* Setup: How to automate source download for packages already installed?
@ 2020-03-02 18:06 Bill Stewart
From: Bill Stewart @ 2020-03-02 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I would like to reinstall a set of packages and automatically install the
source for only those packages.

The packages are currently installed, and I am using a Setup command line
like this:

<setup> -I -P "package1,package2,package3"

The description in --help for -I states "Automatically install source for
every package installed".

It would seem that, in this case, since the named packages are already
installed and up-to-date, the -I option does nothing.

Is my analysis correct?

If so, what is the way to automate source download for a set of packages
that are already installed?

Bill

* Re: Setup: How to automate source download for packages already installed?
@ 2020-03-04 15:16 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2020-03-04 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/03/2020 18:06, Bill Stewart wrote:
> I would like to reinstall a set of packages and automatically install the
> source for only those packages.
>
> The packages are currently installed, and I am using a Setup command line
> like this:
>
> <setup> -I -P "package1,package2,package3"
>
> The description in --help for -I states "Automatically install source for
> every package installed".
>
> It would seem that, in this case, since the named packages are already
> installed and up-to-date, the -I option does nothing.
>
> Is my analysis correct?

This is correct.

> If so, what is the way to automate source download for a set of packages
> that are already installed?

If a package is listed for both -x and -P, it is reinstalled, so while
not ideal, you might be able to achieve something like what you want
with 'setup -I -x "package1,package2,package3" -P
"package1,package2,package3"'

An option which explicitly just installs the source for a specified
package might be useful.

* Re: Setup: How to automate source download for packages already installed?
@ 2020-03-04 16:57   ` Bill Stewart
From: Bill Stewart @ 2020-03-04 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 6:32 AM Jon Turney wrote:

> If a package is listed for both -x and -P, it is reinstalled, so while
> not ideal, you might be able to achieve something like what you want
> with 'setup -I -x "package1,package2,package3" -P
> "package1,package2,package3"'

This does what I need. Thank you!

> An option which explicitly just installs the source for a specified
> package might be useful.

Agreed. Perhaps this could get added to a new iteration of the setup
tool. But combining -I, -x, and -P are a useful workaround.

Thanks!

@ 2023-03-27 20:18   ` Bill Stewart
From: Bill Stewart @ 2023-03-27 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 6:32 AM Jon Turney wrote:

> If a package is listed for both -x and -P, it is reinstalled, so while
> not ideal, you might be able to achieve something like what you want
> with 'setup -I -x "package1,package2,package3" -P
> "package1,package2,package3"'
>
> An option which explicitly just installs the source for a specified
> package might be useful.

It seems that

--local-install -x "package[,...]" -P "package[,...]"

...no longer works to automate source download for packages already
installed...

Is there another workaround? (Or did I miss something obvious?)

@ 2023-03-27 20:20     ` Bill Stewart
From: Bill Stewart @ 2023-03-27 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 2:18 PM Bill Stewart wrote:

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 6:32 AM Jon Turney wrote:

>> If a package is listed for both -x and -P, it is reinstalled, so while
>> not ideal, you might be able to achieve something like what you want
>> with 'setup -I -x "package1,package2,package3" -P
>> "package1,package2,package3"'
>>
>> An option which explicitly just installs the source for a specified
>> package might be useful.
>>

> It seems that
>
> --local-install -x "package[,...]" -P "package[,...]"
>
> ...no longer works to automate source download for packages already
> installed...
>
> Is there another workaround? (Or did I miss something obvious?)

(Correction: I meant to write '--local-package-dir', not '--local-install')

* Re: Setup: How to automate source download for packages already installed?
@ 2023-03-27 20:55     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-03-27 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27/03/2023 21:18, Bill Stewart via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 6:32 AM Jon Turney wrote:
>
>> If a package is listed for both -x and -P, it is reinstalled, so while
>> not ideal, you might be able to achieve something like what you want
>> with 'setup -I -x "package1,package2,package3" -P
>> "package1,package2,package3"'
>>
>> An option which explicitly just installs the source for a specified
>> package might be useful.
>>

> It seems that
>
> --local-install -x "package[,...]" -P "package[,...]"
>
> ...no longer works to automate source download for packages already
> installed...
>
> Is there another workaround? (Or did I miss something obvious?)

Sorry, based on the previous discussion at [1] this seems to be broken
at the moment, due to '-x' being broken.

[1] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2023-February/252994.html

If you really need this, please try old setup versions from [2].  If you
discover which version it got broken in, and/or work out how to fix it,
please let us know.

[2] https://cygwin.com/setup/

* Re: Setup: How to automate source download for packages already installed?
@ 2023-03-28 16:55       ` Bill Stewart
From: Bill Stewart @ 2023-03-28 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 2:55 PM Jon Turney wrote:

Sorry, based on the previous discussion at [1] this seems to be broken
> at the moment, due to '-x' being broken.
>
> [1] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2023-February/252994.html
>
> If you really need this, please try old setup versions from [2].  If you
> discover which version it got broken in, and/or work out how to fix it,
> please let us know.
>
> [2] https://cygwin.com/setup/

Completed testing. The last version where:

--include-source --local-package-dir "path" -x "package[,...]" -P
"package[,...]"

...worked was 2.918. It does not work in 2.919 and later.

@ 2023-04-14 15:32         ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-04-14 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28/03/2023 17:55, Bill Stewart via Cygwin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 2:55 PM Jon Turney wrote:
>
> Sorry, based on the previous discussion at [1] this seems to be broken
>> at the moment, due to '-x' being broken.
>>
>> [1] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2023-February/252994.html

I think I had messed up my testing here, and -x was actually working in
isolation, but there was a more complex problem which prevented
reinstalling a package from the command line working.

>> If you really need this, please try old setup versions from [2].  If you
>> discover which version it got broken in, and/or work out how to fix it,
>> please let us know.
>>
>> [2] https://cygwin.com/setup/
>>

> Completed testing. The last version where:
>
> --include-source --local-package-dir "path" -x "package[,...]" -P
> "package[,...]"
>
> ...worked was 2.918. It does not work in 2.919 and later.

Thanks very much, this was a big help in tracking down the change which
introduced this problem.

This should be resolved in the setup 2.926 RC.