* incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-07 15:18 briand
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: briand @ 2020-05-07 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Doesn't matter what terminal i'm using, I'm having a problem with the way graphic characters print.
Julia uses unicode output, and will generate output that should look like this:

julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
2×3 DataFrame
│ Row │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
│     │ Int64 │ Int64 │ Int64 │
├─────┼───────┼───────┼───────┤
│ 1   │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
│ 2   │ 4     │ 5     │ 6     │

Unfortunately I'm seeing this :

julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
2×3 DataFrame
Γöé Row Γöé 1     Γöé 2     Γöé 3     Γöé
Γöé     Γöé Int64 Γöé Int64 Γöé Int64 Γöé
Γö£ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓö╝ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓö╝ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓö╝ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöñ
Γöé 1   Γöé 1     Γöé 2     Γöé 3     Γöé
Γöé 2   Γöé 4     Γöé 5     Γöé 6     Γöé

This was working until a recent upgrade.  I have experimented with terminal set encoding and i can make the problem worse, but not better.
,
I've tried several terminal types, e.g. the xfce4 terminal, gnome terminal, rxvt.
They all give me incorrect displays, but rxvt gives me a different incorrect display.  lxterminal and rxvt-unicode give me the same output as shown in this email.

I've been trying to experiment with LC_ALL and related environment variables, but again, i can only make things worse.

Any ideas on what i might try ?

Thanks !

--
Brian

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-07 16:01 ` Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2020-05-07 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briand; +Cc: cygwin

Did you try to go back to Cygwin 3.0.7? At work, we had to do that, after
output from Maven (which is colored) gets corrupted after a change in 3.1.0
and onwards. The output problem we saw manifests itself slightly different
from yours, but it might be worth trying Cygwin 3.0.7 nonetheless.

- Eric L

@ 2020-05-07 16:32   ` briand
From: briand @ 2020-05-07 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Lilja; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 7 May 2020 18:01:59 +0200
Eric Lilja <mindcooler@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you try to go back to Cygwin 3.0.7? At work, we had to do that, after
> output from Maven (which is colored) gets corrupted after a change in 3.1.0
> and onwards. The output problem we saw manifests itself slightly different
> from yours, but it might be worth trying Cygwin 3.0.7 nonetheless.

i did not try that, i didn't even know you could go back to a previous version, but i'm definitely willing to try it.  Perhaps i could help figure out what's going on to fix it for a future release.  Also it was definitely a recent upgrade that broke it, so it's definitely worth trying.

I just took a look at the user guide and it's not obvious to me how to do this.

Can you point me at some documentation ?

Thanks!

--

@ 2020-05-07 17:31 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-05-07 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 07.05.2020 um 17:18 schrieb briand@pounceofcats.com:
> Hi,
>
> Doesn't matter what terminal i'm using, I'm having a problem with the way graphic characters print.
> Julia uses unicode output, and will generate output that should look like this:
>
> julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
> 2×3 DataFrame
> │ Row │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
> │     │ Int64 │ Int64 │ Int64 │
> ├─────┼───────┼───────┼───────┤
> │ 1   │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
> │ 2   │ 4     │ 5     │ 6     │
>
> Unfortunately I'm seeing this :
>
> julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
> 2×3 DataFrame
> Γöé Row Γöé 1     Γöé 2     Γöé 3     Γöé
> Γöé     Γöé Int64 Γöé Int64 Γöé Int64 Γöé
> Γö£ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓö╝ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓö╝ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓö╝ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöñ
> Γöé 1   Γöé 1     Γöé 2     Γöé 3     Γöé
> Γöé 2   Γöé 4     Γöé 5     Γöé 6     Γöé
>
> This was working until a recent upgrade.  I have experimented with terminal set encoding and i can make the problem worse, but not better.
> ,
> I've tried several terminal types, e.g. the xfce4 terminal, gnome terminal, rxvt.
> They all give me incorrect displays, but rxvt gives me a different incorrect display.  lxterminal and rxvt-unicode give me the same output as shown in this email.
>
> I've been trying to experiment with LC_ALL and related environment variables, but again, i can only make things worse.
>
> Any ideas on what i might try ?
>
> Thanks !

