* RE: Why did you guys break  EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-19 20:02 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-04-19 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Schwartz, Barry, Chris Ellsworth, cygwin

The cygnus stuff goes into c:\cygwin\bin aka /usr/bin, not
/usr/local/bin. Are you sure you installed Cygwin via setup.exe, not
from some other site?

As for the tools, by and large they all support d:\foo syntax as well -
but remember, if you run them within bash, the \ becomes an escape
character, so you need d:\\foo for the tool to see the backslash.

Rob

* Re: Why did you guys break  EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-19 20:30 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-19 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin

>>Also, the semantics and output of "which", "ls", and "cp"
>>have changed too in my opinion, not the least of which is the
>>fau root directory and all the cygnus stuff being in
>>"/usr/local/bin" which is not a real directory on my machine.
>>

> The cygnus stuff goes into c:\cygwin\bin aka /usr/bin, not
> /usr/local/bin. Are you sure you installed Cygwin via setup.exe, not
> from some other site?

I'm curious to know exactly how OLD is the version of cygwin that
"worked" for you, Barry?  I mean, the 'mount' convention has been around
since StoneHenge or longer -- that is, using a mount table to create a
mapping between multi-rooted windows paths (A:\this, C:\that) and a
single-rooted unixlike path structure (/ == root, but /cygdrive/a/this =
A:\this, etc.  Note that /cygdrive/X/ = X:\ is handled automagically by
cygwin -- and the old mechanism (//X/ = X:\) doesn't work anymore
because it's too similar to the way you access remote windows shares
(//computer/share/file  :  what if you have a computer named 'X'?)

> As for the tools, by and large they all support d:\foo syntax as well -
> but remember, if you run them within bash, the \ becomes an escape
> character, so you need d:\\foo for the tool to see the backslash.

Although those programs that use ':' as a delimiter in their filespec
arguments may be a little confused -- but most of the tools I am talking
about are fairly new compared to stonehenge, so I doubt they 'broke' on
your system; your ancient installation just didn't HAVE an scp program...

scp A:\\boblocal remotecomp:fred

scp MAY be confused by this:
   1) copy file /boblocal on computer 'A' to file ~/fred on computer
'remotecomp'?  scp can't do 3rd party transfers.
   2) copy local file boblocal on local disk A:\ to file ~/fred on
computer remotecomp?  Sure, no problem...

I'm not sure which interpretation scp will use.

Oh -- and one more tip:  In windows (cmd.exe/command.com, etc) the
following is a perfectly valid pathspec:
   A:/fred/george
I've gotten into the habit of always using forward slashes -- in both
command.com and in bash, so I don't have to worry about the 'oh yeah in
bash you need to double up the backslashes' problem.

--Chuck

* Re: Why did you guys break  EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-19 20:53   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-19 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Oh -- and one more tip:  In windows (cmd.exe/command.com, etc) the
> following is a perfectly valid pathspec:
>   A:/fred/george
> I've gotten into the habit of always using forward slashes -- in both
> command.com and in bash, so I don't have to worry about the 'oh yeah in
> bash you need to double up the backslashes' problem.

Oops -- misinformation alert.  A:/fred/george works in windows GUI file
dialogs; it DOESN'T work in cmd.exe.  (I use 'raw' cmd.exe so rarely
anymore, I somehow conflated "windows GUI file dialogs" with cmd.exe.
sorry)

--Chuck

* Re: Why did you guys break EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-23  3:33       ` Daan Hoogland
From: Daan Hoogland @ 2002-04-23  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Sorry for that last one,

I ment to say thanx for the tip (of the day).

    Corinna> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 09:14:14AM +0200, Daan Hoogland wrote:
    >> Now that you guys don't remember the subject anymore anyway;...

    Larry> LOL!
    >>
    Larry> You know, that classic line came to my mind immediately on reading the
    Larry> original post! ;-)
    >>
    >> Thing like that yes, yourhonours. But what does LOL mean? (it's dutch
    >> for fun, so i'm quite surprised to have read it in this sea of fire/flame-war/flame-fare;-)

    Corinna>  Laughing Out Loud

    Corinna> Tip of the day: http://www.acronymfinder.com

    Corinna> Corinna

    Corinna> --
    Corinna> Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
    Corinna> Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
    Corinna> Red Hat, Inc.

    Corinna> --

:wq!

