:13 ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2001-08-14 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Paulus; +Cc: cygwin