* Re: Package request: fswatch
       [not found] <CAABYpSiQVASBNiEUsJYgMx3WsYTDxYhbKi-XpjpFzU9qFVMEwg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-02-14  2:47 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-02-14  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 12:30:29 -0800, Gerald Burns wrote:
> Excuse me for being a total noob, but I'm unsure of how to reply to a
> mailing list.

Just Reply to List if your email client offers that, otherwise use Reply
and specify the list email address as in your original post.

> Regarding xtail being the same as fswatch, I believe they are
> different. It sounds like xtail lets you physically see changes with
> your eyeballs, where as fswatch is the watcher and can notify other
> programs when changes occur.

Gives you the name and content so you have more info to decide what you
want to do.

> In my particular scenario we have written a little script that uses
> fswatch to monitor a directory, and when any changes occur they are
> rsync'd to a remote server.

For that use case, fswatch may be a better choice.
You could just run an rsync command regularly in a cron job.

> Thanks, and sorry again if this is bad etiquette.
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-02/msg00171.html

Breaks proper thread message header references.

* Re: Package request: fswatch
@ 2017-02-14  8:55     ` Vlado
From: Vlado @ 2017-02-14  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 13.2.2017 18:05, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Duplicates xtail which is a well known sysadmin tool used to watch a
> bunch of logs or files at once and works on directories and files
> (apt is alias for apt-cyg):

Hi Brian,

fswatch looks like multiplatform version of inotifywait from
inotify-tools Linux package.

xtail is completely different functionality.

Vlado

* Re: Package request: fswatch
@ 2017-02-13 17:05   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-02-13 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-02-13 08:02, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> It looks like back in Sept. of 2015 fswatch added Windows support:
>> https://github.com/emcrisostomo/fswatch
>> I wondered if anyone would like to take a stab at adding fswatch
>> to cygwin (since I'm totally new to it).
> Seems useful, and builds OOTB in Cygwin. It's limited in Windows in
> that it will only (recursively) watch directories, not files, and
> unfortunately the app doesn't warn you about that if you give it a
> file path instead of a directory path - it just does nothing. Still
> interesting.

Duplicates xtail which is a well known sysadmin tool used to watch a
bunch of logs or files at once and works on directories and files
(apt is alias for apt-cyg):

$ apt show xtail
xtail
sdesc: "Extended tail that also works on truncated files and directories"
ldesc: "Watch the growth of files. It's like running a tail -f on
a bunch of files at once. It notices if a file is
truncated and starts from the beginning. You can specify
both filenames and directories on the command line. If
you specify a directory, it watches all the files in that
directory. It will notice when new files are created (and
start watching them) or when old files are deleted (and
stop watching them)."
category: Utils
requires: cygwin
version: 2.1-1
install: x86_64/release/xtail/xtail-2.1-1.tar.xz 31844 ...
source: x86_64/release/xtail/xtail-2.1-1-src.tar.xz 97960 ...

Windows console command openfiles /query /v shows open files.

* Re: Package request: fswatch
@ 2017-02-13 15:03 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2017-02-13 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> It looks like back in Sept. of 2015 fswatch added Windows support:
> https://github.com/emcrisostomo/fswatch
>
> I wondered if anyone would like to take a stab at adding fswatch to
> cygwin (since I'm totally new to it).

Seems useful, and builds OOTB in Cygwin. It's limited in Windows in that it will
only (recursively) watch directories, not files, and unfortunately the app
doesn't warn you about that if you give it a file path instead of a directory
path - it just does nothing. Still interesting.

* Package request: fswatch
@ 2017-02-13  9:11 Gerald Burns