* Re: File create problem
@ 2016-08-25 14:38 ` Tobias Zawada
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tobias Zawada @ 2016-08-25 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Rosin, cygwin

Hello Peter,

> Trying to create bash.exe (with any random content) by other means
> also fails.
>
> Creating other files in the C:\cygwin64\bin folder works just fine,
> e.g. C:\cygwin64\bin\bach.exe.
>
> There is no existing C:\cygwin64\bin\bash.exe that has permissions
> that can be examined, so the only permissions that can reasonably
> have any effect are those for the folder, but as stated, it is ok
> to create e.g. C:\cygwin64\bin\bach.exe which means that folder
> permissions appear to be ok.
>
> Renaming the existing C:\cygwin64 to C:\cygwin64old, and then
> trying to install a fresh copy in C:\cygwin64 gets the same
> permission error.
>
> Installing bash et al with the base in C:\cygwin65 works just fine.
>
> So, it appears that the name "C:\cygwin64\bin\bash.exe" (and a few
> others) is just special in some way.

This really looks like a problem with an antivirus program.
I had a similar issue ome time.
Might it be that bash.exe has been moved to some container of the anti-virus
program?

> I'm not part of any domain, and I'm on Windows 10. Rebooting
> doesn't help. Disabling AVG business edition doesn't help.

Often disabling does not help.
One has to prevent the starting of the anti virus program.

With best regards,
Tobias

* File create problem
@ 2016-08-25 14:38 Peter Rosin
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Peter Rosin @ 2016-08-25 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

I have the strangest of problems. Freshly downloaded setup-x86_64.exe
fails to create some files, e.g. bash.exe, with access denied. So, I
started digging.

[...]

What can cause this? Can there be some hidden link to a pending
remove? Any suggestions what I can try?

Cheers,
Peter

* Re: File create problem
@ 2016-08-25 14:38 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-08-25 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Rosin, cygwin

Greetings, Peter Rosin!

> AVG

Disabling is often not enough. If you have the ability, try doing the same in
a VM to eliminate the possible interference.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: File create problem
@ 2016-08-25 14:47   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-08-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/25/2016 10:18 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Peter Rosin!
>
>> AVG
>
> Disabling is often not enough. If you have the ability, try doing the same in
> a VM to eliminate the possible interference.

Here's another wondering: Is there a file/directory with the name "bash"
(no .exe)?  That could be a problem perhaps ...

EM

* Re: File create problem
@ 2016-08-25 14:55 ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2016-08-25 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Peter Rosin  wrote:
> Creating other files in the C:\cygwin64\bin folder works just fine,
> e.g. C:\cygwin64\bin\bach.exe.
>
> There is no existing C:\cygwin64\bin\bash.exe that has permissions
> that can be examined, so the only permissions that can reasonably
> have any effect are those for the folder, but as stated, it is ok
> to create e.g. C:\cygwin64\bin\bach.exe which means that folder
> permissions appear to be ok.

I suggest checking the anti-virus logs for blocking of 'pups'
(Potentially Unwanted Programs)

I have found many antivirus packages will explicitly block certain
patterns unless they are told in advance to exclude from blocking, and
even then will sometimes block.  The netcat binaries are blocked
particularly often...

Also, if you can, try installing in disposable VMs, one with and one
without the antivirus.  If you get the same results with the same
antivirus in the VM and it works fine in the VM without the antivirus,
you've confirmed it is definitely the antivirus even if the antivirus
does not log that it is doing so.

-- Erik

* Re: File create problem
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-08-25 16:14 ` Peter Rosin
From: Peter Rosin @ 2016-08-25 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi again!

Ok, I "solved it" by reinstalling AVG. No idea why that helped...

Buggy PoS.

Cheers,
Peter