* Bug in remote gui app execution via ssh
@ 2011-04-26 18:40 Harmon Nine
From: Harmon Nine @ 2011-04-26 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello.

There appears to be a bug in the ssh-daemon in version 5.8p1-1 of the
openssh package.  The bug does not present itself on systems running
sshd from the 5.1p1-10 version of openssh.

The bug is as follows:
A remote system R has Cygwin sshd running from version 5.8p1-1 of
openssh.  The daemon is running as a service, configured using the
directions at
http://chinese-watercolor.com/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html.
Further, the service is running under the "Local System account", and in
its properties as a service, "Allow service to interact with desktop"
has been checked.

A user on a local machine logs into R using ssh.  Then, in the resulting
shell, the user executes a gui app such as notepad.  On the remote
machine R, what appears on the display, rather than the gui for the
notepad app, is a rectangular area with what appears to be a title-bar
at the top, although what this bar contains is a long white or
multi-colored rectangle.   The "window" itself displays the contents of
what was behind it when it was spawned, and keeps displaying this when
moved.  Beyond the ability to move it, the rectangle is non-functional.

If R is running sshd from version 5.1p1-10 of openssh, with the same
configuration, a functional notepad app is spawned.

This doesn't appear to be due to any windows updates, as we have updated
all of our machines recently.  Those with 5.8p1-1 have the bug, and
those with 5.1p1-10 do not.

Any help/information is appreciated.

-- Harmon

* Re: Bug in remote gui app execution via ssh
@ 2011-04-26 21:32 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-04-26 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/26/2011 1:52 PM, Harmon Nine wrote:
> The bug is as follows:
> A remote system R has Cygwin sshd running from version 5.8p1-1 of
> openssh.  The daemon is running as a service, configured using the
> directions at
> http://chinese-watercolor.com/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html.
> Further, the service is running under the "Local System account", and in
> its properties as a service, "Allow service to interact with desktop"
> has been checked.

A couple things to note here:

   1. We don't support other people's recipes for configuring any Cygwin
      package.  Generally when someone reports a problem after using an
      external source for configuration help, this list suggests looking
      to the authors of the help for support.

   2. Interacting with the desktop through a service is really only
      supported for XP and older systems.  Since most of the other details
      you report also suggest that you're using XP, I'll surmise you are,
      though it would be best if you followed the problem reporting guidelines
      found here - http://cygwin.com/problems.html - just so we don't have to
      make these kind of guesses.

You might try downgrading to 5.6p1 if you have not done so already.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2011-10-11 22:00 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-10-11 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/29/2011 9:30 PM, Elr, Arun wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there any update on this feature? I downgraded to 5.6p1, still it did
> not work. I heavily depended on this feature. I tried in XP, Vista and
> Windows 7. Is there any plan to fix this in upcoming release?

A service interacting with the desktop is an undependable feature at best.
MS effectively removed support for it after XP.  Even with XP, it seems
flaky.  Based on that state of affairs, I would say that it's unlikely
that Cygwin will be able to reinstate this through any kind of magic going
forward.  There are some knowledge base articles in the MSDN that talk about
options to enable the station in a service to access another, which may
provide some relief.  Off the top of my head, I don't recall more specific
pointers or details but it's something you could investigate if you're
curious.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2011-10-05  0:24 Elr, Arun
From: Elr, Arun @ 2011-10-05  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: hnine

Hi Larry

I would appreciate if you can tell if there is any plan to fix this?

Regards
Arun

Is there any update on this feature? I downgraded to 5.6p1, still it did not work. I heavily depended on this feature. I tried in XP, Vista and Windows 7. Is there any plan to fix this in upcoming release?

Thanks
Arun

@ 2011-09-30 17:20 Elr, Arun