* cygwin setup version 2.909 not installing (silent mode) - bug or user error?
@ 2021-09-21 16:28 Jason Pyeron
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jason Pyeron @ 2021-09-21 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

If the last execution of the setup used download only and the setup is used with -q and without either -D or -L it still defaults to -D

Adding -Y does not change the behavior either.

Workaround was to launch setup, advance to “select download source”, select install, advance to next screen, abort, re-run silent install.

From setup --help:

-D --download                     Download packages from internet only

-L --local-install                Install packages from local directory only

-Y --prune-install                Prune the installation to only the requested

                                   packages

full command used:

$ ./profile/Downloads/setup-x86_64.exe -R 'c:\cygwin.postfix' -X -B -d -n -r -N -q -l 'C:\cygwin64\tmp\mirror' -f -o -P 'openssl-devel,libpq-devel,libmysqlclient-devel,libsqlite3-devel,openldap-devel,libpcre-devel,libdb-devel,libpq5,cygport' -s 'http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/64bit/2017/04/23/220725'

Starting cygwin install, version 2.909

User has NO backup/restore rights

Current Directory: C:\cygwin64\tmp\mirror

Selected local directory: C:\cygwin64\tmp\mirror

net: Preconfig

site: http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/64bit/2017/04/23/220725/

HTTP status 404 fetching http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/64bit/2017/04/23/220725/x86_64/setup.zst.sig

HTTP status 404 fetching http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/64bit/2017/04/23/220725/x86_64/setup.zst

HTTP status 404 fetching http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/64bit/2017/04/23/220725/x86_64/setup.xz.sig

solving: 9 tasks, update: yes, use test packages: no

solving: 2 tasks, update: no, use test packages: no

Augmented Transaction List:

   0 install crypt  1.4-1

   1 install libpq5 9.6.2-1

Ending cygwin install

* Re: cygwin setup version 2.909 not installing (silent mode) - bug or user error?
@ 2021-09-22  1:50 ` Richard Beels
       [not found] ` <20210922015129.EC1F13858403@sourceware.org>
From: Richard Beels @ 2021-09-22  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 9/21/2021 at 12:28, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Jason Pyeron's
keyboard and said:
>If the last execution of the setup used download only and the setup
>is used with -q and without either -D or -L it still defaults to -D
>
>Adding -Y does not change the behavior either.
>
>Workaround was to launch setup, advance to "select download source",
>select install, advance to next screen, abort, re-run silent install.
>
> From setup --help:
>-D --download                     Download packages from internet only
>-L --local-install                Install packages from local directory only
>-Y --prune-install                Prune the installation to only the requested
>                                    packages

I noticed this a while back, too, with .908.  I thought I mentioned
it but maybe not.

There are explicit switches for download (-D) only or local-install
(-L) but not for "install from the internet".  It looks like the
"last-action" setting in /etc/setup/setup.rc controls what is used as
the default for the next run: "Download", "Install" (local install)
and "Download, Install" (internet install).

At a minimum, it seems that the code currently is in contradiction to
the --help output: once you choose -L or -D, that becomes the default
mode for subsequent runs.  Until explicitly changed back by running
setup and clicking the appropriate button on the second dialog (or
editing the rc file?).

* Re: cygwin setup version 2.909 not installing (silent mode) - bug or user error?
@ 2021-09-22  1:50 ` Richard Beels
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Beels @ 2021-09-22  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Richard Beels @ 2021-09-22  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2021-10-01 14:58   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-10-01 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/09/2021 02:50, Richard Beels via Cygwin wrote:

> At 9/21/2021 at 12:28, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Jason Pyeron's
> keyboard and said:
>> If the last execution of the setup used download only and the setup is
>> used with -q and without either -D or -L it still defaults to -D
>>
>> Adding -Y does not change the behavior either.
>>
>> Workaround was to launch setup, advance to "select download source",
>> select install, advance to next screen, abort, re-run silent install.
>>
>> From setup --help:
>> -D --download                     Download packages from internet only
>> -L --local-install                Install packages from local
>> directory only
>> -Y --prune-install                Prune the installation to only the
>> requested
>>                                    packages
>
> I noticed this a while back, too, with .908.  I thought I mentioned it
> but maybe not.
>
> There are explicit switches for download (-D) only or local-install (-L)
> but not for "install from the internet".  It looks like the

So, it seems that the way to specify that is to use both -D and -L.

> "last-action" setting in /etc/setup/setup.rc controls what is used as
> the default for the next run: "Download", "Install" (local install) and
> "Download, Install" (internet install).
>
> At a minimum, it seems that the code currently is in contradiction to
> the --help output: once you choose -L or -D, that becomes the default
> mode for subsequent runs.  Until explicitly changed back by running
> setup and clicking the appropriate button on the second dialog (or
> editing the rc file?).

But yeah, the help text here is wrong. I'll look at correcting and
improving it.