Daan Hoogland                      Unix consultants      v   v
dhoogland@snow.nl                     OO developers       \ /
                                 ###   ##    ##  #     >---X---<
http://snow.nl                  #     #  #  #  # #  #  #  / \
Snow B.V.                        ##   #  #  #  # #  #  # ^   ^
Tel. (+31)30-6051501               #  #  #  #  # #  #  #
Fax. (+31)30-6037445            ###   #  #   ##   ## ##

* Re: Why did you guys break EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-23  2:43       ` Daan Hoogland
From: Daan Hoogland @ 2002-04-23  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

    Corinna> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 09:14:14AM +0200, Daan Hoogland wrote:
    >> Now that you guys don't remember the subject anymore anyway;...

    Larry> LOL!
    >>
    Larry> You know, that classic line came to my mind immediately on reading the
    Larry> original post! ;-)
    >>
    >> Thing like that yes, yourhonours. But what does LOL mean? (it's dutch
    >> for fun, so i'm quite surprised to have read it in this sea of fire/flame-war/flame-fare;-)

    Corinna>  Laughing Out Loud

    Corinna> Tip of the day: http://www.acronymfinder.com
wdygbe

@ 2002-04-23  1:57     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-04-23  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-04-23  0:17   ` Daan Hoogland
From: Daan Hoogland @ 2002-04-23  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: Joshua Daniel Franklin, cygwin

@ 2002-04-22 23:06     ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-04-22 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
> > BTW, did it occur to anyone that the rapid and multiple responses to
> > this email -- which, given its tone and lack of specific content
> > qualifies as a troll by any objective measure -- serve to ENCOURAGE
> > this sort of insistent, badgering, and rude behavior?
>
> Yeah, this is weird.  People ask polite questions and get slapped with
> "*eye roll* it's free software newbie, read the FAQ" ... this guy asks
> *this* and people rush to his assistance.

It's the time-honored "Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease" effect.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* RE: Why did you guys break  EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-22 15:32 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-04-22 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brucewms; +Cc: cygwin

Mine is installed on F:. C: is not a requirement.

Rob

* RE: Why did you guys break  EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-22 13:26 Heribert Dahms
From: Heribert Dahms @ 2002-04-22 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael A Chase', cygwin

No, cgf isn't always mean!
Psst, I'll tell you a secret: The default of mean or not toggles
with every even/odd release, modulo phase of the moon 8-)

Bye, Heribert (heribert_dahms@icon-scm.com)

@ 2002-04-22  9:53         ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-04-22  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Christopher Faylor

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:55:25 -0400 Christopher Faylor <cgf-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 10:34:28AM -0400, Scott Evans wrote:
> >Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
> >>BTW, did it occur to anyone that the rapid and multiple responses to
> >>this email -- which, given its tone and lack of specific content
> >>qualifies as a troll by any objective measure -- serve to ENCOURAGE
> >>this sort of insistent, badgering, and rude behavior?
> >
> >Yeah, this is weird.  People ask polite questions and get slapped with
> >"*eye roll* it's free software newbie, read the FAQ" ...  this guy asks
> >*this* and people rush to his assistance.
>
> It's basically because we're not mean.
>
> No, wait.  That can't be right.

_We_ aren't mean, just you. :}b
--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.htm

* Re: Why did you guys break  EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-22  9:44       ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-04-22  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Christopher Faylor

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:55:25 -0400 Christopher Faylor <cgf-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 10:34:28AM -0400, Scott Evans wrote:
> >Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
> >>BTW, did it occur to anyone that the rapid and multiple responses to
> >>this email -- which, given its tone and lack of specific content
> >>qualifies as a troll by any objective measure -- serve to ENCOURAGE
> >>this sort of insistent, badgering, and rude behavior?
> >
> >Yeah, this is weird.  People ask polite questions and get slapped with
> >"*eye roll* it's free software newbie, read the FAQ" ...  this guy asks
> >*this* and people rush to his assistance.
>
> It's basically because we're not mean.
>
> No, wait.  That can't be right.

_We_ aren't mean, just you. :}b
--

@ 2002-04-22  7:59     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-04-22  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 10:34:28AM -0400, Scott Evans wrote:
>Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
>>BTW, did it occur to anyone that the rapid and multiple responses to
>>this email -- which, given its tone and lack of specific content
>>qualifies as a troll by any objective measure -- serve to ENCOURAGE
>>this sort of insistent, badgering, and rude behavior?
>
>Yeah, this is weird.  People ask polite questions and get slapped with
>"*eye roll* it's free software newbie, read the FAQ" ...  this guy asks
>*this* and people rush to his assistance.

It's basically because we're not mean.

