* Why python > 36 so many dependencies?
@ 2024-04-25 14:19 Peter Lai
From: Peter Lai @ 2024-04-25 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Why does installing python > py36 result in bringing in so many
dependencies like libXdmcp etc, when the intent is to just run python
interpreter from cli? Is this because of the way it's built for cygwin? I
build python all the time in NetBSD using pkgsrc and in FreeBSD ports,
without needing all of those deps. I don't know much about how cygport
works, is there a repo of cygport files I can look at?

* Re: Why python > 36 so many dependencies?
@ 2024-04-25 17:46 ` gs-cygwin.com
From: gs-cygwin.com @ 2024-04-25 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Lai; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 10:19:05AM -0400, Peter Lai via Cygwin wrote:
> Why does installing python > py36 result in bringing in so many
> dependencies like libXdmcp etc, when the intent is to just run python
> interpreter from cli? Is this because of the way it's built for cygwin? I
> build python all the time in NetBSD using pkgsrc and in FreeBSD ports,
> without needing all of those deps. I don't know much about how cygport
> works, is there a repo of cygport files I can look at?

The load at https://cygwin.com/git/ is too high at the moment
and I get "503 - The load average on the server is too high"

Take a look at some mirrors.

For cygport code:
https://github.com/cygwin/cygport

Lots of individual repositories under here with cygport projects
https://github.com/cygwinports/
e.g.
https://github.com/cygwinports/python36

Cheers, Glenn

* Re: Why python > 36 so many dependencies?
@ 2024-04-25 18:18   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-04-25 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gs-cygwin.com, Peter Lai; +Cc: cygwin

https://cygwin.com/cgit/ may behave better.

> Take a look at some mirrors.
>
> For cygport code:
> https://github.com/cygwin/cygport

This is just a mirror of https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-apps/cygport/

You should probably take a look at the cygport manual () before reading
the source code.

> Lots of individual repositories under here with cygport projects
> https://github.com/cygwinports/

No, don't look there!

Those repositories haven't been updated for some time, and really should
really be archived, but the owner is too busy.

https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/python36/