Assuming Julia is a not Cygwin program,
you can try "CYGWIN=disable_pcon" before any Cygwin process

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-07 20:07   ` briand
From: briand @ 2020-05-07 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri via Cygwin

On Thu, 7 May 2020 19:31:01 +0200
Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> > Any ideas on what i might try ?
> >
> > Thanks !
> >

> Assuming Julia is a not Cygwin program,
> you can try "CYGWIN=disable_pcon" before any Cygwin process

Did not help.

Thanks for that though, I had no idea those kind of env variables were available.

--

@ 2020-05-07 20:19     ` André Bleau
From: André Bleau @ 2020-05-07 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri via Cygwin

Brian wrote:

> Assuming Julia is a not Cygwin program,
> you can try "CYGWIN=disable_pcon" before any Cygwin process

Did not help.

Thanks for that though, I had no idea those kind of env variables were available.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Character display problems do not depend only on the program you run, in your case, "Julia", whatever that is, but also in
which terminal or console you run it, as it is the terminal that does the actual character display. If you run in in mintty for
example, you could try:

CYGWIN=disable_pcon /usr/bin/mintty

and run Julia in the just opened mintty. I just happened to have a similar issue. If interested, look at:

https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2020-May/244742.html

Regards,

- André Bleau

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-07 20:22     ` Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2020-05-07 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briand; +Cc: cygwin

You simply run the setup program, it's possible to select a few older
versions.

- Eric L

@ 2020-05-07 21:09       ` briand
From: briand @ 2020-05-07 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André Bleau via Cygwin

On Thu, 7 May 2020 20:19:29 +0000
André Bleau via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> > Assuming Julia is a not Cygwin program,
> > you can try "CYGWIN=disable_pcon" before any Cygwin process
>
> Did not help.
>
> Thanks for that though, I had no idea those kind of env variables were available.
>
> Brian
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Character display problems do not depend only on the program you run, in your case, "Julia", whatever that is, but also in
> which terminal or console you run it, as it is the terminal that does the actual character display. If you run in in mintty for
> example, you could try:
>
> CYGWIN=disable_pcon /usr/bin/mintty
>
> and run Julia in the just opened mintty. I just happened to have a similar issue. If interested, look at:
>
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2020-May/244742.html

Hi,

Julia is a programming language and what i've shown is the REPL for it.  I tried precisely what you showed there and it makes no difference at all.  I get the exact same display.

Humorously, it displays just fine in a windows cmd terminal.

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-07 21:11       ` briand
From: briand @ 2020-05-07 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Lilja; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 7 May 2020 22:22:56 +0200
Eric Lilja <mindcooler@gmail.com> wrote:

> You simply run the setup program, it's possible to select a few older
> versions.

oh, i was thinking i could simply select a previous version of cygwin as a whole.

are you talking about selecting previous versions of specific packages ?

it would be really difficult to figure out what i should try and roll back, although the terminal programs would obviously be the primary candidates.

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-07 21:26         ` Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2020-05-07 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briand; +Cc: cygwin

Cygwin itself is actually just DLL, you can select a previous version of it
in setup.exe. That solved our issue with corrupted display of Maven. You
can also install older versions of any package (but not all old versions
ever published will be available to choose from, just a few ones). Anyway,
my suggestion is downgrade Cygwin itself and see if that helps (if not, we
know the problem is elsewhere). All the other packages you can keep at
latest versions.

- Eric L

@ 2020-05-07 21:52         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-05-07 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-05-07 15:09, briand@pounceofcats.com wrote:
> On Thu, 7 May 2020 20:19:29 +0000
> André Bleau via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> Brian D wrote:
>>> Assuming Julia is a not Cygwin program,
>>> you can try "CYGWIN=disable_pcon" before any Cygwin process
>> Did not help.
>> Thanks for that though, I had no idea those kind of env variables were available.

