* XWindows curiosity with two cygwin instances
@ 2020-05-22  0:28 Jim Garrison
From: Jim Garrison @ 2020-05-22  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have my normal Cygwin+Cygwin/X instance at c:\cygwin64.  I've
temporarily set up another instance (no X) at u:\cygwin64.  I notice
that if I start up the X server on the first instance, X programs
started under the second instance cannot connect to the XServer.
They always get, for example:

jim@HOME10 ~
$ xclock
Error: Can't open display: :0

But this works just fine if I run the same command in a mintty window
launched under the first instance.

This happens even with "Disable access control" set, and also
"xhost +".  I also tried DISPLAY=localhost:0 but that doesn't
work because the X Server isn't listening on port 6000.

Is this an artifact of how Cygwin/X emulates unix sockets?

What option do I need to change to have the XServer listen on
port 6000?

TIA

--
Jim Garrison jhg@acm.org

* Re: XWindows curiosity with two cygwin instances
@ 2020-05-22  4:11 ` Jim Garrison
From: Jim Garrison @ 2020-05-22  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/21/2020 5:28 PM, Jim Garrison via Cygwin wrote:
> I have my normal Cygwin+Cygwin/X instance at c:\cygwin64.  I've
> temporarily set up another instance (no X) at u:\cygwin64.  I notice
> that if I start up the X server on the first instance, X programs
> started under the second instance cannot connect to the XServer.
> They always get, for example:
>
> jim@HOME10 ~
> $ xclock
> Error: Can't open display: :0

I figured out how to add the -listen tcp option in xlaunch, and was
able to connect over TCP between Cygwin instances.  So I assume the
earlier problem had to do with emulation of unix sockets between
two instances of cygwin.dll.

--
Jim Garrison jhg@acm.org