* Strange errors with gcc and top, even after rebaseall
@ 2017-08-23 21:39 nobodyO
From: nobodyO @ 2017-08-23 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

i had some strange errors with Cygwin (32bit) and installed it new (all, every package), but even after "/usr/bin/rebase-trigger full" and setup two errors are remaining:

1.) top does exit at startup with return code -1. Afterwards everything entered is black, as the background, and backspace is displayed as quadgraph "\177".

2.) Linking is not possible, even with a small hello world program:

> make
gcc -o hello.exe hello.o
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/5.4.0/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: unrecognized option '-plugin'
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/5.4.0/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information
collect2: Fehler: ld gab 1 als Ende-Status zurueck
make: *** [makefile:6: hello.exe] Fehler 1

 > gcc -fno-use-linker-plugin -o hello.exe hello.o
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/5.4.0/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: unrecognized option '--build-id'
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/5.4.0/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information
collect2: Fehler: ld gab 1 als Ende-Status zurueck

> cat makefile
TARGET    = hello.exe
OBJECT_01 = hello.o
SOURCE_01 = hello.c
$(TARGET): $(OBJECT_01)
        gcc -o $(TARGET) $(OBJECT_01)
$(OBJECT_01) : $(SOURCE_01)
        gcc -c $(SOURCE_01) -o $(OBJECT_01)
all : $(TARGET)
clean :
        -rm $(TARGET) $(OBJS)

What should i do to eleminate these errors?

Regards,

Rolf

* Re: Strange errors with gcc and top, even after rebaseall
@ 2017-08-24  2:16 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-08-24  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/23/2017 5:39 PM, nobodyO@web.de wrote:
> Hi,
>

> i had some strange errors with Cygwin (32bit) and installed it new (all, every package), but even after "/usr/bin/rebase-trigger full" and setup two errors are remaining:

-->8---8<--
> What should i do to eleminate these errors?

A frequent issue and stated many times; pick and choose packages you
need.  It is impossible to install *ALL* packages; especially the 32bit
version as you us up your memory in DLL.

--
cyg Simple

* Aw: Re: Strange errors with gcc and top, even after rebaseall
@ 2017-08-24  7:16   ` nobodyO
From: nobodyO @ 2017-08-24  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

the 64bit version, with all packages installed, has no problem.
But i also want a 32bit version.

Regards

Rolf

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 24. August 2017 um 04:15 Uhr
Von: "cyg Simple" <cygsimple@gmail.com>
An: cygwin@cygwin.com
Betreff: Re: Strange errors with gcc and top, even after rebaseall
On 8/23/2017 5:39 PM, nobodyO@web.de wrote:
> Hi,
>

> i had some strange errors with Cygwin (32bit) and installed it new (all, every package), but even after "/usr/bin/rebase-trigger full" and setup two errors are remaining:

-->8---8<--
> What should i do to eleminate these errors?

A frequent issue and stated many times; pick and choose packages you
need. It is impossible to install *ALL* packages; especially the 32bit
version as you us up your memory in DLL.

--
cyg Simple

--
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/[http://cygwin.com/faq/]

* Re: Aw: Re: Strange errors with gcc and top, even after rebaseall
@ 2017-08-24 11:16     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2017-08-24 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/24/2017 3:16 AM, nobodyO@web.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the 64bit version, with all packages installed, has no problem.
> But i also want a 32bit version.

You can have the 32 bit version installed, but not all the packages.
Cygwin's approach to making fork work as closely as possible to the
way it works on Posix requires each Cygwin DLL to be put in its own
reserved place in the address space.  The sum total of the DLLs
exceeds the available 32 bit address space.

Eliot Moss

* Re:  Re: Strange errors with gcc and top, even after rebaseall
@ 2017-08-25 19:07       ` nobodyO
From: nobodyO @ 2017-08-25 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

ok, then i need at work two 32bit versions, one for building software A and one for software B, and a 64bit version for working with Cygwin, e. g. locate, backups etc..
For switching between the versions i use moving (renaming) the directories of the other versions and replacing them with junction points to the active version.
Is there a better way for switching?