>> Character display problems do not depend only on the program you run, in
>> your case, "Julia", whatever that is, but also in which terminal or console
>> you run it, as it is the terminal that does the actual character display.
>> If you run in in mintty for example, you could try:
>> CYGWIN=disable_pcon /usr/bin/mintty
>> and run Julia in the just opened mintty.
>> I just happened to have a similar issue. If interested, look at:
>> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2020-May/244742.html
> Julia is a programming language and what i've shown is the REPL for it.
> I tried precisely what you showed there and it makes no difference at all.
> I get the exact same display.
> Humorously, it displays just fine in a windows cmd terminal.

As that env var is interpreted by the main Cygwin process cygwin1.dll, which has
to be unloaded and reloaded, I'd set CYGWIN=disable_pcon in the System
environment, then shut down all Cygwin processes, as you would before running
setup, log off, and log on.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-07 22:10           ` briand
From: briand @ 2020-05-07 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Lilja; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 7 May 2020 23:26:37 +0200
Eric Lilja <mindcooler@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cygwin itself is actually just DLL, you can select a previous version of it
> in setup.exe. That solved our issue with corrupted display of Maven. You
> can also install older versions of any package (but not all old versions
> ever published will be available to choose from, just a few ones). Anyway,
> my suggestion is downgrade Cygwin itself and see if that helps (if not, we
> know the problem is elsewhere). All the other packages you can keep at
> latest versions.

success!

That did it.  What i find particularly strange is that it fixes the problem in mintty as well as the terminals i'm running in x-windows, for example the xfce4-terminal.

I had no idea such a thing as the cygwin.dll existed, i would have never have thought to try that.

Thanks very much for your help.

Now. If anyone is interested in figuring out what the problem is so that it can be fixed in the next version. Please let me know. I will be happy to help if i can.

--

@ 2020-05-07 22:12           ` briand
From: briand @ 2020-05-07 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 7 May 2020 15:52:06 -0600
Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca> wrote:

> As that env var is interpreted by the main Cygwin process cygwin1.dll, which has
> to be unloaded and reloaded, I'd set CYGWIN=disable_pcon in the System
> environment, then shut down all Cygwin processes, as you would before running
> setup, log off, and log on.

Given that Eric's suggestion to downgrade the cygwin.dll version to 3.07 worked, is it still worth trying this ?

I will if it might give someone an idea of what would need to be fixed on a future version.

--

@ 2020-05-08  2:31             ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2020-05-08  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-05-07 15:10, briand@pounceofcats.com wrote:
> On Thu, 7 May 2020 23:26:37 +0200
> Eric Lilja <mindcooler@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Cygwin itself is actually just DLL, you can select a previous version
>> of it
>> in setup.exe. That solved our issue with corrupted display of Maven.
>> You
>> can also install older versions of any package (but not all old
>> versions
>> ever published will be available to choose from, just a few ones).
>> Anyway,
>> my suggestion is downgrade Cygwin itself and see if that helps (if
>> not, we
>> know the problem is elsewhere). All the other packages you can keep at
>> latest versions.
>>

> success!

I'm glad that worked for you, but it may not a good long-term solution
unless you're willing to use old packages, too. New APIs are added to
the DLL from time to time, and that may cause packages compiled against
the new DLL that use the new APIs to fail if you keep the old DLL
installed.

Personally, I would use the CYGWIN=disable_pcon work-around and help the
maintainers track down the root cause of the issue so it can be fixed.

Regards,
David

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-08  2:47             ` André Bleau
From: André Bleau @ 2020-05-08  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian wrote:
__________________________________

success!

That did it.  What i find particularly strange is that it fixes the problem in mintty as well as the terminals i'm running in x-windows, for example the xfce4-terminal.

I had no idea such a thing as the cygwin.dll existed, i would have never have thought to try that.

Thanks very much for your help.

Now. If anyone is interested in figuring out what the problem is so that it can be fixed in the next version. Please let me know. I will be happy to help if i can.

