* regedit fails with a pop-up
@ 2022-05-13 17:42 Denis Excoffier
       [not found] ` <579342583.2402190.1652467249328@mail.yahoo.com>
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Denis Excoffier @ 2022-05-13 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Denis Excoffier

Hello,

It seems that very recently (immediately after i installed 3.3.5),
/cygdrive/c/windows/regedit /E 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment'
no longer works (i.e. should dump the environment on stdout), and produces a pop-up window with:

Cannot export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.

% uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 jupiter 3.3.5(0.341/5/3) 2022-05-13 12:27 x86_64 Cygwin

Thank you for your help.

Denis Excoffier.

* Re: regedit fails with a pop-up
       [not found] ` <579342583.2402190.1652467249328@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2022-05-13 18:41   ` Kevin Schnitzius
From: Kevin Schnitzius @ 2022-05-13 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

On Friday, May 13, 2022, 01:50:12 PM EDT, Denis Excoffier <cygwin@denis-excoffier.org> wrote:

> It seems that very recently (immediately after i installed 3.3.5),
> /cygdrive/c/windows/regedit /E 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment'
> no longer works (i.e. should dump the environment on stdout), and produces a pop-up window with:

> Cannot export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.

Note: this fails the same way from cmd.

regedit /e --- Exports the entire registry to a file. You can modify this command to add a filename and specific location on the drive, such as regedit /e c:\AllRegistryEntries.reg. You can export a specific key with the following example command regedit /e keybackup.reg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Edge.

You cannot use con: as the output file apparently.

Kevin

@ 2022-05-13 18:47 ` Rainer Emrich
From: Rainer Emrich @ 2022-05-13 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Excoffier, cygwin

Am 13.05.2022 um 19:42 schrieb Denis Excoffier:
> It seems that very recently (immediately after i installed 3.3.5),
> /cygdrive/c/windows/regedit /E 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment'
> no longer works (i.e. should dump the environment on stdout), and produces a pop-up window with:
>
> Cannot export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.
I think this has nothing to do with cygwin.
Did you try regedit /E 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment' in command window
or in Powershell?
For me this gives the same error message, so cygwinisn't to blame.

* Re: regedit fails with a pop-up
@ 2022-05-13 19:43     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-05-13 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2022-05-13 12:41, Kevin Schnitzius via Cygwin wrote:
> On Friday, May 13, 2022, 01:50:12 PM EDT, Denis Excoffier wrote:
>> It seems that very recently (immediately after i installed 3.3.5),
>> /cygdrive/c/windows/regedit /E 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment'
>> no longer works (i.e. should dump the environment on stdout), and
>> produces a pop-up window with:
>> Cannot export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.

> Note: this fails the same way from cmd.
> regedit /e --- Exports the entire registry to a file. You can modify this command to add a filename and specific location on the drive, such as regedit /e c:\AllRegistryEntries.reg. You can export a specific key with the following example command regedit /e keybackup.reg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Edge.
> You cannot use con: as the output file apparently.

Windows regedit executes in the background, and reg, regtool save use
Windows binary reg file formats, and regedit /e and reg export save as
utf16le using hex for strings - use Cygwin regtool list -v instead for
readable strings e.g.

	$ regtool list -v \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Environment\\
	$ regtool list -v /HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Environment/
	$ regtool list -v /proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Environment/
	$ regtool list -v //hostname/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Environment/

@ 2022-05-13 19:51   ` Denis Excoffier
From: Denis Excoffier @ 2022-05-13 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Denis Excoffier, Rainer Emrich

> On 2022-05-13 20:47, Rainer Emrich <rainer-lists@emrich-ebersheim.de> wrote:
>
> Am 13.05.2022 um 19:42 schrieb Denis Excoffier:
>> It seems that very recently (immediately after i installed 3.3.5),
>> /cygdrive/c/windows/regedit /E 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment'
>> no longer works (i.e. should dump the environment on stdout), and produces a pop-up window with:
>> Cannot export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.
> I think this has nothing to do with cygwin.
> Did you try regedit /E 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment' in command window or in Powershell?
> For me this gives the same error message, so cygwinisn't to blame.

Indeed, this has nothing to do with cygwin, sorry for the noise.
I found the root cause, i’ll describe it in a future message.

Regards,

@ 2022-05-29 21:25 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2022-05-29 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Excoffier, cygwin

Greetings, Denis Excoffier!

> Hello,

> It seems that very recently (immediately after i installed 3.3.5),
> /cygdrive/c/windows/regedit /E 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment'
> no longer works (i.e. should dump the environment on stdout),

Since when Windows GUI program would dump anything to STDOUT?

> and produces a pop-up window with:

> Cannot export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.

So predictable.

> % uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-10.0 jupiter 3.3.5(0.341/5/3) 2022-05-13 12:27 x86_64 Cygwin

Use CLI "reg.exe" command.

$ reg QUERY 'HKCU\Environment'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment
    _DATELONG    REG_SZ    %@EXECSTR["C:\Programs\Cygwin_64\bin\date.exe" `+%F`]
    _TIMELONG    REG_SZ    %@REPLACE[:,-,%_TIME]
    _TIMESHORT    REG_SZ    %@LEFT[5,%@REPLACE[:,-,%_TIME]]
    CVSEDITOR    REG_SZ    C:\Programs\Far\farcvsed.bat
    CVSROOT    REG_SZ    \\DAEMON1.DARKDRAGON.LAN\wwwroot\.cvs\cvs
    CYGWIN    REG_SZ    wincmdln winsymlinks:nativestrict glob:ignorecase
    DIRCMD    REG_SZ    /O:GEN
    EDITOR    REG_SZ    /usr/bin/fared.sh
    EMAIL    REG_SZ    C:\Users\anrdaemon\.mail
    HOME    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%
    HTML_TIDY    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%/.tidyrc
    ICU_DATA    REG_SZ    C:\usr\lib
    LANG    REG_SZ    ru_RU.UTF-8
    LC_MESSAGES    REG_SZ    en_US
    LC_NUMERIC    REG_SZ    en_US
    LESS    REG_SZ    -RS#4
    MyIP    REG_SZ    %@EXECSTR[C:\Programs\Cygwin_64\bin\curl.exe -s -- "http://www.rootdir.org/myip.php"]
    NNTPSERVER    REG_SZ    192.168.1.10
    PATH    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\bin;%USERPROFILE%\.local\bin;C:\usr\util;C:\usr\ARH
    PROMPT    REG_EXPAND_SZ    [%USERNAME%@%COMPUTERNAME% $P]$_$$$S
    RAR    REG_EXPAND_SZ    -m5 -mdE -mm -s -w"%TEMP%" -idp -os
    SCREENDIR    REG_EXPAND_SZ    /run/user/%USERNAME%/screen
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\.ssh\auth_sock
    SVN_EDITOR    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %CVSEDITOR%
    TEMP    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
    TMP    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
    USER    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERNAME%

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin