* lost of admin right
@ 2021-12-14 13:32 Valerio Messina
From: Valerio Messina @ 2021-12-14 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hi,
I have a company PC where I was admin and installed Cygwin in a non
supported path:
D:\Program Files (x86)\cygwin64
/cygdrive/d/Program Files (x86)/cygwin64
and worked like a sharm for years, with a quite complex env.

Now admin right was revoked to me, and the update via setup.exe cannot
proceed.
I can ask to the company admin to update the distribution every time,
but this is impractical.

1) Do you know if re-installing to supported path something like:
D:\ProgramFiles\cygwin64
/cygdrive/d/ProgramFiles/cygwin64
let me update the distro without admin right?

I made a backup of the about 800 installed packages with:
$ cygcheck -c -d | cut -d' ' -f1 | tail -n+3 > installedPackages2021-12.txt
I never tryed to restore the backup with:
$ setup -M -P package1,package2, ...

2) Someone know if that work well ?

thank you,
--
Valerio

* Re: lost of admin right
@ 2021-12-14 14:09 ` Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan
From: Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan @ 2021-12-14 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Valerio,

Have you tried using the "-B" command line option when running
setup-x86_64.exe ?

Thank you.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 9:33 PM Valerio Messina via Cygwin <
cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> hi,
> I have a company PC where I was admin and installed Cygwin in a non
> supported path:
> D:\Program Files (x86)\cygwin64
> /cygdrive/d/Program Files (x86)/cygwin64
> and worked like a sharm for years, with a quite complex env.
>
> Now admin right was revoked to me, and the update via setup.exe cannot
> proceed.
> I can ask to the company admin to update the distribution every time,
> but this is impractical.
>
> 1) Do you know if re-installing to supported path something like:
> D:\ProgramFiles\cygwin64
> /cygdrive/d/ProgramFiles/cygwin64
> let me update the distro without admin right?
>
> I made a backup of the about 800 installed packages with:
> $ cygcheck -c -d | cut -d' ' -f1 | tail -n+3 > installedPackages2021-12.txt
> I never tryed to restore the backup with:
> $ setup -M -P package1,package2, ...
>
> 2) Someone know if that work well ?
>
> thank you,
> --
> Valerio
>
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan

* RE: lost of admin right
@ 2021-12-14 16:47   ` david
From: david @ 2021-12-14 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

You need --no-admin option to setup if you don't have administrative
privileges, if that's all you're after.

If you are asking how to modify/update your existing installation that was
installed as administrator, that might be impossible, if you no longer have
privileges there.

Regards,
David

@ 2021-12-14 17:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2021-12-14 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valerio Messina via Cygwin, cygwin

Greetings, Valerio Messina via Cygwin!

> I have a company PC where I was admin and installed Cygwin in a non
> supported path:
> D:\Program Files (x86)\cygwin64
> /cygdrive/d/Program Files (x86)/cygwin64
> and worked like a sharm for years, with a quite complex env.

> Now admin right was revoked to me, and the update via setup.exe cannot
> proceed.
> I can ask to the company admin to update the distribution every time,
> but this is impractical.

Ask your administrator to move entire installation to a less guarded directory
(s.a. C:\Cygwin64 ) and assign you write permissions to the tree.
Then use `setup.exe --no-admin` switch to upgrade your installation (specify
correct path of a new installation's location).

> 1) Do you know if re-installing to supported path something like:
> D:\ProgramFiles\cygwin64
> /cygdrive/d/ProgramFiles/cygwin64
> let me update the distro without admin right?

Could just move entire directory. Safe within the same working environment.

> I made a backup of the about 800 installed packages with:
> $ cygcheck -c -d | cut -d' ' -f1 | tail -n+3 > installedPackages2021-12.txt
> I never tryed to restore the backup with:
> $ setup -M -P package1,package2, ...

> 2) Someone know if that work well ?

With some obvious reservations, the most simple solution will work just fine.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: lost of admin right
@ 2022-01-17 14:12     ` Valerio Messina
From: Valerio Messina @ 2022-01-17 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,
the simple add of -B (--no-admin) work, also keeping the installation to
the previous path.

Update work, and shell start as always.
Even the update from 3.2.0 to 3.3.3 work, for both 64 and 32 installations.

Thank you,
Valerio

--
Valerio