Brian
__________________________________

It should be no surprise as both mintty and xfce4-terminal are both linked to cygwin.dll . One main difference between cygwin
version 3.0.x and 3.1.x is that pseudo-console (pcon) support has been added to cygwin. Pseudo-console is a new feature of
the latest versions of Windows 10.

- André

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-08  3:03             ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-05-08  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-05-07 16:12, Brian D wrote:
> On Thu, 7 May 2020 15:52:06 -0600, Brian Inglis wrote:
[please ensure all email addresses are stripped from the body]
>> As that env var is interpreted by the main Cygwin process cygwin1.dll, which has
>> to be unloaded and reloaded, I'd set CYGWIN=disable_pcon in the System
>> environment, then shut down all Cygwin processes, as you would before running
>> setup, log off, and log on.

> Given that Eric's suggestion to downgrade the cygwin.dll version to 3.07
> worked, is it still worth trying this ?> I will if it might give someone an idea of what would need to be fixed on a
> future version.
It might avoid problems the next time setup updates the cygwin package and dll.

@ 2020-05-08  3:12               ` briand
From: briand @ 2020-05-08  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rothenberger; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 07 May 2020 19:31:28 -0700
David Rothenberger <daveroth@acm.org> wrote:

> On 2020-05-07 15:10, briand@pounceofcats.com wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 May 2020 23:26:37 +0200
> > Eric Lilja <mindcooler@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Cygwin itself is actually just DLL, you can select a previous version
> >> of it
> >> in setup.exe. That solved our issue with corrupted display of Maven.
> >> You
> >> can also install older versions of any package (but not all old
> >> versions
> >> ever published will be available to choose from, just a few ones).
> >> Anyway,
> >> my suggestion is downgrade Cygwin itself and see if that helps (if
> >> not, we
> >> know the problem is elsewhere). All the other packages you can keep at
> >> latest versions.
> >>

> > success!
>
> I'm glad that worked for you, but it may not a good long-term solution
> unless you're willing to use old packages, too. New APIs are added to
> the DLL from time to time, and that may cause packages compiled against
> the new DLL that use the new APIs to fail if you keep the old DLL
> installed.
>
> Personally, I would use the CYGWIN=disable_pcon work-around and help the
> maintainers track down the root cause of the issue so it can be fixed.

ok. i'll have to give it a try per Brian Inglis' instructions and see if that makes the difference in that "fix" actually working.

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-08 15:01               ` briand
From: briand @ 2020-05-08 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 7 May 2020 21:03:01 -0600
Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca> wrote:

> On 2020-05-07 16:12, Brian D wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 May 2020 15:52:06 -0600, Brian Inglis wrote:
> [please ensure all email addresses are stripped from the body]
> >> As that env var is interpreted by the main Cygwin process cygwin1.dll, which has
> >> to be unloaded and reloaded, I'd set CYGWIN=disable_pcon in the System
> >> environment, then shut down all Cygwin processes, as you would before running
> >> setup, log off, and log on.
>
> > Given that Eric's suggestion to downgrade the cygwin.dll version to 3.07
> > worked, is it still worth trying this ?> I will if it might give someone an idea of what would need to be fixed on a
> > future version.
> It might avoid problems the next time setup updates the cygwin package and dll.

ok. went through that process and rebooted instead of logging off, just for good measure.

same problem.

downgrading to 3.07 is the only thing that works at this point.

--

@ 2020-05-08 18:41 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-05-08 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 07.05.2020 um 17:18 schrieb briand@pounceofcats.com:
> Hi,
>
> Doesn't matter what terminal i'm using, I'm having a problem with the way graphic characters print.
> Julia uses unicode output, and will generate output that should look like this:
>
> julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
> 2×3 DataFrame
> │ Row │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
> │     │ Int64 │ Int64 │ Int64 │
> ├─────┼───────┼───────┼───────┤
> │ 1   │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
> │ 2   │ 4     │ 5     │ 6     │

it works fine for me with
$ uname -svr
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.1.4(0.340/5/3) 2020-02-19 08:49

both on CMD console and Mintty
without need to disable pcon

julia> using DataFrames

julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
2×3 DataFrame
│ Row │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
│     │ Int64 │ Int64 │ Int64 │
├─────┼───────┼───────┼───────┤
│ 1   │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
│ 2   │ 4     │ 5     │ 6     │

what type of locale are you using ?
$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8

