* Re: -nolisten tcp -multiwindow combination crashes in XWin startup
       [not found]       ` <4EAFF999.7010301@dronecode.org.uk>
@ 2011-11-01 21:51         ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2011-11-01 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, cygwin

Jon:  Thanks for the pointers to the fork() problem faqs.  That and a bit of googling led me to give rebaseall a try, and
that appears to have cured my issue.  (For others, instructions can be found at
http://www.heikkitoivonen.net/blog/2008/11/26/cygwin-upgrades-and-rebaseall/ .)

Suggestion, perhaps more to the main cygwin team:  Since this issue is cygwin specific and is a bit obscure (I've
been using cygwin for a good many years, but this is the first time I've recognized I had issues from this), it'd be nice
if users didn't have to learn about this the hard way.  Could running rebaseall perhaps be automated as part of setup.com?

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-11-01 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 02:50:35PM -0700, Dave wrote:
>Jon:? Thanks for the?pointers to the fork() problem faqs.? That and a bit of googling led?me to give rebaseall a try, and
>that appears to have cured my issue.? (For others, instructions can be found at
>http://www.heikkitoivonen.net/blog/2008/11/26/cygwin-upgrades-and-rebaseall/?.)
>
>Suggestion, perhaps more to the main cygwin team:? Since this issue is cygwin specific and?is a bit obscure (I've
>been using cygwin for a good many years, but this is the first time I've recognized I had issues from this), it'd be nice
>if users didn't have to learn about this the hard way.? Could running?rebaseall perhaps be automated as part of setup.com?

With all of your googling you didn't come up with any previous
discussions about doing this in setup.exe?

How odd.

cgf

* Re: -nolisten tcp -multiwindow combination crashes in XWin startup
@ 2011-11-01 22:34           ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2011-11-01 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, cygwin

On 11/1/2011 5:50 PM, Dave wrote:
> Suggestion, perhaps more to the main cygwin team:  Since this issue is cygwin specific and is a bit obscure (I've
> been using cygwin for a good many years, but this is the first time I've recognized I had issues from this), it'd be nice
> if users didn't have to learn about this the hard way.  Could running rebaseall perhaps be automated as part of setup.com?

Rebase recently (4.0) gained the ability to use a database of
already-rebased DLLs, thanks to Corinna's efforts. I think part of the
purpose was to enable this setup-triggered behavior.

IF setup always ran rebase(all), then with the old rebase, (a) it would
appear to hang for a long time every time you tried to install anything,
while rebaseall was running, and (b) you'd always have to kill ALL
cygwin processes and services, even just to install some simple utility.

With rebase-4.0, those drawbacks won't occur (unless you have to rebase,
say, cygintl-8.dll for some reason).

But, since rebase-4.0 was just released, I think we're letting it simmer
on low heat for a while, before "forcing" everybody to use it during
every setup.exe instance.  It'd be a real shame if rebase-4.0 had some
undiscovered bug...and EVERYBODY got bit with it at once due to a new
"feature" of setup.exe!

--
Chuck

* Re: -nolisten tcp -multiwindow combination crashes in XWin startup
@ 2011-11-10 10:23             ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2011-11-10 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 02:50:35PM -0700, Dave wrote:
>> Jon:? Thanks for the?pointers to the fork() problem faqs.? That and a bit of googling led?me to give rebaseall a try, and
>> that appears to have cured my issue.? (For others, instructions can be found at
>> http://www.heikkitoivonen.net/blog/2008/11/26/cygwin-upgrades-and-rebaseall/?.)
>>
> With all of your googling you didn't come up with any previous
> discussions about doing this in setup.exe?
>
> How odd.

---

*experiencing strangely familiar variations of helpful CFG responses,
I ponder:

I typed in several varitions of
X11,  Xwin,  cygwin, died waiting for dll loading, errno 11...
Tried  " upgrades rebaseall"...
Nope...

Nothing came up concerning rebaseall and setup.exe...nothing about
discussions...I know... lets try:

  "setup.exe rebaseall"

whole bunch of discussions ...came right up...

Maybe _he_ didn't already _know_ _the_ _answer_ in order to
type in the correct search term...nah.. couldn't be that...must be the
user's fault..lets blame him!... *doi*!

* Re: -nolisten tcp -multiwindow combination crashes in XWin startup
@ 2011-11-10 17:59               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-11-10 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 02:23:28AM -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 02:50:35PM -0700, Dave wrote:
>>> Jon:? Thanks for the?pointers to the fork() problem faqs.? That and a bit of googling led?me to give rebaseall a try, and
>>> that appears to have cured my issue.? (For others, instructions can be found at
>>> http://www.heikkitoivonen.net/blog/2008/11/26/cygwin-upgrades-and-rebaseall/?.)
>>>
>>>Suggestion, perhaps more to the main cygwin team:?  Since this issue is
>>>cygwin specific and?is a bit obscure (I've been using cygwin for a good
>>>many years, but this is the first time I've recognized I had issues
>>>from this), it'd be nice if users didn't have to learn about this the
>>>hard way.?  Could running?rebaseall perhaps be automated as part of
>>>setup.com?
>>>
>>With all of your googling you didn't come up with any previous
>>discussions about doing this in setup.exe?
>>
>>How odd.
>
>---
>
>*experiencing strangely familiar variations of helpful CFG responses,
>
>I ponder:

>I typed in several varitions of
>X11,  Xwin,  cygwin, died waiting for dll loading, errno 11...
>Tried  " upgrades rebaseall"...
>Nope...
>
>Nothing came up concerning rebaseall and setup.exe...nothing about
>discussions...I know... lets try:
>
>  "setup.exe rebaseall"
>
>whole bunch of discussions ...came right up...
>
>Maybe _he_ didn't already _know_ _the_ _answer_ in order to
>type in the correct search term...nah.. couldn't be that...must be the
>user's fault..lets blame him!... *doi*!

So, your 14 line response to my 3 line observation concludes that typing
"setup.exe rebaseall" would have uncovered previous discussion but
adding extraneous search terms which have nothing to do with the
suggestion to run rebaseall in setup.exe would not have uncovered past
discussion.

Yep.

cgf