* cygwin cross-compiler on linux host
@ 2017-05-27 18:25 Michele
From: Michele @ 2017-05-27 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm running Linux Debian as host and i would like to create a cross-compiler like mingw that uses cygwin.dll as libc, so I can compile software with POSIX support such as bash..is this possible?

* Re: cygwin cross-compiler on linux host
@ 2017-05-27 18:31 ` Michele
From: Michele @ 2017-05-27 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Il 27 maggio 2017 20:22:46 CEST, Michele <michele.bucca@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>I'm running Linux Debian as host and i would like to create a
>cross-compiler like mingw that uses cygwin.dll as libc, so I can
>compile software with POSIX support such as bash..is this possible?

the target of course is a WINDOWS (XP) system.

* Re: cygwin cross-compiler on linux host
@ 2017-05-27 21:23   ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2017-05-27 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Michele <michele.bucca@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I'm running Linux Debian as host and i would like to create a
>>cross-compiler like mingw that uses cygwin.dll as libc, so I can
>>compile software with POSIX support such as bash..is this possible?
>
> the target of course is a WINDOWS (XP) system.

cygwin no longer supports windows XP; see https://cygwin.com/

* Re: cygwin cross-compiler on linux host
@ 2017-05-28 15:13   ` Michele
From: Michele @ 2017-05-28 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Il 27 maggio 2017 20:25:45 CEST, Michele <michele.bucca@gmail.com> ha scritto:

>Il 27 maggio 2017 20:22:46 CEST, Michele <michele.bucca@gmail.com> ha
>scritto:
>>I'm running Linux Debian as host and i would like to create a
>>cross-compiler like mingw that uses cygwin.dll as libc, so I can
>>compile software with POSIX support such as bash..is this possible?
>
>the target of course is a WINDOWS (XP) system.

I know Windows XP it is now unsupported by cygwin and I apoligize for making such a question, but let's suppose I want to make a cross-compiler targeting a newer supported version of windows what should i do? Let's remember that I'm using Debian as host and the Windows system is the target :)

* Re: cygwin cross-compiler on linux host
@ 2017-05-28 15:47     ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2017-05-28 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 6:46 AM, Michele <michele.bucca@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know Windows XP it is now unsupported by cygwin and I apoligize for making such a question, but let's suppose I want to make a cross-compiler targeting a newer supported version of windows what should i do? Let's remember that I'm using Debian as host and the Windows system is the target :)

What's wrong with mingw/MSYS?   Debian supports cross-compiling using
that, and the shell it comes with is deployable to windows xp, I
think.
- Dan

* Re: cygwin cross-compiler on linux host
@ 2017-05-28 18:41       ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-05-28 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/28/2017 11:13 AM, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 6:46 AM, Michele <michele.bucca@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I know Windows XP it is now unsupported by cygwin and I apoligize for making such a question, but let's suppose I want to make a cross-compiler targeting a newer supported version of windows what should i do? Let's remember that I'm using Debian as host and the Windows system is the target :)
>
> What's wrong with mingw/MSYS?

MSYS is nothing more than Cygwin and has nothing to do with the answer.

> Debian supports cross-compiling using

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=debian+windows+cross+compile

Or if you want to target Cygwin

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=debian+cygwin+cross+compile

> that, and the shell it comes with is deployable to windows xp, I
> think.

As long as you use only the XP supported API.  Otherwise it isn't likely
to work either.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: cygwin cross-compiler on linux host
@ 2017-05-28 22:30     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2017-05-28 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/28/2017 9:46 AM, Michele wrote:

> Il 27 maggio 2017 20:25:45 CEST, Michele <michele.bucca@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>>

>> Il 27 maggio 2017 20:22:46 CEST, Michele <michele.bucca@gmail.com> ha
>> scritto:
>>> I'm running Linux Debian as host and i would like to create a
>>> cross-compiler like mingw that uses cygwin.dll as libc, so I can
>>> compile software with POSIX support such as bash..is this possible?
>>
>> the target of course is a WINDOWS (XP) system.
>
> I know Windows XP it is now unsupported by cygwin and I apoligize for making such a question, but let's suppose I want to make a cross-compiler targeting a newer supported version of windows what should i do? Let's remember that I'm using Debian as host and the Windows system is the target :)

I would start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_compiler#GCC_and_cross_compilation

Since gcc runs on cygwin, the gcc source includes support for cygwin as a target.
You will need to *build* gcc from source on your Debian platform, with cygwin as
the target.  (Note that there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of cygwin.)  As the
wikipedia page points out, you will need to build binutils from source as well,
again with cygwin as the target.

In principle this is straightforward, though of course in practice any number of
difficulties might arise ...

Regards - Eliot Moss

* Re: cygwin cross-compiler on linux host
@ 2017-05-29  5:23 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-05-29  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-05-27 12:22, Michele wrote:
> I'm running Linux Debian as host and i would like to create a
> cross-compiler like mingw that uses cygwin.dll as libc, so I can
> compile software with POSIX support such as bash..is this possible?
See links in