* Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9
@ 2002-03-19 22:31 Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-03-19 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I had set up anonymous ftp before and it was working find (probably
around 1.3.6). Now on 1.3.9 it doesn't seem to be working right. I've
checked and rechecked things in the ftpd(1) page to no avail. Checking
the error log show me:

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	ftpd
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	0
Date:
	3/19/2002
Time:
	5:27:28 PM
User:
	NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:
ADEFARIA
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ftpd ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
ftpd : Win32 Process Id = 0x998 : Cygwin Process Id = 0xA78 : fcntl
F_SETOWN: Invalid argument.

It's this F_SETOWN fcntl call that concerns me. Anybody have anonymous
ftp working with Cygwin 1.3.9?

(BTW The ftp home directory is mounted from another Windows server - if
that matters - it didn't used to! :-)

* Re: Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9
@ 2002-03-20  1:33 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-03-20  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew DeFaria; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Andrew,

Wednesday, March 20, 2002, 2:38:01 AM, you wrote:

AD> I had set up anonymous ftp before and it was working find (probably
AD> around 1.3.6). Now on 1.3.9 it doesn't seem to be working right. I've

What exactly isn't working ?

[snip]

AD> ftpd : Win32 Process Id = 0x998 : Cygwin Process Id = 0xA78 : fcntl
AD> F_SETOWN: Invalid argument.

Search the mail list archives - it's all there.

AD> It's this F_SETOWN fcntl call that concerns me. Anybody have anonymous

I think not, but again you don't say what isn't working.

* Re: Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9
@ 2002-03-20 12:52   ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-03-20 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Tsekov; +Cc: cygwin

Hmmm... Why did you email me personally? Keep it on the list! (I thought
I had set up the Followup-To or the Reply-To to handle this).

Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> Wednesday, March 20, 2002, 2:38:01 AM, you wrote:
>
> AD> I had set up anonymous ftp before and it was working find (probably
> AD> around 1.3.6). Now on 1.3.9 it doesn't seem to be working right. I've
>
> What exactly isn't working ?

adefaria:/bin/ftp adefaria
Connected to adefaria.SALIRA.COM.
220- Welcome to adefaria's ftp service
220 adefaria FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
Name (adefaria:adefaria): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
/bin/ftp: Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>

> [snip]
>
> AD> ftpd : Win32 Process Id = 0x998 : Cygwin Process Id = 0xA78 : fcntl
> AD> F_SETOWN: Invalid argument.
>
> Search the mail list archives - it's all there.

Searched the mail list. There were 32 matches for F_SETOWN. None of them
are appropriate. Some discussed F_SETOWN in the event log and how we can
safely ignore it. However as shown above, I cannot perform anonymous
ftp's and the event log F_SETOWN message is my only clue.

> AD> It's this F_SETOWN fcntl call that concerns me. Anybody have anonymous
>
> I think not, but again you don't say what isn't working

As shown above, I cannot successfully login as anonymous through ftpd

* Re[2]: Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9
@ 2002-03-21  3:19     ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-03-21  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew DeFaria; +Cc: Pavel Tsekov

Hello Andrew,

AD> Pavel Tsekov wrote:

>> Hello Andrew,
>>
>> Wednesday, March 20, 2002, 2:38:01 AM, you wrote:
>>
>> AD> I had set up anonymous ftp before and it was working find (probably
>> AD> around 1.3.6). Now on 1.3.9 it doesn't seem to be working right. I've
>>
>> What exactly isn't working ?

AD> adefaria:/bin/ftp adefaria
AD> Connected to adefaria.SALIRA.COM.
AD> 220- Welcome to adefaria's ftp service
AD> 220 adefaria FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
AD> Name (adefaria:adefaria): anonymous
AD> 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
AD> Password:
AD> 530 Login incorrect.
AD> /bin/ftp: Login failed.
AD> Remote system type is UNIX.
AD> Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>>

Ok, check your /etc/ftpusers - maybe it has anonymous listed in it
(the default). If so remove it ... If you still have problems stick to
/usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-x.x.x.README.

