* RE: documentation for windows
@ 2001-07-02 11:29 Steve Jorgensen
From: Steve Jorgensen @ 2001-07-02 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin@cygwin. Com (E-mail)

The apropos command may be even more useful to a newby.  I don't remember
how long I struggled the first time I wanted to rename a file.  The apropos
command searches the man and info pages for a key word, and reports the
relevant entries.

From: Michael Erdely @ 2001-07-02 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It may also be worth noting, since you are recommending this for
newbies, that you have to type "/usr/sbin/makewhatis" to create the
whatis database for apropos to be useful. ;-)

-ME

@ 2001-07-02 11:37 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2001-07-02 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jorgens, cygwin

Steve,

I love "apropos." If typing that gives you trouble, go with "man -k".

However, the important thing to note is that it's only searching the
synopsis text at the top of the man page, not the full text of the page.
Lastly, it searches for a character string, not a full word.

Randall Schulz

@ 2001-07-03 15:27   ` Jonadab the Unsightly One
From: Jonadab the Unsightly One @ 2001-07-03 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

# It may also be worth noting, since you are recommending this for
# newbies, that you have to type "/usr/sbin/makewhatis" to create the
# whatis database for apropos to be useful. ;-)

Wouldn't it be just as easy to grep /usr/man/man1/*
for your key word?  Or would that take longer?

--
Your font seems to be:    proportional     fixed
                                             ^

(Fontmeter only accurate for about 90% of fonts.)

* RE: documentation for windows
@ 2001-07-03 17:32     ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2001-07-03 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jonadab, cygwin

Jonadab,

Well, there's more to the manual than section 1, but that would be
accommodated with this variation:

grep /usr/man/man*/*

Then there's the fact that you'd get all the lines from all the man page
files, when what you want is to know the names of the commands on which to
run "man." So:

grep -l /usr/man/man*/*

But the real problem is that you'll probably get too many false hits this
way, since any old mention of the search pattern, regardless of whether the
man page author considered it a "key word" in the synoptic description of
the command.

You should be aware, too, that these files are man page _sources_ written
in nroff for the man macros (plus, possibly, tbl, eqn or others). This
could cause further false hits. In some cases, it might even cause a miss.

The pre-formatted pages for things that have already been "manned" are in
/usr/man/cat*, but the formatting, including lots of embedded grunk (like
backspace-encoded overtyping to get bold) and hyphenation, make grepping
problematic.

If you have no luck with apropos / man -k, then the grep technique might
work. Once up a time on a non-Unix system (MPW), I created an "apropos"
command that had options to control how much of a help file entry (the MPW
equivalent to man pages) would be searched. The default was still just the
synopsis.

By the way, I don't think speed would be a problem with your suggestion for
me, but I have two fast CPUs and pretty much the fastest disks and I/O
adaptor available today. From this standpoint, I'd suggest egrep, which I
use for all my "grepping" needs.

Randall Schulz

@ 2001-07-04 13:51   ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2001-07-04 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Monday 2 Jul 01, Michael Erdely writes:
> It may also be worth noting, since you are recommending this for
> newbies, that you have to type "/usr/sbin/makewhatis" to create the
> whatis database for apropos to be useful. ;-)

It makes sense (at least to me) to do this as part of setup, at the
end.

Meanwhile, I'll add this to the FAQ.

Cheers,
David