* Tools can't find ncurses
@ 2013-09-14 19:35 wynfield
From: wynfield @ 2013-09-14 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

VERS: orpie-1.5.1.

./configure  --with-ncurses

checking for working ncurses... no
configure: error: Cannot find a curses library.  Perhaps you failed to install an ncurses development package?

But I do have ncurses as the result from cygcheck shows below:
 ls /bin/*ncurses*
/bin/cygncurses++-10.dll   /bin/cygncurses7.dll     /bin/ncurses6-config
/bin/cygncurses++-8.dll    /bin/cygncurses-8.dll    /bin/ncursesw5-config
/bin/cygncurses++-9.dll    /bin/cygncurses-9.dll    /bin/ncursesw6-config
/bin/cygncurses++w-10.dll  /bin/cygncursesw-10.dll
/bin/cygncurses-10.dll     /bin/ncurses5-config

and cygcheck displays:
    x86/libncurses-devel/libncurses-devel-5.7-18
    x86/libncurses10/libncurses10-5.7-18
    x86/libncurses7/libncurses7-5.3-4
    x86/libncurses7/libncurses7-5.3-4-src
    x86/libncurses8/libncurses8-5.5-10
    x86/libncurses8/libncurses8-5.5-10-src
    x86/libncurses9/libncurses9-5.7-16
    x86/libncurses9/libncurses9-5.7-16-src
    x86/libncursesw-devel/libncursesw-devel-5.7-18
    x86/libncursesw10/libncursesw10-5.7-18

I realize that there is an Orpie already in cygwin's repository, but I need to build it, as I am adding new functionality to it and want to extend it.

If anyone knows why the build tools/scripts can not find the ncurses library and how I can patch it, please let know.

Regards

* Re: Tools can't find ncurses
@ 2013-09-14 22:42 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2013-09-14 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 14.09.2013 17:15, schrieb wynfield@gmail.com:
> VERS: orpie-1.5.1.
>
> ./configure  --with-ncurses
>

> checking for working ncurses... no
> configure: error: Cannot find a curses library.  Perhaps you failed to install an ncurses development package?
The files you quoted are the runtime libraries. "ncurses development
package" addresses /usr/lib/ncurses.h which is usually included during
build.
Use setup to install ncurses-devel.

> But I do have ncurses as the result from cygcheck shows below:
>   ls /bin/*ncurses*
> /bin/cygncurses++-10.dll   /bin/cygncurses7.dll     /bin/ncurses6-config
> /bin/cygncurses++-8.dll    /bin/cygncurses-8.dll    /bin/ncursesw5-config
> /bin/cygncurses++-9.dll    /bin/cygncurses-9.dll    /bin/ncursesw6-config
> /bin/cygncurses++w-10.dll  /bin/cygncursesw-10.dll
> /bin/cygncurses-10.dll     /bin/ncurses5-config
>
> and cygcheck displays:
>      x86/libncurses-devel/libncurses-devel-5.7-18
>      x86/libncurses10/libncurses10-5.7-18
>      x86/libncurses7/libncurses7-5.3-4
>      x86/libncurses7/libncurses7-5.3-4-src
>      x86/libncurses8/libncurses8-5.5-10
>      x86/libncurses8/libncurses8-5.5-10-src
>      x86/libncurses9/libncurses9-5.7-16
>      x86/libncurses9/libncurses9-5.7-16-src
>      x86/libncursesw-devel/libncursesw-devel-5.7-18
>      x86/libncursesw10/libncursesw10-5.7-18
>
> I realize that there is an Orpie already in cygwin's repository, but I need to build it, as I am adding new functionality to it and want to extend it.
>
> If anyone knows why the build tools/scripts can not find the ncurses library and how I can patch it, please let know.
>
> Regards
>
> --

* Re: Tools can't find ncurses
@ 2013-09-17  1:08   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2013-09-17  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 9/14/2013 15:48, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 14.09.2013 17:15, schrieb wynfield@gmail.com:
>> checking for working ncurses... no
>> configure: error: Cannot find a curses library.  Perhaps you failed to
>> install an ncurses development package?

