* libsasl2 2.1.25-1 incompatible with latest openldap.
@ 2012-06-22 22:08 Andrew Branson
From: Andrew Branson @ 2012-06-22 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

After updating my cygwin yesterday, my openldap slapd failed to start,
giving the following output:

$ /usr/sbin/slapd -d 1 -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf
@(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.3.43 (Mar 26 2012 13:27:31) $

vzell@vzell-de:/misc/src/release/openldap-2.3.43-3/build/servers/slapd
daemon_init: listen on ldap:///
daemon_init: 1 listeners to open...
ldap_url_parse_ext(ldap:///)
daemon: listener initialized ldap:///
daemon_init: 2 listeners opened
slapd init: initiated server.
slap_sasl_init: auxprop add plugin failed
slapd destroy: freeing system resources.
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

If I downgrade libsasl2 to version 2.1.23-1 then it works just fine. I
couldn't find anyone else complaining about this, and it seems to be
over a month since libsasl2 was updated. Am I doing something wrong? I
replicated this problem on two different machines.

Thanks for any help,

Andrew

* Re: libsasl2 2.1.25-1 incompatible with latest openldap. (ATTN: openldap maintainer)
@ 2012-06-22 23:57 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2012-06-22 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/22/2012 3:08 PM, Andrew Branson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After updating my cygwin yesterday, my openldap slapd failed to start,
> giving the following output:
>
> $ /usr/sbin/slapd -d 1 -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf
> @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.3.43 (Mar 26 2012 13:27:31) $
>
> vzell@vzell-de:/misc/src/release/openldap-2.3.43-3/build/servers/slapd
> daemon_init: listen on ldap:///
> daemon_init: 1 listeners to open...
> ldap_url_parse_ext(ldap:///)
> daemon: listener initialized ldap:///
> daemon_init: 2 listeners opened
> slapd init: initiated server.
> slap_sasl_init: auxprop add plugin failed
> slapd destroy: freeing system resources.
> slapd stopped.
> connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
>
> If I downgrade libsasl2 to version 2.1.23-1 then it works just fine. I
> couldn't find anyone else complaining about this, and it seems to be
> over a month since libsasl2 was updated. Am I doing something wrong? I
> replicated this problem on two different machines.

Apparently the problem is that SASL 2.1.25 changed the ABI in an
incompatible way without bumping the DLL version[1].

The easiest fix is to rebuild OpenLDAP against the updated SASL package.
It might also be possible for me to release a patched SASL package with
a bumped DLL version, preserving the previous DLL in the current
libsasl2 package, but I'd really prefer not to do that.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=628237#80

"Plastic gun.  Ingenious.  More coffee, please."
                -- The Phantom comics