* Fwd: INFO issues
       [not found] <CAFWZbCwgixYuYhtQqUMt6iPntTRWDq+Aungs99wQciXi_FG+SA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-09-02 15:37 ` Thiers Botelho
From: Thiers Botelho @ 2013-09-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I'm a new user of CygWin and a former user of some Linux distros.

I'm having the following issue with the 'info' command:

thiers@Win-Samsung ~
$ info
info: dir: No such file or directory

I did some searches, but really... searching stuff where 'info' is the
keyword is bound to, and DOES, return a lot of useless 'info'...

I've searched the CygWin mailing list; what I've got is the
not-so-clear suspicion that I need to 'install' something. Here are
the closest leads I've got - they're 13 years old:

https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00005.html
### this guy had the same issue I'm having.

https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00126.html
### then this guy suggested running some kind of hand-made script (not
really meaningful to me) around the install-info command (which indeed
exists in my CygWin folder)

https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00184.html
### and this other guy suggested using command 'gen-dir-node' (which I
didn't find in my CygWin build).

So what I'd like to know is, are there any clear instructions
somewhere about how to make the 'info' command work properly under
Cygwin ??

Thx a lot and cheers

Thiers

* Re: Fwd: INFO issues
@ 2013-09-03  0:29   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2013-09-03  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/2/2013 11:36 AM, Thiers Botelho wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a new user of CygWin and a former user of some Linux distros.
>
> I'm having the following issue with the 'info' command:
>
> thiers@Win-Samsung ~
> $ info
> info: dir: No such file or directory
>
> I did some searches, but really... searching stuff where 'info' is the
> keyword is bound to, and DOES, return a lot of useless 'info'...
>
> I've searched the CygWin mailing list; what I've got is the
> not-so-clear suspicion that I need to 'install' something. Here are
> the closest leads I've got - they're 13 years old:
>
> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00005.html
> ### this guy had the same issue I'm having.
>
> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00126.html
> ### then this guy suggested running some kind of hand-made script (not
> really meaningful to me) around the install-info command (which indeed
> exists in my CygWin folder)
>
> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00184.html
> ### and this other guy suggested using command 'gen-dir-node' (which I
> didn't find in my CygWin build).
>
> So what I'd like to know is, are there any clear instructions
> somewhere about how to make the 'info' command work properly under
> Cygwin ??

There's a postinstall script called 'update-info-dir.sh' which is
supposed to get run automatically by setup.exe to create the info
directory.  If this didn't happen for some reason, you can run it
manually.  (Look for it in /etc/postinstall.)  In case you don't have
it, here are the contents:

#!/bin/bash
rm -f /usr/info/dir.info /usr/share/info/dir.info /usr/info/dir
/usr/share/info/dir
for d in /usr/info /usr/share/info; do
     for f in $d/*; do
	case "$f" in
	    *\**)
		;;
	    */dir|*/dir.info*)
		;;
	    *-[0123456789]*)
		;;
	    *)
		install-info --quiet $f /usr/share/info/dir ||
		install-info  --quiet --entry="* $$f ($f): $$f" $$f /usr/share/info/dir
		;;
	esac
     done
done >/dev/null 2>&1