* Re: patch(1) (Win32) and path separators
@ 2002-11-19 11:13 Parish
From: Parish @ 2002-11-19 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19/11/2002 18:14 Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) stood on a soap-box
and preached to the unwashed masses:

> At 01:10 PM 11/19/2002, Parish wrote:
>>patch(1) on Win32 seems to insist on '\' rather than '/' in the paths in diffs. This is somewhat at odds with diff(1) which uses '/', even on Windows.
>>
>>According to the manpage there is no option to change this behaviour.
>>
>>I have d/l the sources but have yet to build it (am I correct that it needs gcc to build, i.e. won't build with MSVC++?) with the intention of making my own version that works with '/'.
>>
>>Can anyone confirm that there isn't an undocumented option (cmd line or build) to make it use '/'? If there isn't, why is it that the Windows version works this way, especially when diff(1) DTRT?
>

> What patch are you using?  The Cygwin version works fine with '/'.  I have
> to assume that since you mention the "Windows version" that your talking

No, the one installed by the cygwin setup program:

marder-1:/cygdrive/e/mozilla_src/mozilla{13}$ patch --version
patch 2.5
Copyright 1988 Larry Wall

This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute copies of this program
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

written by Larry Wall with lots o' patches by Paul Eggert
marder-1:/cygdrive/e/mozilla_src/mozilla{14}$

This is what happens when I run it:

marder-1:/cygdrive/e/mozilla_src/mozilla{12}$ patch --dry-run <
../nsNativeAppSupportGtk.diff
Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|===================================================================
|RCS file: /cvsroot/mozilla/xpfe/bootstrap/nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp,v
|retrieving revision 1.9
|diff -u -r1.9 nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp
|--- xpfe/bootstrap/nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp   29 Aug 2002 03:04:36
-00001.9
|+++ xpfe/bootstrap/nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp   17 Nov 2002 22:06:07 -0000
--------------------------
File to patch:

The file, nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp exists:

marder-1:/cygdrive/e/mozilla_src/mozilla{14}$ ls -l
xpfe/bootstrap/nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp
-rwx------    1 marko    None         3624 Nov 17 22:11
xpfe/bootstrap/nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp
marder-1:/cygdrive/e/mozilla_src/mozilla{15}$

@ 2002-11-19 11:15 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-11-19 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parish; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Parish wrote:

> On 19/11/2002 18:14 Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) stood on a soap-box
> and preached to the unwashed masses:
>
> > At 01:10 PM 11/19/2002, Parish wrote:
> >>patch(1) on Win32 seems to insist on '\' rather than '/' in the paths in diffs. This is somewhat at odds with diff(1) which uses '/', even on Windows.
> >>
> >>According to the manpage there is no option to change this behaviour.
> >>
> >>I have d/l the sources but have yet to build it (am I correct that it needs gcc to build, i.e. won't build with MSVC++?) with the intention of making my own version that works with '/'.
> >>
> >>Can anyone confirm that there isn't an undocumented option (cmd line or build) to make it use '/'? If there isn't, why is it that the Windows version works this way, especially when diff(1) DTRT?
> >

> > What patch are you using?  The Cygwin version works fine with '/'.  I have
> > to assume that since you mention the "Windows version" that your talking
>
> No, the one installed by the cygwin setup program:
>
> marder-1:/cygdrive/e/mozilla_src/mozilla{13}$ patch --version
> patch 2.5
> Copyright 1988 Larry Wall
>
> This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
> You may redistribute copies of this program
> under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
> For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
>
> written by Larry Wall with lots o' patches by Paul Eggert
> marder-1:/cygdrive/e/mozilla_src/mozilla{14}$
>
> This is what happens when I run it:
>
> marder-1:/cygdrive/e/mozilla_src/mozilla{12}$ patch --dry-run <
> ../nsNativeAppSupportGtk.diff
> can't find file to patch at input line 8
> Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
> The text leading up to this was:
> --------------------------
> |Index: xpfe/bootstrap/nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp
> |===================================================================
> |RCS file: /cvsroot/mozilla/xpfe/bootstrap/nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp,v
> |retrieving revision 1.9
> |diff -u -r1.9 nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp
> |--- xpfe/bootstrap/nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp   29 Aug 2002 03:04:36
> -00001.9
> |+++ xpfe/bootstrap/nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp   17 Nov 2002 22:06:07 -0000
> --------------------------
> File to patch:
>
> The file, nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp exists:
>
> marder-1:/cygdrive/e/mozilla_src/mozilla{14}$ ls -l
> xpfe/bootstrap/nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp
> -rwx------    1 marko    None         3624 Nov 17 22:11
> xpfe/bootstrap/nsNativeAppSupportGtk.cpp
> marder-1:/cygdrive/e/mozilla_src/mozilla{15}$
>
> > about a native port and not the patch that's available through Cygwin.
> > If that's a proper assumption, you don't have the right forum to discuss the
> > Windows native version of patch.  This list discusses Cygwin-related issues
> > only.
> >
> > Sorry,
> >
> > Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com