Regards
Marco

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-08 20:14   ` briand
From: briand @ 2020-05-08 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri via Cygwin

On Fri, 8 May 2020 20:41:55 +0200
Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Am 07.05.2020 um 17:18 schrieb briand@pounceofcats.com:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Doesn't matter what terminal i'm using, I'm having a problem with the way graphic characters print.
> > Julia uses unicode output, and will generate output that should look like this:
> >
> > julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
> > 2×3 DataFrame
> > │ Row │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
> > │     │ Int64 │ Int64 │ Int64 │
> > ├─────┼───────┼───────┼───────┤
> > │ 1   │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
> > │ 2   │ 4     │ 5     │ 6     │
> >

> it works fine for me with
> $ uname -svr
> CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.1.4(0.340/5/3) 2020-02-19 08:49
>
> both on CMD console and Mintty
> without need to disable pcon
>
> julia> using DataFrames
>
> julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
> 2×3 DataFrame
> │ Row │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
> │     │ Int64 │ Int64 │ Int64 │
> ├─────┼───────┼───────┼───────┤
> │ 1   │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
> │ 2   │ 4     │ 5     │ 6     │
>
> what type of locale are you using ?
> $ echo $LANG
> en_US.UTF-8

yes, that's the locale

--

@ 2020-05-09  6:32     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-05-09  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 08.05.2020 um 22:14 schrieb briand@pounceofcats.com:
> On Fri, 8 May 2020 20:41:55 +0200
> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>
>> Am 07.05.2020 um 17:18 schrieb briand@pounceofcats.com:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Doesn't matter what terminal i'm using, I'm having a problem with the way graphic characters print.
>>> Julia uses unicode output, and will generate output that should look like this:
>>>
>>> julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
>>> 2×3 DataFrame
>>> │ Row │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
>>> │     │ Int64 │ Int64 │ Int64 │
>>> ├─────┼───────┼───────┼───────┤
>>> │ 1   │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
>>> │ 2   │ 4     │ 5     │ 6     │
>>>

>> it works fine for me with
>> $ uname -svr
>> CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.1.4(0.340/5/3) 2020-02-19 08:49
>>
>> both on CMD console and Mintty
>> without need to disable pcon
>>
>> julia> using DataFrames
>>
>> julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
>> 2×3 DataFrame
>> │ Row │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
>> │     │ Int64 │ Int64 │ Int64 │
>> ├─────┼───────┼───────┼───────┤
>> │ 1   │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
>> │ 2   │ 4     │ 5     │ 6     │
>>
>> what type of locale are you using ?
>> $ echo $LANG
>> en_US.UTF-8
>
> yes, that's the locale

so it is not the DLL alone and it is not the locale
that is causing the problem you see.

Please provide the cygcheck.out as attachment
https://cygwin.com/problems.html

Which version of Julia are you running ?
How are you running Julia?
Do you have any custom user setup in Julia?
I just installed it and only installed the DataFrames package.

Can you install a parallel Cygwin with only Base category ?
I use C:\cygwin64T for my parallel Cygwin installation.
This will help to check if a fresh version without any
user customization and minimal packages works.
(I had problem with my X server and I found it was a
remain of old settings that worked for years)

any BLODA installed ?
https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

Regards
Marco

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-09  6:45       ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-05-09  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 09.05.2020 um 08:32 schrieb Marco Atzeri via Cygwin:
> Am 08.05.2020 um 22:14 schrieb briand@pounceofcats.com:
>> On Fri, 8 May 2020 20:41:55 +0200
>> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

