* TeX now vs. Tex in legacy version
@ 2012-07-20  6:02 Fergus
From: Fergus @ 2012-07-20  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin ML; +Cc: Fergus

1. Currently, having recently upgraded, I can't use latex:
$ latex a8.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Cygwin)
  restricted \write18 enabled.
---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/latex.fmt doesn't match pdftex.pool
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
$
but I guess everybody in similarly situated.

2. I reverted to good old Cygwin Legacy. The command
$ latex a8.tex
works just fine and creates a8.dvi.
But - am I going crazy? - the command
$ xdvi a8.dvi
bash: xdvi: command not found
doesn't seem to exist. From memory I used it day after day, all those
years ago. Have I mis-remembered? There's no entry in
/etc/setup/installed.db. Don't want to have to re-install, and if so,
what package? There's no xdvi under release-legacy/.

Thank you, sorry for mind gaps,
Fergus

* Re: TeX now vs. Tex in legacy version
@ 2012-07-20 10:39 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-07-20 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/20/2012 2:01 AM, Fergus wrote:
> 1. Currently, having recently upgraded, I can't use latex:
> $ latex a8.tex
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Cygwin)
>   restricted \write18 enabled.
> ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/latex.fmt doesn't match pdftex.pool
> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

It looks like something went wrong with your installation of
texlive-collection-latex.  See

Ken

* Re: TeX now vs. Tex in legacy version
@ 2012-07-20 18:26   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-07-20 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
> On 7/20/2012 2:01 AM, Fergus wrote:
>> 1. Currently, having recently upgraded, I can't use latex:
>> $ latex a8.tex
>> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Cygwin)
>>   restricted \write18 enabled.
>> ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/latex.fmt doesn't match pdftex.pool
>> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>
> It looks like something went wrong with your installation of
> texlive-collection-latex.  See

This happened to me as well when first upgrading from teTeX to TeXlive.
The error message indicates that a different binary produced the format
file than the binary that is now trying to use it.  When this happens
after upgrading it seems to be related to a symlink not pointing to
where it should (in this case there seems to be a latex.exe file where
there should be a symlink from latex->pdftex.exe).  Since re-installing
the whole of TeXlive takes so much time I just re-linked everything and
ran the script that creates the format files.  I think the fact that
some of these links are created from texconfig may be the source of the
problem, maybe you could check if the installation really cleans all
symlinks (and unexpected executables where a symlink should be
installed) before creating the formats.  The executables generally
seem to come from the updated distribution, so I think it may just be an
interaction between some of the postinstall scripts.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: TeX now vs. Tex in legacy version
@ 2012-07-20 19:08     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-07-20 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/20/2012 2:25 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>> On 7/20/2012 2:01 AM, Fergus wrote:
>>> 1. Currently, having recently upgraded, I can't use latex:
>>> $ latex a8.tex
>>> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Cygwin)
>>>    restricted \write18 enabled.
>>> ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/latex.fmt doesn't match pdftex.pool
>>> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>>
>> It looks like something went wrong with your installation of
>> texlive-collection-latex.  See
>
> This happened to me as well when first upgrading from teTeX to TeXlive.
> The error message indicates that a different binary produced the format
> file than the binary that is now trying to use it.  When this happens
> after upgrading it seems to be related to a symlink not pointing to
> where it should (in this case there seems to be a latex.exe file where
> there should be a symlink from latex->pdftex.exe).  Since re-installing

There is no latex.exe in the Cygwin distribution.

> the whole of TeXlive takes so much time I just re-linked everything and
> ran the script that creates the format files.  I think the fact that
> some of these links are created from texconfig may be the source of the

The links are not created by texconfig.  For example, the link latex ->
pdftex.exe is in the installation tarball for texlive-collection-latex.
  So it should already be in place before any postinstall scripts are run.

> problem, maybe you could check if the installation really cleans all
> symlinks (and unexpected executables where a symlink should be
> installed) before creating the formats.  The executables generally
> seem to come from the updated distribution, so I think it may just be an
> interaction between some of the postinstall scripts.

I have no idea why some people are having this problem.  No one
reporting the problem has sent any information from their setup logs
that might indicate what went wrong.  They also haven't reported whether
or not the texlive-collection-* postinstall scripts have run successfully.

Ken

* Re: TeX now vs. Tex in legacy version
@ 2012-07-20 20:01       ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-07-20 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/20/2012 9:08 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> I have no idea why some people are having this problem.  No one
> reporting the problem has sent any information from their setup logs
> that might indicate what went wrong.  They also haven't reported whether
> or not the texlive-collection-* postinstall scripts have run successfully.
>
> Ken

some feedback could be red herring.

In my case I had a malfunction of texi2dvi after last
texlive package upgrade.

I had no setup error and all postinstall script were done.

running
  /usr/bin/fmtutil-sys --all

solved the issue.
I guess that an unexpected sequence between postinstall scripts could
have caused the issue, or eventually a residual .texmf directory on my home.

Other issue, not really important;

"/usr/bin/fmtutil-sys --all" produce these failure  messages

fmtutil: Error! Not all formats have been built successfully.
Visit the log files in directory
   /var/lib/texmf/web2c
for details.

This is a summary of all `failed' messages:
`xetex -ini  -jobname=xetex -progname=xetex -etex xetex.ini' failed
`xetex -ini  -jobname=xelatex -progname=xelatex -etex xelatex.ini' failed

Regards
Marco

* Re: TeX now vs. Tex in legacy version
@ 2012-07-20 20:06         ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2012-07-20 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2012-07-20 15:01, marco atzeri wrote:
> This is a summary of all `failed' messages:
> `xetex -ini  -jobname=xetex -progname=xetex -etex xetex.ini' failed
> `xetex -ini  -jobname=xelatex -progname=xelatex -etex xelatex.ini' failed

Do you have texlive-collection-xetex installed?  If not, then this is
harmless (and same goes for other such messages with --all).

Yaakov

* Re: TeX now vs. Tex in legacy version
@ 2012-07-20 20:17           ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-07-20 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/20/2012 10:06 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 2012-07-20 15:01, marco atzeri wrote:
>> This is a summary of all `failed' messages:
>> `xetex -ini  -jobname=xetex -progname=xetex -etex xetex.ini' failed
>> `xetex -ini  -jobname=xelatex -progname=xelatex -etex xelatex.ini' failed
>
> Do you have texlive-collection-xetex installed?  If not, then this is
> harmless (and same goes for other such messages with --all).
>

> Yaakov

xetex missing , I forgot to check

Regards
Marco

* Re: TeX now vs. Tex in legacy version
@ 2012-07-20 20:28       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-07-20 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
> There is no latex.exe in the Cygwin distribution.

Sorry if I had been unclear: I had a .exe file where there should have
been a symlink.  I was not trying to imply that Cygwin shipped with it.

> I have no idea why some people are having this problem.  No one
> reporting the problem has sent any information from their setup logs
> that might indicate what went wrong.  They also haven't reported
> whether or not the texlive-collection-* postinstall scripts have run
> successfully.

It's been a while since I had that problem.  As I said, I fixed the
links by hand and then re-created the formats (by looking through the
post-install scripts and then running the appropriate commands).  All
has been well ever since and the update from one TeXlive version to the
next has not been making any problems.

Regards,
Achim.