* Cygwin Java Make separator (slash) mapping
@ 2001-04-02 16:08 Tom Starr
From: Tom Starr @ 2001-04-02 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

In Cygwin 1.1.8-2 /bin/sh, compiles with Java 1.2.2 have problems resolving
directories across disk drives and shares (for classpath, sourcepath or
destination path).

Similarly, GNU Make 3.79.1 Java compile child processes substitute
backslashes and get Can't read: errors on files make successfully found and
passed to them.

This happens even after make successfully uses "cygpath" to correctly echo
/cygdrive/j/ using the make rule:

  VPATH = shell cygpath -u /cygdrive/j

It happens using Cygwin C:/ and /cygdrive/c/ and /c/ after mkdir /c ; mount
c:/ /c

This happens both with Cygwin MAKE_MODE set to unix or win32.

In most but not all of the test cases, the drives have been full control
shares...

This cygwin link has some good information:
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC42 and more:
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#USING-PATHNAMES , but not
enough yet...

There must be information on this (I should post to a Java list), even if
there is no helping it, so Thanks in advance!!!

> Want to unsubscribe from this list?

* Re: Cygwin Java Make separator (slash) mapping
@ 2001-04-02 16:36 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-04-02 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Starr, cygwin

At 07:08 PM 4/2/2001, Tom Starr wrote:
>In Cygwin 1.1.8-2 /bin/sh, compiles with Java 1.2.2 have problems resolving
>directories across disk drives and shares (for classpath, sourcepath or
>destination path).
>
>Similarly, GNU Make 3.79.1 Java compile child processes substitute
>backslashes and get Can't read: errors on files make successfully found and
>passed to them.
>
>This happens even after make successfully uses "cygpath" to correctly echo
>/cygdrive/j/ using the make rule:
>
>   VPATH = shell cygpath -u /cygdrive/j
>
>It happens using Cygwin C:/ and /cygdrive/c/ and /c/ after mkdir /c ; mount
>c:/ /c
>
>This happens both with Cygwin MAKE_MODE set to unix or win32.
>
>In most but not all of the test cases, the drives have been full control
>shares...
>
>This cygwin link has some good information:
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC42 and more:
> http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#USING-PATHNAMES , but not
>enough yet...
>
>There must be information on this (I should post to a Java list), even if
>there is no helping it, so Thanks in advance!!!

Why are you trying to use /bin/sh as your shell with Java?  Unless you've
somehow built a Cygwin version (did you?), it won't understand Cygwin mounts
paths.Try not setting your shell to /bin/sh and using MAKE_MODE win32.  Don't
use cygpath either (I think you used it wrong in the example above since I'm
guessing you wanted a Windows path?).