* Setup v2.879 - can not scroll package list
@ 2017-05-31 11:22 David Balažic
From: David Balažic @ 2017-05-31 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

In the "Select Packages" part of the installer dialog, I selected in
the "View" dropdown menu "Not Installed" and then tried to scroll thru
the list using the mouse wheel.

But it does not scroll the package list, instead it changes the
selection in the mentioned drop down menu. Even after clicking inside
the list control.

Apparently clicking in the package list does not move the focus to it.

It is the same in 32 bit and 64 bit version.

Regards,
David

* Re: Setup v2.879 - can not scroll package list
@ 2017-05-31 18:45 ` Wayne Davison
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Wayne Davison @ 2017-05-31 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:48 AM, David Balažic wrote:
> it does not scroll the package list, instead it changes the selection
> in the mentioned drop down menu.

One thing you should be able to do to work around this is to go to the
mouse settings and enable the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover
over them" option. That allows you to scroll the list as long as your
mouse is pointing at it.

..wayne..

* Re: Setup v2.879 - can not scroll package list
@ 2017-05-31 20:20   ` Vlado
From: Vlado @ 2017-05-31 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 31.5.2017 17:04, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:48 AM, David Balažic wrote:
>> it does not scroll the package list, instead it changes the selection
>> in the mentioned drop down menu.
> One thing you should be able to do to work around this is to go to the
> mouse settings and enable the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover
> over them" option. That allows you to scroll the list as long as your
> mouse is pointing at it.

In fact, this workaround depends on concrete mouse driver. On my system
neither "HP Mouse Control center" nor "Mouse properties" in Control
panel have "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" option.

Only workaround I found is to move focus to Search box.

Another problem with package list is this: Package's new status is
changing by clicking only to "New" column with one exception. If status
is "Keep", it is changed to "Uninstall" after click (even accidental) to
any other column.

Perhaps someone more experienced than I will be so kind and make
corrections.
Thanks in advance.

Vlado

* Re: Setup v2.879 - can not scroll package list
@ 2017-05-31 21:07   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-05-31 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne Davison, cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 814 bytes --]

Greetings, Wayne Davison!

> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:48 AM, David Balažic wrote:
>> it does not scroll the package list, instead it changes the selection
>> in the mentioned drop down menu.

> One thing you should be able to do to work around this is to go to the
> mouse settings and enable the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover
> over them" option.

Where's that option?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...\0ТÒÐÐ¥\a&ö&ÆVÒ\a&W\x06÷'G3¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒ÷\a&ö&ÆV×2æ‡FÖÀФd\x15\x13¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöf\x17\x12ðФFö7VÖVçF\x17F–öã¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöFö72æ‡FÖÀÐ¥Vç7V'67&–&R\x06–æfó¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöÖÂò7Vç7V'67&–&R×6–×\x06ÆPРÐ

* Re: Setup v2.879 - can not scroll package list
@ 2017-06-02 14:17     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-06-02 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31/05/2017 21:18, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Wayne Davison!
>
>> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:48 AM, David Balažic wrote:
>>> it does not scroll the package list, instead it changes the selection
>>> in the mentioned drop down menu.
>
>> One thing you should be able to do to work around this is to go to the
>> mouse settings and enable the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover
>> over them" option.
>
> Where's that option?

I believe this option is new in Windows 10

Settings/Devices/Mouse & touchpad.

* Re: Setup v2.879 - can not scroll package list
@ 2017-06-02 14:19   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-06-02 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31/05/2017 16:04, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:48 AM, David Balažic wrote:
>> it does not scroll the package list, instead it changes the selection
>> in the mentioned drop down menu.
>
> One thing you should be able to do to work around this is to go to the
> mouse settings and enable the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover
> over them" option. That allows you to scroll the list as long as your
> mouse is pointing at it.

Ah, thanks very much for pointing that out.  I can reproduce this with
that setting turned off.

