* midnight commander does not see external USB hard drives on remote machine
@ 2011-11-20 15:00 carolus
From: carolus @ 2011-11-20 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Midnight commander does not see USB storage devices on a remote machine
using an ssh connection.  cd /cygdrive/f gives the message "no such file
or directory" from within mc, but the same command works as expected
from ssh.

* Re: midnight commander does not see external USB hard drives on remote machine
@ 2011-11-20 21:55 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2011-11-20 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/20/2011 3:59 PM, carolus wrote:
> Midnight commander does not see USB storage devices on a remote machine
> using an ssh connection. cd /cygdrive/f gives the message "no such file
> or directory" from within mc, but the same command works as expected
> from ssh.

could you clarify a bit ?

cygwin can not mount remote filesystem, so mc on cygwin lack also
such feature.

I succeeded to explore a remote filesystem through the shell link,
but I suspect any options like copy and view are problematic,
I need to investigate.

Regards
Marco

* Re: midnight commander does not see external USB hard drives on remote machine
@ 2011-11-21  4:44   ` carolus
From: carolus @ 2011-11-21  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/20/2011 3:55 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
> On 11/20/2011 3:59 PM, carolus wrote:
>> Midnight commander does not see USB storage devices on a remote machine
>> using an ssh connection. cd /cygdrive/f gives the message "no such file
>> or directory" from within mc, but the same command works as expected
>> from ssh.
>
> could you clarify a bit ?
>
> cygwin can not mount remote filesystem, so mc on cygwin lack also
> such feature.
>
> I succeeded to explore a remote filesystem through the shell link,
> but I suspect any options like copy and view are problematic,

To copy is not a big problem.  For example,

scp junk.f $DELL
(where DELL=dell03:/cygdrive/f/transit_ext)

will copy junk.f to a directory on a USB hard drive on remote host
dell03.  Here I put the target directory in an environment variable so
that I don't have to retype it.  I would like to be able to navigate to
the target directory on the remote filesystem without having to type
exact long pathnames (sftp allows no wildcards in the remote cd
command). I can do that with midnight commander on the remote system
drive /cygdrive/c, but not on the remote USB HDD /cygdrive/f

* Re: midnight commander does not see external USB hard drives on remote machine
@ 2011-11-21 12:35     ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2011-11-21 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/21/2011 5:44 AM, carolus wrote:
> On 11/20/2011 3:55 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
>> On 11/20/2011 3:59 PM, carolus wrote:
>>> Midnight commander does not see USB storage devices on a remote machine
>>> using an ssh connection. cd /cygdrive/f gives the message "no such file
>>> or directory" from within mc, but the same command works as expected
>>> from ssh.
>>
>> could you clarify a bit ?
>>
>> cygwin can not mount remote filesystem, so mc on cygwin lack also
>> such feature.
>>
>> I succeeded to explore a remote filesystem through the shell link,
>> but I suspect any options like copy and view are problematic,
>
> To copy is not a big problem. For example,
>
> scp junk.f $DELL
> (where DELL=dell03:/cygdrive/f/transit_ext)
>
> will copy junk.f to a directory on a USB hard drive on remote host
> dell03. Here I put the target directory in an environment variable so
> that I don't have to retype it. I would like to be able to navigate to
> the target directory on the remote filesystem without having to type
> exact long pathnames (sftp allows no wildcards in the remote cd
> command). I can do that with midnight commander on the remote system
> drive /cygdrive/c, but not on the remote USB HDD /cygdrive/f

I can only guess that mc is connecting with insufficient privileges /
different identity that ssh. I need to look how the FISH module is
performing the browsing on the remote computer, and I have
currently no clue of it.

I will not be able to test a ssh connection to another cygwin
computer, for at least one month as I am travelling for job.
So do not expect a short term solution.

Regards
Marco