* Updating Git
@ 2013-06-18 14:06 Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2013-06-18 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Would it be possible for the Git maintainer to update Git to a more recent
version than 1.7.9, which was released almost 18 months ago?  Git is now on
v1.8.3.1.

Alternatively, I'd be willing to take over the maintainership, although there
may be initial teething difficulties as I've only just managed to get Git
building on my machine, still see it failing some test cases, and have not
maintained a Cygwin package previously.

--
Adam Dinwoodie

Messages posted to this list are made in a personal capacity.

* Re: Updating Git
@ 2013-06-19  0:14 ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2013-06-19  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2013-06-18 08:11, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> Would it be possible for the Git maintainer to update Git to a more recent
> version than 1.7.9, which was released almost 18 months ago?  Git is now on
> v1.8.3.1.

FWIW, I have been using 1.8 versions for a little while without incident.

> Alternatively, I'd be willing to take over the maintainership, although there
> may be initial teething difficulties as I've only just managed to get Git
> building on my machine, still see it failing some test cases, and have not
> maintained a Cygwin package previously.

For whomever ends up updating git, I would propose a number of changes
from Ports:

http://cygwin-ports.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-ports/git

There are a number of packaging improvements there, splitting up extra
components by dependencies, installing all the documentation (to fix git
help -w), and a patch to use cygstart as the default "browser" (ditto).

Yaakov