* RE: Install Crashes Windows
@ 2012-07-17  7:09 Daniel Cowdery
From: Daniel Cowdery @ 2012-07-17  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Thanks Larry,

I run windows update fairly frequently, so I can't imagine that would be the cause, unless you think I need to update my drivers manually??
Also please see my previous response (it didn't make it to the mailing list as I forgot to set as plain text.

"
Thanks Mark,

I tested the install again multiple times today and still not working. I completely uninstalled my AVG and deactivated my firewall and it still fails. I managed to see the process it was setting up when it crashes, I saw the file "CoreUtil" somewhere (not sure if it's of any relevance).

Also as a side note, I tested the install out on my gf's computer (running Win7) with the same settings and mirrors and the install worked fine without any issues.
"

Cheers,

Daniel Cowdery

* Re: Install Crashes Windows
@ 2012-07-17 16:46 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-07-17 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/17/2012 3:09 AM, Daniel Cowdery wrote:

> Thanks Larry,
>
> I run windows update fairly frequently, so I can't imagine that would be
> the cause, unless you think I need to update my drivers manually??

If Windows is up-to-date, then drivers are the next suspect (assuming it's
not BLODA of some sort).  The results of the bluescreen may point you to
your best suspect.  Otherwise, just run down the list and update them all
manually.

--
Larry

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

* Re: Install Crashes Windows
@ 2012-07-17  3:18   ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-07-17  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/16/2012 3:18 AM, Mark Geisert wrote:
> Daniel Cowdery writes:
>> For starters, I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit.
>> I run the Setup.exe file and select all the extra modules I require (on
>
> Suggestion: First limit yourself to the modules setup.exe installs by default.
> After that is working, you can always run setup.exe again to pick up the extra
> modules needed.
>
>> top of the default install), the extra modules i install are; bison,
>> make, automake, libiconv, libtool, python interpreter, gcc, g++, gdb.
>> The installation progresses all the way through downloading all the files,
>> then when it seems to be checking all the files it freezes then I get
>> the windows blue screen of death. When the computer starts up again
>> there is only the Cygwin libs it downloaded and half the installation in
>>   my C-Drive. I've tried repeating this installation 4 times now (after
>> deleting all the old Cygwin files each time). I've disabled my AVG
>> anti-virus software, and tried a different download mirror each time but
>>   still no luck.
>
> It's unlikely to be the downloading, but possibly could be something triggered
> by the post-install scripts.  Cygwin is entirely user-space; there are no device
> drivers or other kernel-level parts to it.  User-space code can't crash the
> system.  But there is specific software known to interact badly with Cygwin; we
> call it BLODA.

This also suggests that if you haven't updated your Windows environment and
drivers lately, now would be a good time.  It could resolve this problem for
you too.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2012-07-16  7:19 ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2012-07-16  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Daniel Cowdery writes:
> For starters, I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit.
> I run the Setup.exe file and select all the extra modules I require (on

Suggestion: First limit yourself to the modules setup.exe installs by default.
After that is working, you can always run setup.exe again to pick up the extra
modules needed.

> top of the default install), the extra modules i install are; bison,
> make, automake, libiconv, libtool, python interpreter, gcc, g++, gdb.
> The installation progresses all the way through downloading all the files,
> then when it seems to be checking all the files it freezes then I get
> the windows blue screen of death. When the computer starts up again
> there is only the Cygwin libs it downloaded and half the installation in
>  my C-Drive. I've tried repeating this installation 4 times now (after
> deleting all the old Cygwin files each time). I've disabled my AVG
> anti-virus software, and tried a different download mirror each time but
>  still no luck.

It's unlikely to be the downloading, but possibly could be something triggered
by the post-install scripts.  Cygwin is entirely user-space; there are no device
drivers or other kernel-level parts to it.  User-space code can't crash the
system.  But there is specific software known to interact badly with Cygwin; we
call it BLODA.

As the FAQ page <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda> says,
merely disabling BLODA is often not enough.  You have to uninstall it.  Read
that page for reasons why.  Maybe uninstalling AVG completely will help.
Good luck,

..mark

* Install Crashes Windows
@ 2012-07-15  9:47 Daniel Cowdery
From: Daniel Cowdery @ 2012-07-15  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Guys,

I know this is probably a very beginner question,
however I've scoured the internet and the Cygwin FAQ's and user guide
and i can't seem to find anything that works.

For starters, I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit.
I run the Setup.exe file and select all the extra modules I require (on
top of the default install), the extra modules i install are; bison,
make, automake, libiconv, libtool, python interpreter, gcc, g++, gdb.
The installation progresses all the way through downloading all the files,
then when it seems to be checking all the files it freezes then I get
the windows blue screen of death. When the computer starts up again
there is only the Cygwin libs it downloaded and half the installation in
 my C-Drive. I've tried repeating this installation 4 times now (after
deleting all the old Cygwin files each time). I've disabled my AVG
anti-virus software, and tried a different download mirror each time but
 still no luck.

Has anyone run into this issue before or have any suggestions on what the issue may be
Cheers,

Daniel Cowdery