* Trouble with inetd (start but doesn't work)
@ 2002-04-18  3:11 Auricom
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Auricom @ 2002-04-18  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

Here is my configuration:

Win2K Server Version 5.00.2195 (no pack applied)
Cygwin 1.3.10

The problem is inetd start but I can't telnet or ftp into my computer.
The answer is "connection refused" when I try to connect to localhost
or from the net...

When I use ncftp, I have this message:

Administrateur@AURICOM : ncftp localhost
NcFTP 3.1.3 (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason (ncftp@ncftp.com).
Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: The socket is not connected.
Could not open host localhost: could not connect to remote host.

We can see that the socket is not connected, but I can't find a solution
to solve this issue.

Is there a workaround ???

Thanks for help...
Auricom@meloo.com

---
Ce mel a été envoyé avec Meloo http://www.meloo.com

* Re: Trouble with inetd (start but doesn't work)
@ 2002-04-18  4:34 ` Pavel Tsekov
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-04-18  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Auricom; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Auricom,

A> The problem is inetd start but I can't telnet or ftp into my computer.
A> The answer is "connection refused" when I try to connect to localhost
A> or from the net...

Do you have the ftp line in /etc/inetd.conf commented ? Is so
remove the comment.

* RE: Trouble with inetd (start but doesn't work)
@ 2002-04-18  5:16   ` Auricom
From: Auricom @ 2002-04-18  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Tsekov

hello Pavel,

Ftp line and telnet line are not commented !
That's the problem ;-)

I'm working on this problem for 2 days now.
I have done everything that was explain in the readme files provided with
cygwin, I watch all HowTo I can find over internet and it doesn't work...

It really seems that inetd don't use any socket, so the question is how
inetd can run like this ??

Thank you for your help
Auricom@meloo.com

A> The problem is inetd start but I can't telnet or ftp into my computer.
A> The answer is "connection refused" when I try to connect to localhost
A> or from the net...

Do you have the ftp line in /etc/inetd.conf commented ? Is so
remove the comment.

* Re: Trouble with inetd (start but doesn't work)
@ 2002-04-18 17:05 ` Andrew DeFaria
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-04-18 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Auricom wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is my configuration:
>
> Win2K Server Version 5.00.2195 (no pack applied)
> Cygwin 1.3.10
>
> The problem is inetd start but I can't telnet or ftp into my computer.
> The answer is "connection refused" when I try to connect to localhost
> or from the net...
>
> When I use ncftp, I have this message:
>
> Administrateur@AURICOM : ncftp localhost
> NcFTP 3.1.3 (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason (ncftp@ncftp.com).
> Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: The socket is not connected.
> Could not open host localhost: could not connect to remote host.
>
> We can see that the socket is not connected, but I can't find a
> solution to solve this issue.
>
> Is there a workaround ???

Try stopping the inetd server (net stop inetd) then run inetd -d from
the command line. In another window attempt a telnet to your machine.
Watch to see if you get any messages in the window running inetd. You
should. If that works try your ftp command.

I suspect that inetd is not running as a service. Do you have two (yes
two, count 'em) inetd processes showing up in the TaskMgr?

Have you added Cygwin's bin to the Windows SYSTEM Environment Variable
PATH? Have you rebooted?

* Re: Trouble with inetd (start but doesn't work)
@ 2002-04-18 17:10 ` Andrew DeFaria
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-04-18 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Auricom wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is my configuration:
>
> Win2K Server Version 5.00.2195 (no pack applied)
> Cygwin 1.3.10
>
> The problem is inetd start but I can't telnet or ftp into my computer.
> The answer is "connection refused" when I try to connect to localhost
> or from the net...
>
> When I use ncftp, I have this message:
>
> Administrateur@AURICOM : ncftp localhost
> NcFTP 3.1.3 (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason (ncftp@ncftp.com).
> Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: The socket is not connected.
> Could not open host localhost: could not connect to remote host.
>
> We can see that the socket is not connected, but I can't find a
> solution to solve this issue.

I suspect that inetd is not running as a service. Do you have two (yes
two, count 'em) inetd processes showing up in the TaskMgr?

Have you added Cygwin's bin to the Windows SYSTEM Environment Variable
PATH? Have you rebooted?

* Re: Trouble with inetd (start but doesn't work)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-04-18 17:20 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-04-18 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Auricom wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is my configuration:
>
> Win2K Server Version 5.00.2195 (no pack applied)
> Cygwin 1.3.10
>
> The problem is inetd start but I can't telnet or ftp into my computer.
> The answer is "connection refused" when I try to connect to localhost
> or from the net...
>
> When I use ncftp, I have this message:
>
> Administrateur@AURICOM : ncftp localhost
> NcFTP 3.1.3 (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason (ncftp@ncftp.com).
> Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: The socket is not connected.
> Could not open host localhost: could not connect to remote host.
>
> We can see that the socket is not connected, but I can't find a
> solution to solve this issue.
>
> Is there a workaround ???

Try stopping the inetd server (net stop inetd) then run inetd -d from
the command line. In another window attempt a telnet to your machine.
Watch to see if you get any messages in the window running inetd. You
should. If that works try your ftp command.

I suspect that inetd is not running as a service. Do you have two (yes
two, count 'em) inetd processes showing up in the TaskMgr?

Have you added Cygwin's bin to the Windows SYSTEM Environment Variable
PATH? Have you rebooted?

* Re: Trouble with inetd (start but doesn't work)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-04-18 17:50 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-04-18 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Auricom wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is my configuration:
>
> Win2K Server Version 5.00.2195 (no pack applied)
> Cygwin 1.3.10
>
> The problem is inetd start but I can't telnet or ftp into my computer.
> The answer is "connection refused" when I try to connect to localhost
> or from the net...
>
> When I use ncftp, I have this message:
>
> Administrateur@AURICOM : ncftp localhost
> NcFTP 3.1.3 (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason (ncftp@ncftp.com).
> Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: The socket is not connected.
> Could not open host localhost: could not connect to remote host.
>
> We can see that the socket is not connected, but I can't find a
> solution to solve this issue.
>
> Is there a workaround ???

Try stopping the inetd server (net stop inetd) then run inetd -d from
the command line. In another window attempt a telnet to your machine.
Watch to see if you get any messages in the window running inetd. You
should. If that works try your ftp command.

I suspect that inetd is not running as a service. Do you have two (yes
two, count 'em) inetd processes showing up in the TaskMgr?

Have you added Cygwin's bin to the Windows SYSTEM Environment Variable
PATH? Have you rebooted?

* Re: Trouble with inetd (start but doesn't work)
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-04-18 17:50 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-04-18 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-04-19  1:00   ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-04-19  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Oops! Server problems. Sorry for the multiple post.

@ 2002-04-18  5:58 Auricom