>>> it works fine for me with
>>> $ uname -svr
>>> CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.1.4(0.340/5/3) 2020-02-19 08:49
>>>
>>> both on CMD console and Mintty
>>> without need to disable pcon
>>>
>>> julia> using DataFrames
>>>
>>> julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
>>> 2×3 DataFrame
>>> │ Row │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
>>> │     │ Int64 │ Int64 │ Int64 │
>>> ├─────┼───────┼───────┼───────┤
>>> │ 1   │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │ │ 2   │ 4     │ 5     │ 6 │
>>>
>>> what type of locale are you using ?
>>> $ echo $LANG
>>> en_US.UTF-8
>>
>> yes, that's the locale
>>

> so it is not the DLL alone and it is not the locale
> that is causing the problem you see.
>
> Please provide the cygcheck.out as attachment
> https://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> Which version of Julia are you running ?
> How are you running Julia?
> Do you have any custom user setup in Julia?
> I just installed it and only installed the DataFrames package.
Julia had a patch to enable UTF-8 output via Windows output functions in
previous cygwin versions.
I remember the details only vaguely right now, but it may be necessary
to remove that patch for cygwin from 3.1.0, or it might cause some kind
of double transformation.
Thomas

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-09  7:30         ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-05-09  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 09.05.2020 um 08:45 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
> Am 09.05.2020 um 08:32 schrieb Marco Atzeri via Cygwin:
>> Am 08.05.2020 um 22:14 schrieb briand@pounceofcats.com:

>>> yes, that's the locale
>>>

>> so it is not the DLL alone and it is not the locale
>> that is causing the problem you see.
>>
>> Please provide the cygcheck.out as attachment
>> https://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>
>> Which version of Julia are you running ?
>> How are you running Julia?
>> Do you have any custom user setup in Julia?
>> I just installed it and only installed the DataFrames package.
> Julia had a patch to enable UTF-8 output via Windows output functions in
> previous cygwin versions.
> I remember the details only vaguely right now, but it may be necessary
> to remove that patch for cygwin from 3.1.0, or it might cause some kind
> of double transformation.
> Thomas
> --

there is a Cygwin porting ?
I installed the last windows 64 binary
Current stable release: v1.4.1 (April 14, 2020)

and it works for me, I do not see the issue reported by Brian

Marco

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-09  7:41           ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-05-09  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 09.05.2020 um 09:30 schrieb Marco Atzeri via Cygwin:
> Am 09.05.2020 um 08:45 schrieb Thomas Wolff:

>>> so it is not the DLL alone and it is not the locale
>>> that is causing the problem you see.
>>>
>>> Please provide the cygcheck.out as attachment
>>> https://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>>
>>> Which version of Julia are you running ?
>>> How are you running Julia?
>>> Do you have any custom user setup in Julia?
>>> I just installed it and only installed the DataFrames package.
>> Julia had a patch to enable UTF-8 output via Windows output functions
>> in previous cygwin versions.
>> I remember the details only vaguely right now, but it may be
>> necessary to remove that patch for cygwin from 3.1.0, or it might
>> cause some kind of double transformation.
>> Thomas
>> --
>
> there is a Cygwin porting ?
No, it's not a cygwin porting. It's some initial stty setting.
Reference, not revealing details:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/7267#issuecomment-49097410
Another reference:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/28891#issuecomment-416149391
Thomas

@ 2020-05-09 20:37       ` briand
From: briand @ 2020-05-09 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri via Cygwin

On Sat, 9 May 2020 08:32:17 +0200
Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Please provide the cygcheck.out as attachment
> https://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> Which version of Julia are you running ?
1.4.1

> How are you running Julia?

i'm running the julia.exe from the Julia install bin directory, something like

/cygdrive/c/Users/[USERNAME]/AppData/Local/Programs/Julia/Julia-1.4.1/bin/julia.exe

I typed the above in, it might have a mistake in it, but you get the idea.

> Do you have any custom user setup in Julia?

NO i do not.  i use it as it's installed.

