* Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it installed? How do you get it to work?
@ 2011-05-26 18:34 Lee Rothstein
From: Lee Rothstein @ 2011-05-26 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin, eMail List

I have never been able to get the Tex stuff to work. I've never
even been able to install it successfully.

I admit it, I'm a dolt.

Anybody have the "magic beans" on this?

I've tried installing and reinstalling. Never can get it to work.

Here's some feedback from my last "install attempts":
--
Reinstalled, all of Tex:
* Publishing group, which includes: ec-fonts-mftraced

Package: ec-fonts-mftraced
     postinstall-ec-fonts-mftraced.sh exit code 1
Package: Unknown package
     exim.sh exit code 1
     mined.sh exit code 1
--
isn't 'postinstall-ec-fonts-mftraced.sh' misnamed?
--

   Missing file: /etc/postinstall/postinstall-ec-fonts-mftraced.sh from
package ec-fonts-mftraced

   Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics
--
I did notice in latex.log that it references a file:
"latex.aux". Is the file name extension a problem?

Lee

* Re: Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it installed? How do you get it to work?
@ 2011-05-26 19:17 ` Ryan Johnson
From: Ryan Johnson @ 2011-05-26 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 26/05/2011 2:33 PM, Lee Rothstein wrote:
> I have never been able to get the Tex stuff to work. I've never
> even been able to install it successfully.
>
> I admit it, I'm a dolt.
>
> Anybody have the "magic beans" on this?
>
> I've tried installing and reinstalling. Never can get it to work.
As it happens, I'm running tetex as we speak. It's never been a problem
for me, except the time I had MikTex in my cygwin path and the two
fought. I don't know anything about ec-fonts or jadetex, though. Here
are the cygwin packages I have installed:

tetex                   3.0.0-3
tetex-base              3.0.0-3
tetex-bin               3.0.0-3
tetex-extra             3.0.0-3
tetex-tiny              3.0.0-3

You didn't say what OS or version of cygwin you're running, but assuming
it's 1.7 you might try a fresh install to, say, c:\cygwin-tex, which
includes only the base packages and tetex. It won't harm your existing
install in any way, and you should be able to use the saved packages
from previous downloads rather than having to download again.

If that works you probably have a corrupted cygwin installation (which
would make sense given all the strange errors you mention); if it
doesn't work then something really weird is going on.

Ryan

* Re: Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it installed? How do you get it to work?
@ 2011-05-26 19:21   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2011-05-26 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/26/2011 3:16 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> On 26/05/2011 2:33 PM, Lee Rothstein wrote:
>> I have never been able to get the Tex stuff to work. I've never
>> even been able to install it successfully.
>>
>> I admit it, I'm a dolt.
>>
>> Anybody have the "magic beans" on this?
>>
>> I've tried installing and reinstalling. Never can get it to work.
> As it happens, I'm running tetex as we speak. It's never been a problem
> for me, except the time I had MikTex in my cygwin path and the two
> fought. I don't know anything about ec-fonts or jadetex, though. Here
> are the cygwin packages I have installed:
>
> tetex                   3.0.0-3
> tetex-base              3.0.0-3
> tetex-bin               3.0.0-3
> tetex-extra             3.0.0-3
> tetex-tiny              3.0.0-3
>
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> You didn't say what OS or version of cygwin you're running, but assuming
> it's 1.7 you might try a fresh install to, say, c:\cygwin-tex, which
> includes only the base packages and tetex. It won't harm your existing
> install in any way, and you should be able to use the saved packages
> from previous downloads rather than having to download again.
>
> If that works you probably have a corrupted cygwin installation (which
> would make sense given all the strange errors you mention); if it
> doesn't work then something really weird is going on.

Another alternative if the OP wants a modern TeX system is TeX Live
(http://www.tug.org/texlive/).  It supports Cygwin OOTB.

Ken

* Re: Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it installed? How do you get it to work?
@ 2011-05-26 20:33     ` Dima Pasechnik
From: Dima Pasechnik @ 2011-05-26 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

tetex is dead and buried.
Indeed, http://www.tug.org/tetex/ says:
De-support notice

I (Thomas Esser) have decided not to make new releases of teTeX any
more (May 2006).

In fact, newer (la)tex packages tend not to work with tetex.

Perhaps it is time for cygwin to switch to Tex Live.

On 26 May 2011 21:20, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
> On 5/26/2011 3:16 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>>
>> On 26/05/2011 2:33 PM, Lee Rothstein wrote:
>>>
>>> I have never been able to get the Tex stuff to work. I've never
>>> even been able to install it successfully.
>>>
>>> I admit it, I'm a dolt.
>>>
>>> Anybody have the "magic beans" on this?
>>>
>>> I've tried installing and reinstalling. Never can get it to work.
>>
>> As it happens, I'm running tetex as we speak. It's never been a problem
>> for me, except the time I had MikTex in my cygwin path and the two
>> fought. I don't know anything about ec-fonts or jadetex, though. Here
>> are the cygwin packages I have installed:
>>
>> tetex                   3.0.0-3
>> tetex-base              3.0.0-3
>> tetex-bin               3.0.0-3
>> tetex-extra             3.0.0-3
>> tetex-tiny              3.0.0-3
>>
>>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>
>> You didn't say what OS or version of cygwin you're running, but assuming
>> it's 1.7 you might try a fresh install to, say, c:\cygwin-tex, which
>> includes only the base packages and tetex. It won't harm your existing
>> install in any way, and you should be able to use the saved packages
>> from previous downloads rather than having to download again.
>>
>> If that works you probably have a corrupted cygwin installation (which
>> would make sense given all the strange errors you mention); if it
>> doesn't work then something really weird is going on.
>
> Another alternative if the OP wants a modern TeX system is TeX Live
> (http://www.tug.org/texlive/).  It supports Cygwin OOTB.
>
> Ken