[snip]

>> I think not, but again you don't say what isn't working

AD> As shown above, I cannot successfully login as anonymous through ftpd

Ok, but at least you know that "fcntl F_SETOWN: Invalid argument." has
nothing to do with your problem.

* Re: Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9
@ 2002-03-21  8:24       ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-03-21  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Again, please stop emailing me directly - keep in on the list!

Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> Wednesday, March 20, 2002, 9:13:56 PM, you wrote:
>
> AD> Pavel Tsekov wrote:

>>>What exactly isn't working ?
>>>

> AD> adefaria:/bin/ftp adefaria
> AD> Connected to adefaria.SALIRA.COM.
> AD> 220- Welcome to adefaria's ftp service
> AD> 220 adefaria FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
> AD> Name (adefaria:adefaria): anonymous
> AD> 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
> AD> Password:
> AD> 530 Login incorrect.
> AD> /bin/ftp: Login failed.
> AD> Remote system type is UNIX.
> AD> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp>>
>
> Ok, check your /etc/ftpusers - maybe it has anonymous listed in it
> (the default). If so remove it ... If you still have problems stick to
> /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-x.x.x.README.

No, anonymous is not in /etc/ftpusers. /etc/ftpusers is a 0 length file. Besides, as I
said before (hmmm... maybe I didn't) I had this working already on a server. Anonymous
ftp was working just fine then it broke. So I had already went through all of the steps
to get it to work correctly. I believe I installed a new version of Cygwin and it broke.

Now I know installing a new version of Cygwin changes things, but I have this customized
setup script that I wrote and one of the things it does is to recreate the steps I used
last time to get anonymous ftp setup on the server only.

Plus I recreated, by hand, and checked all the things in ftpd(1) re setting up anonymous
ftp. Still I'm stuck.

> [snip]
>

>>>I think not, but again you don't say what isn't working
>>>

> AD> As shown above, I cannot successfully login as anonymous through ftpd
>
> Ok, but at least you know that "fcntl F_SETOWN: Invalid argument." has
> nothing to do with your problem.

I'm not necessarily totally convinced that this has nothing to do with the problem. I've
read that this error message comes out even with non anonymous ftp. However perhaps,
with anonymous ftp, this error message is pertenent or perhaps is pointing a finger
towards the real problem. Maybe not.

My thoughts are that some sort of security check has been tightened up in some manner
such that this is now broken.

OK, here's a though: My /etc/passwd file is a symlink to a global password file. This
makes maintainance a lot easier. And besides, it's not like Cygwin is a real OS where
you login. Anyways I learned, however, that on NT 4 a symlinked /etc/passwd file does not
work when you telnet or rsh to a machine (apparently login.exe on NT 4 is a bit more
picky than login on 2000/Xp). So perhaps in.ftpd got more picky about this on 2000/Xp
with Cygwin 1.3.9. I'll have to check this out when I get to work today.

Nope. just tried this on my home machine, no symlinked /etc/passwd, still doesn't work.
I have 1.3.10 at home.

* Re[2]: Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9
@ 2002-03-22  2:23         ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-03-22  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew DeFaria

Hello Andrew,

AD> Again, please stop emailing me directly - keep in on the list!

Well, I see you've found the solution to this problem :)

Read below for more info on the anonymous ftp problem.

AD> Pavel Tsekov wrote:

>> Hello Andrew,
>>
>> Wednesday, March 20, 2002, 9:13:56 PM, you wrote:

>> AD> adefaria:/bin/ftp adefaria
>> AD> Connected to adefaria.SALIRA.COM.
>> AD> 220- Welcome to adefaria's ftp service
>> AD> 220 adefaria FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
>> AD> Name (adefaria:adefaria): anonymous
>> AD> 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
>> AD> Password:
>> AD> 530 Login incorrect.
>> AD> /bin/ftp: Login failed.
>> AD> Remote system type is UNIX.
>> AD> Using binary mode to transfer files.
>> ftp>>

Ok, I was able to reproduce this behaviour on  my WinXP Home
Edition... So it seems there is some kind of a problem (at least for me and you).
For the record I'm running 1.3.10 and inetutils 1.3.2-17.

