* 1.7.11-1 Update returns non-zero exit codes for coreutils
@ 2012-03-28 17:05 Brian Wilson
From: Brian Wilson @ 2012-03-28 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I did my usual morning updates from Cygwin and saw the following error
messages (thank you for the autorebase by the way, long needed, great idea).

Package: Unknown package
	autorebase.bat exit code 1
	coreutils.sh exit code 127

I've tried re-installing the coreutils package and still see the following.

Package: coreutils
	coreutils.sh exit code 127
Package: Unknown package
	autorebase.bat exit code 1

While I can run the Cygwin terminal window, there appears to be a very serious
issue as I can't run commands like "cd", "ls", or "cygcheck" either.  When I
echo the $PATH I get the following.  This definitely doesn't look correct.

$ echo $PATH
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Windows
Live:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/Syst
em32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/ATI Technologies/ATI Control
Panel:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/ATI Technologies/ATI.ACE/Core-
Static:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft SQL
Server/80/Tools/Binn:/cygdrive/c/ProgramFiles/QuickTime/QTSystem:/cygdrive/c/P
rogram Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Windows Live

I've deleted the C:\cygwin\etc\setup\coreutil.lst.gz and re-installed again.
I still get the same exit code message as after the previous re-install
attempt.

Any idea what I've done wrong or what I need to do to get out of this
situation?  I can't run cygcheck or I would try to give the output as an
attachment.  I'm running a Windows XP SP3 system with McAfee Security Center.
There are no security warnings during the download or installation.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Brian S. Wilson

* Re: 1.7.11-1 Update returns non-zero exit codes for coreutils
@ 2012-03-28 17:18 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-03-28 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/28/2012 1:04 PM, Brian Wilson wrote:
> While I can run the Cygwin terminal window, there appears to be a very serious
> issue as I can't run commands like "cd", "ls", or "cygcheck" either.

Can you tell us what this means?  How did you determine that you can't run
these commands?

> I can't run cygcheck or I would try to give the output as an attachment.

So you're saying c:\cygwin\bin\cygcheck.exe doesn't run from cmd.exe?
True for c:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe too?  What feedback do you get?

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2012-03-28 17:43   ` Brian Wilson
From: Brian Wilson @ 2012-03-28 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > While I can run the Cygwin terminal window, there appears to be a very serious
> > issue as I can't run commands like "cd", "ls", or "cygcheck" either.
>
> Can you tell us what this means?  How did you determine that you can't run these commands?

I opened the cygwin terminal and got the usual shell prompt.  I entered the "cd" or "ls" commands and got a command not found error.  I echoed
$PATH and saw that the path didn't look correct (which is why I assume the commands couldn't be found).  I would have expected to see /usr/bin and
/usr/local/bin in the path somewhere.  I didn't try giving the full path to these commands to see if the commands would have worked (I assume they
would, but will confirm tonight).

I opened an Explorer session and went to C:\cygwin\bin and I could see the ls.exe and cygcheck.exe files were present so I presumed the issue was
with the $PATH not being set correctly.

> > I can't run cygcheck or I would try to give the output as an attachment.
>
> So you're saying c:\cygwin\bin\cygcheck.exe doesn't run from cmd.exe?
> True for c:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe too?  What feedback do you get?

I got the command not found error when I tried to run cygcheck from the shell.  Stupidly, I didn't try with the full path to the file in the shell.
I did open a windoz cmd window and ran the cygcheck command.  There were errors (which I didn't bother to record of course).  I will repeat this
attempt and send the results this evening.

@ 2012-03-29 23:45     ` Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2012-03-29 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian Wilson <wilson <at> ds.net> writes:

> > > While I can run the Cygwin terminal window, there appears to be a very
serious
> > > issue as I can't run commands like "cd", "ls", or "cygcheck" either.
> >
> > Can you tell us what this means?  How did you determine that you can't run
these commands?

> I opened the cygwin terminal and got the usual shell prompt.  I entered
the "cd" or "ls" commands and got a
> command not found error.  I echoed
> $PATH and saw that the path didn't look correct (which is why I assume the
commands couldn't be found).  I
> would have expected to see /usr/bin and
> /usr/local/bin in the path somewhere.  I didn't try giving the full path to
these commands to see if the
> commands would have worked (I assume they
> would, but will confirm tonight).
>
> I opened an Explorer session and went to C:\cygwin\bin and I could see the
ls.exe and cygcheck.exe files
> were present so I presumed the issue was
> with the $PATH not being set correctly.
>
> > > I can't run cygcheck or I would try to give the output as an attachment.
> >
> > So you're saying c:\cygwin\bin\cygcheck.exe doesn't run from cmd.exe?
> > True for c:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe too?  What feedback do you get?
>
> I got the command not found error when I tried to run cygcheck from the
shell.  Stupidly, I didn't try with the
> full path to the file in the shell.
> I did open a windoz cmd window and ran the cygcheck command.  There were
errors (which I didn't bother to
> record of course).  I will repeat this
> attempt and send the results this evening.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Brian S. Wilson

I just got this exact same thing and tried re-installing coreutils with no
effect.  Initially, I had been installing binutils, and was told to restart
because I had left a cygwin console open during the install.  Interested to
hear what is known about this (recent) issue.

* Re: 1.7.11-1 Update returns non-zero exit codes for coreutils
@ 2012-03-30  1:10       ` Brian Wilson
From: Brian Wilson @ 2012-03-30  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Andrew

> I just got this exact same thing and tried re-installing coreutils
> with no effect.  Initially, I had been installing binutils, and was
> told to restart because I had left a cygwin console open during the
> install.  Interested to hear what is known about this (recent) issue.