* Re: Setup v2.879 - can not scroll package list
@ 2017-06-02 15:50       ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2017-06-02 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 7:17 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
> I believe this [scrolling] option is new in Windows 10

That does indeed seem to be the case. There are also some tools you
can use on prior Windows versions. For instance, search the web for "5
Tools to Scroll or Move Background Windows" and you'll find a nice
assortment to choose from.

..wayne..

* Re: Setup v2.879 - can not scroll package list
@ 2017-06-02 16:55         ` Vlado
From: Vlado @ 2017-06-02 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2.6.2017 17:49, Wayne Davison wrote:
> There are also some tools you
> can use on prior Windows versions. For instance, search the web for

I still hope somebody will fix the bug. :-)

Vlado

* Re: Setup v2.879 - can not scroll package list
@ 2017-06-03 11:53     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-06-03 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31/05/2017 21:15, Vlado wrote:
> Another problem with package list is this: Package's new status is
> changing by clicking only to "New" column with one exception. If status
> is "Keep", it is changed to "Uninstall" after click (even accidental) to
> any other column.
>
> Perhaps someone more experienced than I will be so kind and make
> corrections.
> Thanks in advance.

Thanks for pointing this out.  This looks like a bug which has been
around for a long time, but should be straightforward to fix.

* Re: Setup v2.879 - can not scroll package list
@ 2017-06-03 12:05           ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-06-03 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/06/2017 17:55, Vlado wrote:
> On 2.6.2017 17:49, Wayne Davison wrote:
>> There are also some tools you
>> can use on prior Windows versions. For instance, search the web for
>
> I still hope somebody will fix the bug. :-)

Me too.  Oh wait... :S

After a bit more investigation, I'm not actually sure what is claimed to
be the bug is here.

On previous versions of Windows, we don't have the "Scroll inactive
windows when I hover over them" option, so we always get the behaviour
that when the focus is on the "View" drop-down list, scrolling the mouse
wheel moves up and down that list.

But surely this is right (if unhelpful), that's where the focus is,
after all...

(Up until 2.875, this was a button which cycled around the possible
views, rather than a drop-down list, so we didn't have this problem)

This unhelpfulness is compounded by the fact that clicking in the
package list does not move the focus to it (because we use some
home-grown monstrosity rather than a list control), so perhaps that is
what should be fixed?

* Re: Setup v2.879 - can not scroll package list
@ 2017-06-03 12:20             ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-06-03 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney, cygwin

Greetings, Jon Turney!

> This unhelpfulness is compounded by the fact that clicking in the
> package list does not move the focus to it (because we use some
> home-grown monstrosity rather than a list control), so perhaps that is
> what should be fixed?

I think so.
There's workaround to that for now, the list scrolls for me if a focus is in
search field.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2017-06-04 19:27             ` Vlado
From: Vlado @ 2017-06-04 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3.6.2017 14:05, Jon Turney wrote:
> After a bit more investigation, I'm not actually sure what is claimed
> to be the bug is here.

As for the scrolling of window content, the behavior of Windows
applications is not quite consistent.
Some always scrolls the window (control) that has focus, regardless of
cursor position. For example: Windows Explorer, CodeBlocks, or FileZilla.
Others scrolls the window above which the cursor is located, no matter
which control has the focus. For example: Firefox, Thunderbird, or Skype.
It seems to me more intuitive to scroll the window over which the cursor
is located, but someone else may prefer the first way.

The bug You mentioned is inconsistent package list behavior. The list
(which never has a focus) sometimes does not scroll and sometimes does
scrolls - depending on whether focus is on drop-down or Search.

The most comfortable (for users) solution would be to modify the package
list to accept the focus. The list could highlight the line the user is
working with, making package selection easier.

Probably the smallest work leading to improvement would be to adjust the
drop-down to ignore scrolling (as Search now does) and let scrolling
event delivered to package list.

Vlado