I got the sources for inetutils and I'm going to debug it this night.

Btw reading the inetutils README file I've noticed this:

Version 1.3.2-6: Fix complete_login to allow anonymous ftp to enter
                 mail address as password.

Seems like this was a problem before and strikes back... I'll
investigate further.

* Re[3]: Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9
@ 2002-03-22 14:38           ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-03-22 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Friday, March 22, 2002, 9:46:31 AM, you wrote:

[snip]

>>> ftp>>

Ok - check if the /etc/passwd, /etc/group files a world readable.

Do you have ftp user created in your Windows database or you mapped
the ftp user in /etc/passwd to the Windows Guest user ? I've
determined that creating a user without a password to be used by
ftpd doesnt work on WinXP (maybe others too but I dont have access to test).
Or much better would be to say - a user without a pass cannot log in
into ftpd on WinXP Home. I can reproduce this behaviours each time...

PT> Ok, I was able to reproduce this behaviour on  my WinXP Home
PT> Edition... So it seems there is some kind of a problem (at least for me and you).
PT> For the record I'm running 1.3.10 and inetutils 1.3.2-17.

This was my first impression - later I've determined what I've said
above.

PT> I got the sources for inetutils and I'm going to debug it this night.

Well, I did ... I learned many things :) i.e. the little secret about
/etc/passwd and /etc/group for exmaple :) (Yes, this is not in the
FAQ!)

* Re: Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9
@ 2002-03-22 17:57             ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-03-22 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> Ok - check if the /etc/passwd, /etc/group files a world readable.

They are.

> Do you have ftp user created in your Windows database or you mapped
> the ftp user in /etc/passwd to the Windows Guest user?

As I've said before, this was working then stopped working. The ftp
user was already in the domain. But this led me to thinking and I
checked out the ftp user in the domain and lo and behold, guess what?
It's password expired 2/15/2002! Just about the time this went flakey.
Well that explains that! This was on Windows 2000 BTW.

Now to get it working on my home PC where there is no domain controller.
This is on Windows XP.

> I've
> determined that creating a user without a password to be used by
> ftpd doesnt work on WinXP (maybe others too but I dont have access to test).
> Or much better would be to say - a user without a pass cannot log in
> into ftpd on WinXP Home. I can reproduce this behaviours each time...

Funny my experience is the opposite. I turned on the Guest account then
edited my /etc/passwd to change "Guest" to "ftp" in the username field
only and set the home directory to point to my FTP area. At this point
"Guest" does not have a password. Anonymous ftp works but then again so
does a telnet as user ftp without a password! Funny thing is that
anonymous ftp does not show the contents of my FTP area while telneting
in as ftp does!

Now if I put a password on the Guest account then telneting in as ftp
requires that password. But now anonymous ftping doesn't!

Any ideas? I want to set up anonymous ftp but I don't want to leave
myself wide open to do so.

> PT> Ok, I was able to reproduce this behaviour on  my WinXP Home
> PT> Edition... So it seems there is some kind of a problem (at least for me and you).
> PT> For the record I'm running 1.3.10 and inetutils 1.3.2-17.
>
> This was my first impression - later I've determined what I've said
> above.
>
> PT> I got the sources for inetutils and I'm going to debug it this night.
>
> Well, I did ... I learned many things :) i.e. the little secret about
> /etc/passwd and /etc/group for exmaple :) (Yes, this is not in the
> FAQ!)

And what might that be?

* Re[2]: Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9
@ 2002-03-22 20:33               ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-03-22 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello Andrew,

Saturday, March 23, 2002, 1:17:02 AM, you wrote:

[snip]

AD> Now to get it working on my home PC where there is no domain controller.
AD> This is on Windows XP.

>> I've
>> determined that creating a user without a password to be used by
>> ftpd doesnt work on WinXP (maybe others too but I dont have access to test).
>> Or much better would be to say - a user without a pass cannot log in
>> into ftpd on WinXP Home. I can reproduce this behaviours each time...

