* shutdown doesn't do anything, winXP
@ 2011-09-01 18:51 LMH
From: LMH @ 2011-09-01 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a bash script that runs rsync and I have been trying to add a
command to shutdown the computer after the backup has finished running.

I have added,

shutdown -s now

and also tried,

shutdown -s 5
shutdown -x now
shutdown -x 5

but the computer doesn't shut down. Running which shutdown gives me,

/usr/bin/shutdown

so I know its there.

Any suggestions?

LMH

* Re: shutdown doesn't do anything, winXP
@ 2011-09-02  0:45 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-09-02  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/1/2011 2:51 PM, LMH wrote:
> I have a bash script that runs rsync and I have been trying to add a command
> to shutdown the computer after the backup has finished running.
>
> I have added,
>
> shutdown -s now
>
> and also tried,
>
> shutdown -s 5
> shutdown -x now
> shutdown -x 5
>
> but the computer doesn't shut down. Running which shutdown gives me,
>
> /usr/bin/shutdown
>
> so I know its there.
>
> Any suggestions?

One - try the full path?

Otherwise:

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2011-09-02  9:21 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-09-02  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sep  1 14:51, LMH wrote:
> I have a bash script that runs rsync and I have been trying to add a
> command to shutdown the computer after the backup has finished
> running.
>
> I have added,
>
> shutdown -s now
>
> and also tried,
>
> shutdown -s 5
> shutdown -x now
> shutdown -x 5
>
> but the computer doesn't shut down. Running which shutdown gives me,
>
> /usr/bin/shutdown
>
> so I know its there.
>
> Any suggestions?

Try the -f/--force option.  Note that shutdown can succeed even if the
machine won't actually shutdown.  See, for instance, the remarks section
on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa376874%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: shutdown doesn't do anything, winXP
@ 2011-09-02 17:27   ` LMH
From: LMH @ 2011-09-02 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Using the full path was successful.

As an aside, why does which shutdown return /usr/bin/shutdown when the
shutdown app is located in /bin/shutdown? What value does the /usr part
of the path have in this context?

I suppose I should use force, but I never have anything running when I
run the backup script that this is part of.

LMH

@ 2011-09-02 18:36     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2011-09-02 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 9/2/2011 11:26 AM, LMH wrote:

> As an aside, why does which shutdown return /usr/bin/shutdown when the
> shutdown app is located in /bin/shutdown? What value does the /usr part
> of the path have in this context?

/bin and /usr/bin are the same thing by default under Cygwin.  c:\cygwin
is mounted as root, and then c:\cygwin\bin is mounted as /usr/bin.  I
imagine one could change this behavior with /etc/fstab, if one wanted.

"which" is using /usr/bin in your case simply because that was found
first in your PATH environment variable.