* Problem with installation of Octave
@ 2019-01-08 11:49 Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2019-01-08 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

Hello,

when I updated my installation of Cygwin with Octave (4.2.2 to be
precise) and tried running it (while having an X server running), I
ran into a problem with D-bus:

D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine
uuid: Failed to open "/etc/machine-id": No such file or directory See
the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.

Apparently, installing Octave was not enough, I had to install D-bus
separately. When I had done that, the problem was gone. I guess this
is an omission in the dependencies for Octave. Note: this problem
occurred both with and without the GUI that Octave comes with (octave
--no-gui gave the same error messages).

Kind regards,

Arjen Markus

* Re: Problem with installation of Octave
@ 2019-01-08 12:24 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2019-01-08 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 08.01.2019 um 03:49 schrieb Arjen Markus:
> Hello,
>
> when I updated my installation of Cygwin with Octave (4.2.2 to be
> precise) and tried running it (while having an X server running), I
> ran into a problem with D-bus:
>
> D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine
> uuid: Failed to open "/etc/machine-id": No such file or directory See
> the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
>
> Apparently, installing Octave was not enough, I had to install D-bus
> separately. When I had done that, the problem was gone. I guess this
> is an omission in the dependencies for Octave. Note: this problem
> occurred both with and without the GUI that Octave comes with (octave
> --no-gui gave the same error messages).
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Arjen Markus

Hi Arjen,
noted, however I see that dbus shoud be pulled by xinit

Are you using the X server without xinit ?

Regards
Marco

---

* Re: Problem with installation of Octave
@ 2019-01-08 12:41   ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2019-01-08 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

I checked the various packages that I have installed regarding X:

libX11-devel, libX11-xcb1, libX11_6, libXau-devel, libXau6,
libXcomposite1, libXcursor1, libXdamage1, libXdmcp-devel, libXdmcp6,
libXext6, libXfixes3, libXfont2_2, libXft2, libXi6, libXinerama1,
libXmuu1, libXrandr2, libXrender1, libXss1, libXtst6,
libxcb-composite0, libxcb-devel, libxcv-ewmh2, libxcb-glx0,
libxcb-icccm4, libxcb0image0 (and some other X-related libraries, just
skipping them, as they seem not to add more information), xauth,
xcursor-themes, xkbcomp, xkeyboard-config, xorg-server,
xorg-server-common, xorgproto.

There is no command "xinit". I start the X server using the command
"X" and that seems to work fine. However, I do see a pacakge xinit now
that I explicitly look for it.

Regards,

Arjen

@ 2020-02-07 21:47     ` Jay Abel
From: Jay Abel @ 2020-02-07 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm using tcsh and for some reason the default configuration for X11 keeps
leaving zombie dbus processes, none of which seem to be reachable.  For
example, when running Octave I get an error that dbus wasn't replying.  Now,
if within the open xterm window I type dbus-launch and then I run octave,
there is no error.  I noticed that running dbus-launch in the xterm window
creates three environment variables beginning with DBUS_ but the default
startup only creates the first one, DBUS_SESSION or some such.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

--
Sent from: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Cygwin-list-f3.html

* Re: Problem with installation of Octave
@ 2020-02-08  5:43       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-02-08  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 07.02.2020 um 22:47 schrieb Jay Abel:
> I'm using tcsh and for some reason the default configuration for X11 keeps
> leaving zombie dbus processes, none of which seem to be reachable.  For
> example, when running Octave I get an error that dbus wasn't replying.  Now,
> if within the open xterm window I type dbus-launch and then I run octave,
> there is no error.  I noticed that running dbus-launch in the xterm window
> creates three environment variables beginning with DBUS_ but the default
> startup only creates the first one, DBUS_SESSION or some such.
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

How are you runnig X and which type of Octave are you running ?