Try 'patch -p0 --dry-run < filename'.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51

* Re: patch(1) (Win32) and path separators
@ 2002-11-19 11:20   ` Parish
From: Parish @ 2002-11-19 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19/11/2002 18:50 Igor Pechtchanski stood on a soap-box and preached
to the unwashed masses:

> Try 'patch -p0 --dry-run < filename'.

That did it. Thanks Igor :-)

I'd always assumed that without -p patch obeyed the path in the diff and
that -p was only needed if, for example, the path in the diff was
absolute and you needed a relative one. I didn't read all of the -p
section in the manpage because it didn't seem to be what I needed, but
/now/ I've read the last paragraph.

Previously I'd been editing the diffs to replace '/' with '\' so it
worked; I guess what was happening was that patch was interpreting the
whole string a filename but the shell, or the system calls patch uses,
were interpreting the '\' as path separators and therefore it worked?

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Parish (who's going to make 'patch' an alias for 'patch -p0' ;-) )

@ 2002-11-22 12:59     ` Soren A
From: Soren A @ 2002-11-22 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Parish <parish@ntlworld.com> wrote around 19 Nov 2002

>> Try 'patch -p0 --dry-run < filename'.
>
> That did it. Thanks Igor :-)
>
> I'd always assumed that without -p patch obeyed the path in the diff and
> that -p was only needed if, for example, the path in the diff was
> absolute and you needed a relative one. I didn't read all of the -p
> section in the manpage because it didn't seem to be what I needed, but
> /now/ I've read the last paragraph.

I don't always use a tool like patch frequently enough to remember such
subtleties, myself. This was a helpful exchange because I was struggling
with this just yesterday.

{snippo}
> Thanks again for the help.

Yes, thanks!

> Regards,
>
> Parish (who's going to make 'patch' an alias for 'patch -p0' ;-) )

Me too ;-)

  Soren A

--
Yes, it's really Sören, not Soren.

* Re: patch(1) (Win32) and path separators
@ 2002-11-19 13:31   ` Parish
From: Parish @ 2002-11-19 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19/11/2002 18:14 Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) stood on a soap-box
and preached to the unwashed masses:

> I have to assume that since you mention the "Windows version"
> that your talking about a native port and not the patch that's
> available through Cygwin.

Duh! I'm more used to posting in Mozilla NGs and got into the habit of
mentioning the platform, since Moz is multi-platform. A bit irrelevant
for cygwin lists, eh?

Regards,

Parish

* Re: patch(1) (Win32) and path separators
@ 2002-11-19 10:50 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-11-19 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parish, cygwin

@ 2002-11-19 10:47 Parish
From: Parish @ 2002-11-19 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

patch(1) on Win32 seems to insist on '\' rather than '/' in the paths in
diffs. This is somewhat at odds with diff(1) which uses '/', even on
Windows.

According to the manpage there is no option to change this behaviour.

I have d/l the sources but have yet to build it (am I correct that it
needs gcc to build, i.e. won't build with MSVC++?) with the intention of
making my own version that works with '/'.

Can anyone confirm that there isn't an undocumented option (cmd line or
build) to make it use '/'? If there isn't, why is it that the Windows
version works this way, especially when diff(1) DTRT?

Thanks.

Regards,

Parish