You may be able to dig more details out of config.log.  It'll be
thousands of lines long, and the error is rarely right at the end.  So,
look for something like "-lncurses" or "curses.h".  The helpful bits in
that file will be nearby.  (And not necessarily *after* the matching line!)

You're looking for the test program source emitted by the configure
script and the errors your compiler gave when trying to compile it.

Yes, but OP said:

>> and cygcheck displays:
>>      x86/libncurses-devel/libncurses-devel-5.7-18

So, since the development package does seem to be installed, what does
"cygcheck -c libncurses-devel" say?

* Re: Tools can't find ncurses
@ 2013-09-17  8:13     ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2013-09-17  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 17.09.2013 01:24, schrieb Warren Young:
> On 9/14/2013 15:48, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Am 14.09.2013 17:15, schrieb wynfield@gmail.com:
>>> checking for working ncurses... no
>>> configure: error: Cannot find a curses library.  Perhaps you failed to
>>> install an ncurses development package?
>
> You may be able to dig more details out of config.log.  It'll be
> thousands of lines long, and the error is rarely right at the end.
> So, look for something like "-lncurses" or "curses.h".  The helpful
> bits in that file will be nearby.  (And not necessarily *after* the
> matching line!)
>
> You're looking for the test program source emitted by the configure
> script and the errors your compiler gave when trying to compile it.
>
>> The files you quoted are the runtime libraries.
>
> Yes, but OP said:
>
>>> and cygcheck displays:
>>>      x86/libncurses-devel/libncurses-devel-5.7-18
>
> So, since the development package does seem to be installed, what does
> "cygcheck -c libncurses-devel" say?
Oh, I overlooked that one, as it starts with "lib" - I don't understand
that output format of cygcheck, actually.

Another issue comes to my mind: cygwin (like some Linux distributions)
does not provide ncurses.h in /usr/include anymore but hides it in
/usr/include/ncurses and /usr/include/ncursesw. This may likely be the
problem; traditional packages don't find it there.
--
Thomas

* Re: Tools can't find ncurses
@ 2013-09-17  9:12       ` wynfield
From: wynfield @ 2013-09-17  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I had the same problem with ncurses, and in the config.log file found out that the ncurses.h was not being found.

I manually changed the configure script line
#include <ncurses.h>     to --->  #include <ncurses/ncurses.h>

and configure got past that.

The next and what I expect to be the last configure error is now related to the Gnu Scientific Library (GSL)

configure can't find   gsl-config   and indeed there is not any.
and there is no gls-dev  package on the cygwin site.

Is this an oversite?   Or is there a gsl-dev  development package and a gsl-cofig program in a pklace I can't find on the cygwin package repository?

Thanks

Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net> wrote:

> Am 17.09.2013 01:24, schrieb Warren Young:
> >
> > You may be able to dig more details out of config.log.  It'll be
> > thousands of lines long, and the error is rarely right at the end.
> > So, look for something like "-lncurses" or "curses.h".  The helpful
> > bits in that file will be nearby.  (And not necessarily *after* the
> > matching line!)
> >
> > You're looking for the test program source emitted by the configure
> > script and the errors your compiler gave when trying to compile it.
> >
> >> The files you quoted are the runtime libraries.

> > So, since the development package does seem to be installed, what
> > does "cygcheck -c libncurses-devel" say?
> Oh, I overlooked that one, as it starts with "lib" - I don't
> understand that output format of cygcheck, actually.
>
> Another issue comes to my mind: cygwin (like some Linux distributions)
> does not provide ncurses.h in /usr/include anymore but hides it in
> /usr/include/ncurses and /usr/include/ncursesw. This may likely be the
> problem; traditional packages don't find it there.
> --
> Thomas
>
> --

* Re: Tools can't find ncurses
@ 2013-09-17 13:47         ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2013-09-17 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 9/17/2013 02:13, wynfield@gmail.com wrote:

> there is no gls-dev  package on the cygwin site.

Run Cygwin's setup*.exe, then in the Search box on the Select Packages
screen, type "gsl".  That will narrow the list of top-level categories
to Debug, Devel, and Libs.  Open Devel, and notice that one of the few
options remaining is gsl-devel.

Cygwin doesn't use -dev as a package suffix.  It's always -devel.