Dmitrii

* Re: Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it installed? How do you get it to work?
@ 2011-05-26 20:48       ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2011-05-26 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Dima Pasechnik  wrote:
> tetex is dead and buried.
> Indeed, http://www.tug.org/tetex/ says:
> De-support notice
>
> I (Thomas Esser) have decided not to make new releases of teTeX any
> more (May 2006).
>
> In fact, newer (la)tex packages tend not to work with tetex.
>
> Perhaps it is time for cygwin to switch to Tex Live.

feel free to volunteer for packing it.

Marco

* Re: Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it installed? How do you get it to work?
@ 2011-05-26 22:39         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2011-05-26 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/26/2011 4:47 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Dima Pasechnik  wrote:
>> tetex is dead and buried.
>> Indeed, http://www.tug.org/tetex/ says:
>> De-support notice
>>
>> I (Thomas Esser) have decided not to make new releases of teTeX any
>> more (May 2006).
>>
>> In fact, newer (la)tex packages tend not to work with tetex.
>>
>> Perhaps it is time for cygwin to switch to Tex Live.
>
> feel free to volunteer for packing it.

Well, hold on there, cowboy.  Jan Nieuwenhuizen is listed as the teTeX
maintainer for cygwin; I think to proper course is to ask Jan to
update/switch cygwin's TeX system to TeX Live, and make the case for why
it should happen.

I think "teTeX has been dead upstream for five years" is a pretty good
argument, actually.

'Course, we haven't heard from Jan since last Novemeber
so...

Jan?  You still there?

--
Chuck

* Re: Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it installed? How do you get it to work?
@ 2011-05-27  1:13           ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-05-27  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/26/2011 6:39 PM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 5/26/2011 4:47 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
>> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Dima Pasechnik  wrote:
>>> tetex is dead and buried.

> Well, hold on there, cowboy.  Jan Nieuwenhuizen is listed as the teTeX
> maintainer for cygwin; I think to proper course is to ask Jan to
> update/switch cygwin's TeX system to TeX Live, and make the case for why
> it should happen.
>
> I think "teTeX has been dead upstream for five years" is a pretty good
> argument, actually.
>
> 'Course, we haven't heard from Jan since last Novemeber
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-11/msg00422.html
> so...
>
> Jan?  You still there?

I observe that I installed and use MiKTeX, which is a native
Windows TeX/LaTeX, but I call it fine from cygwin scripts and
such without difficulty. It was a seamless cutover.  (I did it
to have a version more similar to that of some colleagues,
with whom I am working on a book.)  So ... I am not sure that
there is any great benefit to a cygwin-specific version.

Best wishes -- Eliot Moss

* Re: Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it installed? How do you get it to work?
@ 2011-05-27  5:47             ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2011-05-27  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/26/2011 9:13 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> I observe that I installed and use MiKTeX, which is a native
> Windows TeX/LaTeX, but I call it fine from cygwin scripts and
> such without difficulty. It was a seamless cutover.

Me too.

> So ... I am not sure that
> there is any great benefit to a cygwin-specific version.

Integration with other tex-ish tools.  I believe Jan's original
motivation for providing cygwin-teTeX was as a base for lilypond.

--
Chuck

* Re: Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it  installed? How do you get it to work?
@ 2011-05-27  6:39               ` wynfield
From: wynfield @ 2011-05-27  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have installed and use 'texlive 2010', as is, on cygwin with no problem.
No need for MikTeX or Windows interfaces.  Using TexLive also eases things since
it uses normal posix pathnames.

Regards,
  Wynfield

* Re: Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it installed? How do you get it to work?
@ 2011-05-27  6:52           ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2011-05-27  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, cygwin

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Charles Wilson  wrote:
> On 5/26/2011 4:47 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
>> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Dima Pasechnik  wrote:
>>> tetex is dead and buried.
>>> Indeed, http://www.tug.org/tetex/ says:
>>> De-support notice
>>>
>>> I (Thomas Esser) have decided not to make new releases of teTeX any
>>> more (May 2006).
>>>
>>> In fact, newer (la)tex packages tend not to work with tetex.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it is time for cygwin to switch to Tex Live.
>>
>> feel free to volunteer for packing it.
>
> Well, hold on there, cowboy.  Jan Nieuwenhuizen is listed as the teTeX
> maintainer for cygwin; I think to proper course is to ask Jan to
> update/switch cygwin's TeX system to TeX Live, and make the case for why
> it should happen.

Tex Live will be another package, so it could have another maintainer.
No one will complain about additional volunteers.
;-)

TexLive has a peculiar installation, so making a cygwin package is not
a trivial task.

> I think "teTeX has been dead upstream for five years" is a pretty good
> argument, actually.

using a typical CGF's answer:

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI

> 'Course, we haven't heard from Jan since last Novemeber
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-11/msg00422.html
> so...
>
> Jan?  You still there?

following gmane, he seems busy with lilypond and mingw