Rolf Freitag

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 24. August 2017 um 13:16 Uhr
Von: "Eliot Moss" <moss@cs.umass.edu>
An: cygwin@cygwin.com

@ 2017-08-26  3:50         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-08-26  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobodyO, cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 910 bytes --]

Greetings, nobodyO@web.de!

> ok, then i need at work two 32bit versions, one for building software A and
> one for software B,

Why can't you build both under one?…

> and a 64bit version for working with Cygwin, e. g. locate, backups etc..

> For switching between the versions i use moving (renaming) the directories
> of the other versions and replacing them with junction points to the active version.
> Is there a better way for switching?

Why ever "switching" ?
Default Cygwin usage pattern allows for two arch versions to live
independently.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...\0ТÒÐÐ¥\a&ö&ÆVÒ\a&W\x06÷'G3¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒ÷\a&ö&ÆV×2æ‡FÖÀФd\x15\x13¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöf\x17\x12ðФFö7VÖVçF\x17F–öã¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöFö72æ‡FÖÀÐ¥Vç7V'67&–&R\x06–æfó¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöÖÂò7Vç7V'67&–&R×6–×\x06ÆPРÐ

* Re: Strange errors with gcc and top, even after rebaseall
@ 2017-08-26 17:16         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-08-26 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

nobodyO@web.de writes:
> ok, then i need at work two 32bit versions, one for building software
> A and one for software B, and a 64bit version for working with Cygwin,
> e. g. locate, backups etc..

I guess I don't understand why you thoink you'd need two installations
for two build environments.

> For switching between the versions i use
> moving (renaming) the directories of the other versions and replacing
> them with junction points to the active version.

You do what?

> Is there a better way for switching?

Yes, how about not switching at all?  As long as you keep the PATH clean
so that these installations don't see each other there is no problem
having multiple versions of Cygwin active on the same machine.  If you
have daemons running then of course you need to set them up to use
different ports on each instance as well.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Aw: Re: Strange errors with gcc and top, even after rebaseall
@ 2017-08-26 21:51           ` nobodyO
From: nobodyO @ 2017-08-26 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

> I guess I don't understand why you thoink you'd need two installations
> for two build environments.

I have installed one Cygwin installation package from department A, for
building software a, and another from department B and which has some
tools which were developed here, for building software b.

Regards,

Rolf

Gesendet: Samstag, 26. August 2017 um 17:15 Uhr
Von: "Achim Gratz" <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
An: cygwin@cygwin.com

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html[http://cygwin.com/problems.html]

@ 2017-08-27 13:43             ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-08-27 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/26/2017 5:51 PM, nobodyO@web.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I guess I don't understand why you thoink you'd need two installations
>> for two build environments.
>
> I have installed one Cygwin installation package from department A, for
> building software a, and another from department B and which has some
> tools which were developed here, for building software b.

You only need one Cygwin install and the self developed tools reside
within that install; I'll call Cygwin and your tools (TOOLS).  Your
source for each department is separated by projects.

You set your PATH to point to your TOOLS.  You change to a project
directory and issue the project build command (MAKE).  Once the project
is successfully built you create a package to deliver (MAKE package).

There may be reasons to have multiple environments of Cygwin but those
environments must be totally separate and the reasons should only be if
there are differences in the Cygwin environment that are required for a
specific job.  What you've presented doesn't appear to be a required reason.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Aw: Re: Strange errors with gcc and top, even after rebaseall
@ 2017-08-29  2:49       ` Kaz Kylheku
From: Kaz Kylheku @ 2017-08-29  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

On 24.08.2017 04:16, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 8/24/2017 3:16 AM, nobodyO@web.de wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   the 64bit version, with all packages installed, has no problem.
>> But i also want a 32bit version.
>
> You can have the 32 bit version installed, but not all the packages.
> Cygwin's approach to making fork work as closely as possible to the
> way it works on Posix requires each Cygwin DLL to be put in its own
> reserved place in the address space.  The sum total of the DLLs
> exceeds the available 32 bit address space.

Remember "a.out shared libraries" in mid-1990's Linux?

These had pre-assigned, fixed addresses.

Building them involved a trick which captured the assembly output
from gcc and was text filtering it.

Yikes!