> I just installed it and only installed the DataFrames package.

that should be just fine.  it turns out you don't even need to do that.
if you are in the julia repl and do something like

julia> \phi<TAB>

i.e., typing in "\phi" and pressing the tab key, you should see the greek phi character if things are working properly.  if not you will see some bogus graphics characters.

> Can you install a parallel Cygwin with only Base category ?
> I use C:\cygwin64T for my parallel Cygwin installation.
> This will help to check if a fresh version without any
> user customization and minimal packages works.

oh good grief. now things have become really weird.

the problem i am having is with my work machine.  however i realized that i had not installed cygwin on my home machine, which is also W10.  i did that... and no problem, everything displays correctly !

then i went back to my work machine and did a parallel installation as you recommended and that turned out to be a bit of a problem.

I edited the path in the terminal icon to make sure it is running the mintty from the parallel installation, tried julia and ... it's still broken.

however, being paranoid that i still wasn't running from the correct install directory i went and ran mintty directly from the parallel install directory and things were broken on start, it looks like the path was not set-up correctly. running 'ls' gives me a command not found error, and julia is trying to invoke stty and getting a command not found error.

so i fixed PATH, that fixed those problems, ran julia, and still broken.

BTW, this is how julia was trying to invoke stty:

  stty raw -echo onlcr -ocrnl opost

i thought that might be helpful.

Unfortunately, because it's a work machine, i don't really feel comfortable posting the cygcheck output.  I tried to edit it, but there's just too much information that's specific to the directories and network that I would have to remove.

given the results on my home machine i'm wondering if i should simply save off my home directory, kill both cygwin directories and start from scratch...

Thanks for your continued help.

* Re: incorrect text mode graphic character display
@ 2020-05-09 21:32         ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-05-09 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 09.05.2020 um 22:37 schrieb briand@pounceofcats.com:
> On Sat, 9 May 2020 08:32:17 +0200
> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>

>> Can you install a parallel Cygwin with only Base category ?
>> I use C:\cygwin64T for my parallel Cygwin installation.
>> This will help to check if a fresh version without any
>> user customization and minimal packages works.
>
> oh good grief. now things have become really weird.
>
> the problem i am having is with my work machine.  however i realized that i had not installed cygwin on my home machine, which is also W10.  i did that... and no problem, everything displays correctly !
>
> then i went back to my work machine and did a parallel installation as you recommended and that turned out to be a bit of a problem.
>
> I edited the path in the terminal icon to make sure it is running the mintty from the parallel installation, tried julia and ... it's still broken.
>
> however, being paranoid that i still wasn't running from the correct install directory i went and ran mintty directly from the parallel install directory and things were broken on start, it looks like the path was not set-up correctly. running 'ls' gives me a command not found error, and julia is trying to invoke stty and getting a command not found error.

the path is usually incorrect if you are not running a login shell
"mintty -" is the way to require mintty to run a login shell

> so i fixed PATH, that fixed those problems, ran julia, and still broken.
>
> BTW, this is how julia was trying to invoke stty:
>
>    stty raw -echo onlcr -ocrnl opost
>
> i thought that might be helpful.
>
> Unfortunately, because it's a work machine, i don't really feel comfortable posting the cygcheck output.  I tried to edit it, but there's just too much information that's specific to the directories and network that I would have to remove.
>
> given the results on my home machine i'm wondering if i should simply save off my home directory, kill both cygwin directories and start from scratch...

compare the cygcheck outputs of the two machines, may be it will give
an hint.
you can also compare the outputs of "set"

> Thanks for your continued help.

The only way I succeed to screw up the graphics is forcing
mintty to use a NOT UTF-8 like ISO-8859-1 in the "Text Options"

  x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
2×3 DataFrame
│ Row │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
│     │ Int64 │ Int64 │ Int64 │
│ 1   │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
│ 2   │ 4     │ 5     │ 6     │

and probably does not like also a mismatch in locale
between bash and mintty.

I have not tested all the Terminal Type but it seems
that the usual xterm is working fine.

  Marco