AD> Funny my experience is the opposite. I turned on the Guest account then
AD> edited my /etc/passwd to change "Guest" to "ftp" in the username field
AD> only and set the home directory to point to my FTP area. At this point
AD> "Guest" does not have a password. Anonymous ftp works but then again so
AD> does a telnet as user ftp without a password! Funny thing is that
AD> anonymous ftp does not show the contents of my FTP area while telneting
AD> in as ftp does!

Guest is some kind of special beast - try with a freshly created user
which has no password. Try to login via ftp using this account -
you'll see (maybe) what I mean.

AD> Now if I put a password on the Guest account then telneting in as ftp
AD> requires that password. But now anonymous ftping doesn't!

ftpd knows anonymous is guest and passes to the API LogonUser an empty
password... Still I dont know what happens when you telnet - I've
played just with ftpd.

AD> Any ideas? I want to set up anonymous ftp but I don't want to leave
AD> myself wide open to do so.

Well its written in the README - you have to use account with an empty
pass :) Can't help...

>> PT> I got the sources for inetutils and I'm going to debug it this night.
>>
>> Well, I did ... I learned many things :) i.e. the little secret about
>> /etc/passwd and /etc/group for exmaple :) (Yes, this is not in the
>> FAQ!)

AD> And what might that be?

The must be word readable - I dont see it anywhere in the README...
Though I know this from the mailing list..

* Re: Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9
@ 2002-03-23  3:48                 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-03-23  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> AD> Funny my experience is the opposite. I turned on the Guest account then
> AD> edited my /etc/passwd to change "Guest" to "ftp" in the username field
> AD> only and set the home directory to point to my FTP area. At this point
> AD> "Guest" does not have a password. Anonymous ftp works but then again so
> AD> does a telnet as user ftp without a password! Funny thing is that
> AD> anonymous ftp does not show the contents of my FTP area while telneting
> AD> in as ftp does!
>
> Guest is some kind of special beast - try with a freshly created user
> which has no password. Try to login via ftp using this account -
> you'll see (maybe) what I mean.
>
> AD> Now if I put a password on the Guest account then telneting in as ftp
> AD> requires that password. But now anonymous ftping doesn't!
>
> ftpd knows anonymous is guest and passes to the API LogonUser an empty
> password... Still I dont know what happens when you telnet - I've
> played just with ftpd.
>
> AD> Any ideas? I want to set up anonymous ftp but I don't want to leave
> AD> myself wide open to do so.
>
> Well its written in the README - you have to use account with an empty
> pass :) Can't help...

Well I got it up and running. Here's what I had to do. Perhaps this should be included
in some sort of FAQ:

1) Changed username Guest -> ftp in /etc/passwd.
2) Changed ftp's home directory to point to my ftp area.
3) Turned on Guest account.
4) Made sure Guest's password was unset.
5) Set ftp's shell to /bin/false. This insures that telnet ftp <nopassword> is not
a security problem.

Regarding setup of anonymous ftp area:

According to ftpd(1) it says to make ~ftp owned by "root" and unwriteable by anyone.
I set it to 555 and owned by SYSTEM.

~ftp/bin: The man page says this must be owned by "root" and unwriteable by anyone so
again I set it to 555 and owned by system. The man page says put a copy of ls.exe in
~ftp/bin and make it 111. This doesn't work for 2 reasons. First you also need a copy
of cygwin1.dll in ~ftp/bin. Secondly if it's set to 111 the ls does nothing! So I changed
it to 555. I also set cygwin1.dll to 555 and make both of these owned by SYSTEM.

~ftp/etc: The man page says the directory should be owned by root and unwriteable by
anyone. Again I set it to 555 and owned by SYSTEM. I put a copy of passwd and group
in there to as well as a customized motd and set them to 444 and owned by SYSTEM.

~ftp/pub: I didn't create this.

Also, you need to remove ftp and anonymous from /etc/ftpusers.

The only problem remaining is that if I browse to my ftp area with Netscape 6.x using
ftp://<Home PC IP Address> I get a blank page. If I go to ftp://<Home PC IP Address>/subdir
then it displays the contents properly. If I go to ftp://<Home PC IP Address> in IE 6
it switches from IE to Explorer and displays things properly. Strange...