Interesting...  I didn't have any consoles open (that I remember) during the
update, but I've rebooted and done an update since this issue surfaced (again
with no console open) and it hasn't resolved.  I've been wondering if I should
remove the C:\cygwin directories and try installing again.  I'm hoping I won't
have to do something that drastic.

Brian

* Re: 1.7.11-1 Update returns non-zero exit codes for coreutils
@ 2012-03-30  3:26         ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-03-30  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/29/2012 9:10 PM, Brian Wilson wrote:
> From: Andrew
>>
>> I just got this exact same thing and tried re-installing coreutils
>> with no effect.  Initially, I had been installing binutils, and was
>> told to restart because I had left a cygwin console open during the
>> install.  Interested to hear what is known about this (recent) issue.
>>

> Interesting...  I didn't have any consoles open (that I remember) during the
> update, but I've rebooted and done an update since this issue surfaced (again
> with no console open) and it hasn't resolved.  I've been wondering if I should
> remove the C:\cygwin directories and try installing again.  I'm hoping I won't
> have to do something that drastic.

I'd recommend making sure all Cygwin processes are stopped (including
services) and try installing the cygwin and coreutils package again,
along with anything else you'd like to include.  If you're still having
problems, cygcheck output will be helpful in any follow-up.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2012-03-30 18:49           ` Andrew Stein
From: Andrew Stein @ 2012-03-30 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On 3/29/2012 9:10 PM, Brian Wilson wrote:
> > From: Andrew
> >>
> >> I just got this exact same thing and tried re-installing coreutils
> >> with no effect.  Initially, I had been installing binutils, and was
> >> told to restart because I had left a cygwin console open during the
> >> install.  Interested to hear what is known about this (recent) issue.
> >>

> > Interesting...  I didn't have any consoles open (that I remember) during
the
> > update, but I've rebooted and done an update since this issue surfaced
(again
> > with no console open) and it hasn't resolved.  I've been wondering if I
should
> > remove the C:\cygwin directories and try installing again.  I'm hoping I
won't
> > have to do something that drastic.
>
> I'd recommend making sure all Cygwin processes are stopped (including
> services) and try installing the cygwin and coreutils package again,
> along with anything else you'd like to include.  If you're still having
> problems, cygcheck output will be helpful in any follow-up.

So, Larry, are you talking about un-/reinstalling cygwin entirely*?  Also,
does cygwin dev monitor this chat in case this is a bug?  If not, is there a
better place to report such an issue?

Couple of other points.  In searching some of the error codes (eg. "command
not found" message), I also added "c:\cygwin\bin" to my PATH and created env
variable CYGWIN_HOME as "c:\cygwin".  This stopped the "command not found"
message, though ls output was still empty.

Thanks.

*If so (ie. most likely the quickest path to resolution), I'm still a more
than happy customer, and cygwin is still in the 99.9999999% satisfaction
realm.  Can't recall ever having an update issue like this before, but them's
the breaks with software!  :)

* Re: 1.7.11-1 Update returns non-zero exit codes for coreutils
@ 2012-04-01 18:11             ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-04-01 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/30/2012 2:49 PM, Andrew Stein wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin<reply-to-list-only-lh<at>  cygwin.com>  writes:
>

>> On 3/29/2012 9:10 PM, Brian Wilson wrote:
>>> From: Andrew

>>> Interesting...  I didn't have any consoles open (that I remember) during
> the
>>> update, but I've rebooted and done an update since this issue surfaced
> (again
>>> with no console open) and it hasn't resolved.  I've been wondering if I
> should
>>> remove the C:\cygwin directories and try installing again.  I'm hoping I
> won't
>>> have to do something that drastic.
>>
>> I'd recommend making sure all Cygwin processes are stopped (including
>> services) and try installing the cygwin and coreutils package again,
>> along with anything else you'd like to include.  If you're still having
>> problems, cygcheck output will be helpful in any follow-up.
>>

> So, Larry, are you talking about un-/reinstalling cygwin entirely*?  Also,
> does cygwin dev monitor this chat in case this is a bug?  If not, is there a
> better place to report such an issue?

I'm suggesting reinstalling the packages in question with any other package
you think might be affected.  Of course, it's likely that if you re-run
'setup.exe' now (grabbing the newest one from cygwin.com of course), you'll
get the newest cygwin package (1.7.12) even without asking for it to be
reinstalled, since a new package for it has come out since your posting.

The Cygwin development team is on this list.  This is the list to report
issues with Cygwin usage, with the exception of Cygwin X issues which should
go to the cygwin-xfree list.

> Couple of other points.  In searching some of the error codes (eg. "command
> not found" message), I also added "c:\cygwin\bin" to my PATH and created env
> variable CYGWIN_HOME as "c:\cygwin".  This stopped the "command not found"
> message, though ls output was still empty.

Could be BLODA <http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.bloda>.  But
perhaps it makes the most sense to see a problem report if you're still
having difficulties after trying my suggestion.

Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2012-04-12 23:43               ` Brian Wilson
From: Brian Wilson @ 2012-04-12 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nothing I tried could bring the Cygwin package back to life.  Even trying to
install the latest new release didn't work.  I finally just removed the
application and downloaded everything again.

I now have the 1.7.13-* release available and working.  I made a copy of the
download tracking files (I don't know the real name for these files) and was
able to diff the new basic download package against the previous download and
make sure I got all the packages I had previously had.

With just a little work, I was able to get everything.  Now I just need to
setup the apache2 server, the sshd deamon, etc.  I hope my notes are correct.
:)

Sincerely,

Brian S. Wilson