No, wait.  That can't be right.

cgf

* Re: Why did you guys break  EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-22  7:44   ` Scott Evans
From: Scott Evans @ 2002-04-22  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
> BTW, did it occur to anyone that the rapid and multiple responses to
> this email -- which, given its tone and lack of specific content
> qualifies as a troll by any objective measure -- serve to ENCOURAGE
> this sort of insistent, badgering, and rude behavior?

Yeah, this is weird.  People ask polite questions and get slapped with
"*eye roll* it's free software newbie, read the FAQ" ... this guy asks
*this* and people rush to his assistance.

--
 scott evans :: www.antisleep.com

* Re: Why did you guys break EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-20 14:28 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-04-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Daniel Franklin, cygwin

@ 2002-04-20 10:51 Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2002-04-20 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-04-19 20:38 ` wayne
From: wayne @ 2002-04-19 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well Barry for what it is worth I think the more cygwin becomes
like unix the better.  After all it is a product designed to
make windows work more like unix and ease porting of unix code
to windows.  As for the backward paths delimiters and drive letters
they will make your code unable to run on unix if you want your
code portable you need to not use them.
As for /usr/local/bin that is very useful I can have my program
put something in /usr/local/bin and it will work wither or not
the OS is windows, AIX, Solaris FreeBSD or Linux.  In other words
I can write the script once and never change it... provided I
don't add things like c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc.  If I do that
then my code will not work on anything but winnt.

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 07:29:46PM -0700, Schwartz, Barry wrote:
> OK.  Feeling better now... If one of my customers wrote me that with no
> examples, I'd get a kick out of it too.
> So...
> rsh must have changed.  I use it in a script to move perforce clients around
> from NT to UNIX.
> The attached script, getfull.pl is the example that failed with the new program
> and worked with the old.
>
> Also, the semantics and output of "which", "ls", and "cp" have changed too in my
> opinion, not the least of which is the fau root directory and all the cygnus
> stuff being in "/usr/local/bin" which is not a real directory on my machine.  I
> would much rather see the native paths.  That is definately what the old code
> did and what my scripts expect.
>
> I definately do not need you guys to fix my scripts or show me how the programs
> work.  I can handle that.  It's just that it's not how I really want to spend a
> half a work day when I have other stuff to do.  I'm also a little embarrassed
> since I raved about your tools and made another group adopt them for an
> upcomming project.  Now, when they try to run my scripts, they will crap out...
>
> I'll probably have to fix them since you won't be supporting the old stuff and I
> need some of the tools only available in the new release.
>
> Although I need to tone down...  I really do "feel" the unixisms creeping in.  I
> like the semantics of the unix commands and the familiarity since I work on both
> platforms.  But, on a windows box (my main sqeeze) I expect paths and file
> locations to take the windows form.  Just my opinion...
>
> Thanks for getting back to me by the way.
>
> barry

Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...
Wayne Willcox                          I will not eat green eggs and ham
wayne@reliant.immure.com                     I will not eat them Sam I Am!!
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
                -- Chinese proverb

* Re: Why did you guys break  EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-19 20:36 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-19 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-04-19 19:35 Schwartz, Barry
From: Schwartz, Barry @ 2002-04-19 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Chris Ellsworth', Schwartz, Barry, cygwin

       [not found] <6440EA1A6AA1D5118C6900902745938E0514F1DE@black.eng.netapp. com>
@ 2002-04-19 18:59 ` Roland Glenn McIntosh
From: Roland Glenn McIntosh @ 2002-04-19 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well Barry, I understand you're pissed off, but the changes were made for logical reasons.  I'm sure that a quick skim of the FAQ would answer most of your questions.

And /usr/local/bin is in /usr/local/bin on a windows box, as long as you're running a cygwin shell.  Otherwise it's *probably* in C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin  - that's pretty straightforward.  It's worth noting that the windows "find" command can help you locate other things on your computer (like all folders named X11, for example, or all executables named "ls").

If you have specific complains about behaviour in 1.3.10 I'm sure the list could explain why things are done the way they are currently.  I personally find it both useful and largely intuitive.

Also - your scripts call routines?  You mean like, programs?  Sounds like you might want to read the documentation for cygpath too.  The directory change command is "cd" and check your mount table.

-rgm

@ 2002-04-19 18:38 ` Elizabeth Barham
From: Elizabeth Barham @ 2002-04-19 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

We're here to help you Barry.

Elizabeth

* Re: Why did you guys break  EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-19 17:00 ` Chris Ellsworth

@ 2002-04-19 16:23 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-04-19 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Schwartz, Barry, cygwin

Without ANY example of what you are calling, there is NO way that
assistance can be provided.

Rob

* Why did you guys break  EVERYTHING...
@ 2002-04-19 16:06 Schwartz, Barry