* Creating a desktop shortcut to Cygwin emacs
@ 2024-02-22 19:44 David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2024-02-22 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Every three years or so I have to set up a new laptop, and several things
that I only do in that period I either lose the notes on it, or something
has changed that I'm not aware of.

I'm installing Cygwin on a new laptop, version 3.5.0-1.x86_64. I had 3.4.6
on the old laptop.

My desktop shortcut on the old laptop goes to:

   C:\cygwin64\bin\run2.exe --display 127.0.0.1:0.0 /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml

I tried to set this up on the new laptop, and I noticed that "run2" doesn't
exist, but "run" does. I tried just changing the command line to call "run"
instead, but that resulting command line doesn't appear to do anything. No
errors, just returns to the prompt and nothing happens.

I tried googling for this, and I found a page on the EmacsWiki, but I can't
tell if that is up to date.

* Re: Creating a desktop shortcut to Cygwin emacs
@ 2024-02-22 21:12 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2024-02-22 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/22/2024 2:44 PM, David Karr via Cygwin wrote:
> Every three years or so I have to set up a new laptop, and several things
> that I only do in that period I either lose the notes on it, or something
> has changed that I'm not aware of.
>
> I'm installing Cygwin on a new laptop, version 3.5.0-1.x86_64. I had 3.4.6
> on the old laptop.
>
> My desktop shortcut on the old laptop goes to:
>
>     C:\cygwin64\bin\run2.exe --display 127.0.0.1:0.0 /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml
>
> I tried to set this up on the new laptop, and I noticed that "run2" doesn't
> exist, but "run" does.

The run2 package still exists:

   https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/run2.html

Ken

* Re: Creating a desktop shortcut to Cygwin emacs
@ 2024-02-22 21:23   ` David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2024-02-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok. I forgot I had to add that package.

However, now there's another odd problem. The command line still doesn't
start anything, but it does print an error message, saying that it can't
find "/usr/local/bin/emacs.xml".  I can copy that file from the old laptop,
but is that file supposed to be generated by something?

@ 2024-02-22 21:53     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2024-02-22 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Please don't top post on this list.  Thanks.]

On 2/22/2024 4:23 PM, David Karr wrote:
> Ok. I forgot I had to add that package.
>
> However, now there's another odd problem. The command line still doesn't
> start anything, but it does print an error message, saying that it can't
> find "/usr/local/bin/emacs.xml".  I can copy that file from the old
> laptop, but is that file supposed to be generated by something?

It's not generated automatically.  There's a script
/usr/bin/make-emacs-shortcut that you can run to create it.  See
/usr/share/doc/emacs/README.Cygwin for details.  Or just copy it from
your old computer.

Ken

* Re: Creating a desktop shortcut to Cygwin emacs
@ 2024-02-22 22:40     ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2024-02-22 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Karr via Cygwin writes:

> Ok. I forgot I had to add that package.
>
> However, now there's another odd problem. The command line still doesn't
> start anything, but it does print an error message, saying that it can't
> find "/usr/local/bin/emacs.xml".  I can copy that file from the old laptop,
> but is that file supposed to be generated by something?

Don't remember, but here's my version, you should remove the 'x'

Use something like this as your target for an XEmacs shortcut target

  \C64\bin\run2.exe /usr/local/bin/cygxemacs.xml

And the following in cygxemacs.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="us-ascii"?>
<Run2Config
  xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="run2.xsd">
  <SelfOptions />
  <Global>
    <Environment/>
    <Target filename="/usr/bin/bash.exe" startin="~">
      <Arg>-l -c /usr/local/bin/xemacs-21.5-b35</Arg>
    </Target>
  </Global>
</Run2Config>

ht
                10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9AB, SCOTLAND
                           e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk

* Re: Creating a desktop shortcut to Cygwin emacs
@ 2024-02-23  3:49 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-02-23  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2024-02-22 12:44, David Karr via Cygwin wrote:
> Every three years or so I have to set up a new laptop, and several things
> that I only do in that period I either lose the notes on it, or something
> has changed that I'm not aware of.
>
> I'm installing Cygwin on a new laptop, version 3.5.0-1.x86_64. I had 3.4.6
> on the old laptop.
>
> My desktop shortcut on the old laptop goes to:
>
>     C:\cygwin64\bin\run2.exe --display 127.0.0.1:0.0 /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml
>
> I tried to set this up on the new laptop, and I noticed that "run2" doesn't
> exist, but "run" does. I tried just changing the command line to call "run"
> instead, but that resulting command line doesn't appear to do anything. No
> errors, just returns to the prompt and nothing happens.

Different program with different requirements - run is part of Base cygwin,
installed by default, not a lot else is except for install requirements,
{core,cyg,diff,find,ipc-}utils, util-linux, and ex/vi.

Package run2 has to be selected in Cygwin Setup, as does xinit to install the X
server and run Cygwin GUI programs.

> I tried googling for this, and I found a page on the EmacsWiki, but I can't
> tell if that is up to date.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry